Beginners and Beyond

NYCMarathon Weekend Penguins (Read 38 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

It's Showtime sapf and Kristin.  Good Luck !!!

Short recovery run for us after the rain stops.  Then it's football and trick or treaters for the rest of the day.

Have a Happy Halloween and don't forget to turn your clocks back.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  I have some miles on the TM tonight, because it's still Summer.

Good luck to sapf and Kristin tomorrow!

Damaris

GinnyinPA

Good luck to Jill and Kristin tomorrow.  Have fun.

RD here.  We'll head to Gettysburg this afternoon to pick up my race bib and figure out parking etc. for tomorrow.  We will probably drive the HM course since I haven't been on it for a while and I don't really remember it..

Jerry - I hope you get a dry run in today.

D - good luck on the TM.

PADRunner

Good luck to sapf and Kristin!

5 done on the TM this morning.

Brilliant

Jill, Kristin, and Ginny - good luck!

Jerry, sounds like a fun day.

D, will trick-or-treaters come knocking while you're on the TM?

PAD, why on the treadmill?  Are you rained in?

I ran 11.6 this morning.  5.5 easy, then 4.25 at MP, then 1.8 slow uphill back to my house  That hill is my nemesis.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good luck in Gettysburg, Ginny.  Is that a hilly course?

Zelanie

Continuing my streak of training harder than I race, I ran a 10k today in "good thing my log is private" time. It was 2 loops of a golf course, so tiny rolling hills the whole time, so when I hit a monster hill at 2.6 and knew I'd see it again, my legs just said FTS. I did get 2nd in my AG and nice bling.

Brilliant

Congrats, Zel!!  Nice to get an AG award even when you don't PR!

GinnyinPA

Z - sounds like everybody had a hard time with the hill.  Congratulations on the bling.

Jerry - the course shouldn't be too hilly.  I haven't run it before and though I tried to drive the course today, the access was closed with road construction.  I asked someone at the expo how to get over the course and he said, "It's too confusing.  You'll just get lost."  So I decided to forego the run through.  I've run one of the two loops a year ago and it wasn't too bad.  RA says the total elevation gain is only 500 or so, so my Garmin will probably say 300 or so.

Mitch - how was your race?

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Continuing my streak of training harder than I race, I ran a 10k today in "good thing my log is private" time. It was 2 loops of a golf course, so tiny rolling hills the whole time, so when I hit a monster hill at 2.6 and knew I'd see it again, my legs just said FTS. I did get 2nd in my AG and nice bling.

So was that 36 holes?  What was your score?

Zelanie

So was that 36 holes?  What was your score?

Um? 0? 

Amazonian Princess

Congrats, Zelanie!

Good luck sapf, Kristin, and Ginny!

Picked up my bib for the Two Cities HM; no pre-printed personalization (but they left an open space to do it yourself) and only a quarter page flyer in the swag bag. Thin cotton tee instead of tech this year. Hoping course support isn't down-sized, too 

Got a pedicure afterwards with tiny metal stars glued on each big toenail because I need to feel shiny 

I can. I will. I am. 

LRB

...and don't forget to turn your clocks back.

Now I'm confused. Don't the clocks do that automatically these days?

Zelanie

Now I'm confused. Don't the clocks do that automatically these days?