Beginners and Beyond

Warming up for a race.... (Read 80 times)

Will run for scenery.

In all my races so far, my goal was merely to finish.  I never really warmed up beforehand, just some nervous stretches and fidgeting.  The race itself was where my body got warmed up.

This weekend I'm doing a 10 miler, and I want to go as fast as I'm able.  On the one hand, I know my (50 yo) body is slow and creaky for the first mile. OTOH, 10 miles is the longest I've run this season (once) and there wasn't much gas left in the tank.

I'd like to hear any tips or viewpoints on warm-up strategy that might be helpful.

Another issue is that in order not to start at the very rear, I'll need to queue up early and stand around for maybe 15 minutes.  So even if I warm up way beforehand, won't I just end up starting (almost) from scratch ?

I'm guessing I'll just do a small amount (1/4 mi) of light shuffling before joining the scrum.  But I'd like to hear how others deal with the issue.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Love the Half

Honestly, if you have to stand around for 15 minutes or more, I don't see much point in warming up.  I'm typically anal about my warm up but I did absolutely nothing at Boston because you spend so much time walking around and standing and waiting to start.  Moreover, there's not exactly any way to warm up unless you happen to be in the very front.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Zelanie

I did a 10 miler in March and did a mile very slowly, then a mile with strides.  Then I stood around and got photos taken with a group and waited for the start.  I can't say for sure that the warmup helped or hurt, but it was my best race I've ever run.  Hope you enjoy yours, however you decide to warm up!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I usually go just shy of a mile.  I have a mental block about giving away a mile worth of effort from my race so I'm stingy with it.

Contrast that with my epic disdain for the first mile blues and it's definitely a balancing act for me.

Just try to pretend you're getting the joints and lungs primed.  Maybe 1/2 mile's worth for your 10 miler.

Randy

Ive heard the longer the race the shorter the warmup so very little for a marathon but for a 5k I have run the course as a warmup.

Also depends on your fitness level. If you are running a half marathon at a pretty full on clip from the word go then you need to warmup ready to hit that pace but if you are just looking at finishing then you can start slow and warm up into the race.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

LRB

My warmup is just about 3 miles total and includes 1.5 to 2 miles easy running, 3 to 5 minutes at 10k pace, then a series of strides.

Ideally, I would like to be done about 10 minutes before the start of a race, but 15 minutes is not a deal breaker.

For a marathon, I use the first mile as a warmup, no different than when in training.

I would think at 10 miles, you would want to at least run easy for 5 to 10 minutes beforehand if nothing else.

Good luck by the way, we have been waiting for this!

Love the Half

I think folks are ignoring how long he's going to be standing around.  At some point, there really is no point in doing a warm up.  To use an extreme example, what if you were going to be standing around for an hour?  Would you still go out and do your warm up?  No.  Then, the warm up becomes counterproductive because your body functions will return to normal and you'll stiffen up.  I don't know precisely where that point in time is but 15 minutes is damn close to it and this is coming from someone who does very extensive warm ups for races of all distances short of ultras.  There are times though when you really are better off not doing one.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Warm up and bounce around as much as possible in the queue.  Smile

DavePNW

nervous stretches and fidgeting

That's not a warmup?

Dave

TakeAHike

I think folks are ignoring how long he's going to be standing around.  At some point, there really is no point in doing a warm up.  To use an extreme example, what if you were going to be standing around for an hour?  Would you still go out and do your warm up?  No.  Then, the warm up becomes counterproductive because your body functions will return to normal and you'll stiffen up.  I don't know precisely where that point in time is but 15 minutes is damn close to it and this is coming from someone who does very extensive warm ups for races of all distances short of ultras.  There are times though when you really are better off not doing one.

I wonder if there is some research on this.  Most of my races are big NYRR events.  They usually close the corrals 10 minutes before the race. For the Brooklyn Half they closed the corrals 30 minutes before the race.  I always jog a couple miles and do a few strides before these races.  I honestly don't know if this helps or hurts, but I see a lot of the fastest runners doing the same thing.  That doesn't make it a good idea, but it appears to work for them.

I recognize that it would be better if I could finish my warm up a few minutes before the race, but that is not an option in these races.  My gut tells me that a light warm up 30 minutes before the race is better than effectively rolling out of bed and trying to run sub 7 miles.

OP - If your longest run of the year is 10 miles, I probably wouldn't warm up at all and just use the first couple miles to warm up.  That said, I don't think your idea of doing a quarter mile light jog would hurt in any way.  If it feels right, do it.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I would do a 2 mile run to warmup but make sure you are running through the time you need to go to the corrals.  The 15 minutes standing will probably make the warmup moot but I wonder if you can line up a bit later.  If you do the run and stand there, make sure to move as much as you can while waiting.

Otherwise, treat the first 1-2 miles easy to get warm.

Damaris

Baboon

delicate flower

I'm with LtH.  If I'm standing around for 15 minutes, I won't bother with a warm up.  My normal warm up is usually 1-1.5 miles regardless of distance.  I don't do a marathon warm up.

<3

bluerun

Super B****

I'm with LtH.  If I'm standing around for 15 minutes, I won't bother with a warm up.

Pretty much me... I have never warmed up for a race before.  The larger ones are just too big and I spend too much time waiting to reach the starting line, and the smaller ones are usually so small that they run late, which means I'll have warmed up and cooled down before they actually start.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Resident Historian

With a 15 minute wait, no doubt some of the warm-up effect will be lost in terms of keeping HR up.  But there has to be some benefit from a mile+ of easy running and some strides -- even after 15 min you'll be looser than if you hadn't run at all that morning.  You don't stiffen up that quickly after a short run.

Personally my warmup is similar to LRB, but if 10 miles is your long run, ~1 mile is OK.

Agree with LTH on not warming up for a marathon, other than just enough to get legs loose.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Will run for scenery.

Thanks for all the replies !  I was so busy today (work and playing hookey from work) that I didn't have time to check in.

I certainly won't be doing an LRB warmup !  That's about what I do on my hard speed workout days !

This run doesn't have corrals, just a whole mess of people getting in line early.  Last year I (intentionally) held back and started at the very back. Even doing my speedwalking, I was passing a ton of folks - lots of weaving and navigating.  So one option this year would be to do the same.  Warm up a little right before the gun, let the masses take off, and start last (the race is chip timed).  I just wonder if the traffic would slow me down more than it was worth.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!