Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Mountain Penguins (Read 16 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

As in, I get to start the thread because I'm in the mountain time zone and because I am in the mountains. Smile

Today is the second day of my Denver conference. I was able to get in 8 yesterday afternoon. We will see how today goes. Ginny, I flew in after work on Tuesday.

PADRunner

Morning Z, enjoy the mountains.

4 more on the TM this morning. Ginny, it's just cold, in the 30s. a lot easier to just throw on a pair of shorts and hop on the treadmill than to get all dressed to run in the dark.

From the Internet.

Still impossible to run outside right now so I'll be doing 6 or 8ish on the treadmill later, maybe with some HMP or tempo stuff thrown in, all easy if the legs start to feel tight. I found and smooshed out an absolutely hideous trigger point in my left calf yesterday and my leg feels about a thousand times better today - probably going to have it dry needled next week.

Singer who runs a smidge

Good morning, Penguins!!  Well, we ended up with about six inches of snow, which of course crippled the entire state.  My university was closed on Tuesday and I took yesterday off to give the snow a chance to melt.  Not that the temps got above freezing ... anyway, I braved the remaining ice and snow to get to work today.  DH was leery of me driving, so he and Dusty came with me, which is always a hoot.  Certainly it makes my office smell interesting!  (Because of Dusty, not DH.)  Chorus is cancelled tonight because of the weather and frigid temps.

Zelanie -- Hope you're enjoying running in Denver!!

PAD -- Glad you're getting the TM runs done!!

Lauren -- Glad you smooshed the trigger point!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

SRD for me and some potentially bad news. I think I have posterior tibial tendonitis, dammit. That is the ankle thing that has been bugging me. I might have to shut it down for a bit to see if the swelling and pain go away. This is depressing.    We'll see...

GinnyinPA

Jack - a few days rest may be all it takes to heal your tendonitis.  When I was on the AT the first time, I had bad tendonitis in my ankle while hiking in the Smokies (slipping and sliding on snow and mud).  I could barely walk and it got to the point that each step was painful.  I took three days off in town and then was able to hike out with no problems.  The same ankle has come back to haunt me a few times since, but never for very long.

Z - is the altitude affecting your running?  I hope you have sunshine and clear skies with lots of views as you run.

PAD - I've never tried to run in the dark, but I can definitely see preferring the TM to dodging ice patches.

Lauren - good job finding the knot.  Enjoy your TM miles later.

HM - you got a lot more snow than we got.  I hope it melts soon.  In the meantime, enjoy having company at the lab.  What does DH do while you're working?

AFM:  short run later, on the TM of course. Our high today is 14F (feels like -5 at the moment).  Tomorrow's high is 15.  This is getting old.  If I'd wanted these temps, I would have moved to Montana, where at least I'd have pretty mountains to look at.

Singer who runs a smidge

HM - you got a lot more snow than we got.  I hope it melts soon.  In the meantime, enjoy having company at the lab.  What does DH do while you're working?

He works on his websites.  At least I assume that's what he's doing, since he's muttering "Why does that page keep crashing?" and "What did I name that file?" 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hey, guys.  Ran 11 with 2 X 3 miles at MP this morning in super windy (but "cold") weather.  Very nice.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

He works on his websites.  At least I assume that's what he's doing, since he's muttering "Why does that page keep crashing?" and "What did I name that file?" 

LOL.

Damaris

hog4life

Jack, dang dabbitt, that just sucks. And after I Google'd it, that's a double suck. I hope you find relief very quickly.

Cold temps are here in N Bama, but I will run tonight before the precipitation gets here tomorrow.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Fine run/walk yesterday after work.  Weather was great!  Sunny, 65 degrees, light wind.    Did 4 miles of hills at Fort Sam Houston.  Usually this route with the big hills (5 total uphills and these ain't no small hills either) takes me about 46 to 47 minutes but yesterday I finished the route dead-on at 44 minutes exactly.  Not speedy, but speedier than I usually am for this route.  Must be due to some of the pounds I've lost.    Today will be a pleasant 3 or so miles along some trails. And another nice day for it....temp is going up to 71 degrees around here today!

You're able to run in Denver, Zelanie?  Doesn't Colorado have REAL winter?  Must be damn cold outside!  Or are you running on a TM at the hotel?

Umm, sorry PAD, down here in San Antonio this morning, our temp was 42 at 6 a.m.   Guess we get those 'warm air' currents more than y'all do up there in North Texas.

Glad you triggered your leg into feeling better, Lauren!   You know...that's how Roy Rogers was always able to get around...he used Trigger points! 

Aren't you in Richmond area, HsM?  And 6 inches closed you out?   I seem to recall Virginia getting lots more snow than that at times, when I was growing up there....and it was still business as usual.   And, of course, when I was young, we had to walk a MILE to the bus stop and then if the bus didn't show, we just went ahead an walked the 2 miles to school...and....     So if Dusty went to work with you...did that make him a LAB retriever for a while?

Jack, don't believe a damn thing Dr. Google tells you....a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...you can scare the hell out of yourself sometimes with what you search!  Go see an ACTUAL doctor.  Hey, maybe an excuse for a road trip....go to Florida, FE with Damaris and have her hubby check you out. 

Gail lived in Montana, Ginny.  She said after a while - especially in winter - those mountains got pretty damn annoying.  So she moved to Hawaii, lol.  Good thing for me, though..that's where I met her!  I keep telling ya...winter escape to San Antonio for a few days...I'll take you running on the Riverwalk, followed by drinks. 

Congrats on beating your asthma today, Damaris!  Always amazes me how you can run like you do after all you have overcome. You really are an inspiration.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Jack, dang dabbitt, that just sucks. And after I Google'd it, that's a double suck. I hope you find relief very quickly.

Cold temps are here in N Bama, but I will run tonight before the precipitation gets here tomorrow.

How cold, Mitch?  And here I thought your Bama weather was more like our San Antonio weather.  Sorry for you that it's not.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

tracilynn

Jack, NOOOOO oh that sucks. I have dealt with peroneal tendon stuff in my ankle, it swelled too. An ankle brace helps mine (immobilizer type) and a soft one when I start back running.  I will have to google the type you have.  Huge bummer.

I ran 4 miles total with 25 mins at tempo this morn on the TM. Feels like is 0° here this morn.  shin was sore. PT this morning and she worked on trigger points. I had several bad ones. She also taped my shin.

Zel, any site seeing?

hello to lauren, Mitch, pad, hopes, ginny and damaris

~~~~~~~

Traci

Singer who runs a smidge

Here's the view out of our back door.  NOTHING like what some of you are getting!!

And here's Dusty being a LAB dog!!