Beginners and Beyond

KC's Chicago Marathon RR (Read 31 times)

LRB

Perhaps a dumb question, but why do we run marathons?

For the glory my dear, strictly for the glory. 

LRB

Nice job, KC. You went out there and kicked that thing in the ass. It's a feeling I've never had during the marathon. I'm happy for you!

Cyberic

Congrats on a very well raced marathon. A positive split of less than 30 seconds is really excellent.

DavePNW

For the glory my dear, strictly for the glory. 

I was going to say because we're stupid, but OK.

Nicely done, KC! Congrats on the big PR, and just about as close to even splits as you'll get. That's the way to do it. Glad the McMillan plan worked for you - I bought one of those online as well, which got me my BQ. Always good to switch it up a little.

If this is your 3rd Chicago - I was going to say pretty soon you'll catch up to Damaris. But I'm not sure she'll let you, because that'd mean she'd have to skip a year.

I think I will have to put this race on my list at some point, since it's my hometown and all.

What's next?

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Congratulations on meeting all of your goals (I got a smile from #4).  Sounds like you had a great day.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

KCRuns

Thank you all!!  I'm still on cloud 9 and just so happy with the results Smile

Dave, you def need to add it to your list.  It's bigger than what you say you like, but it's such a great experience and a well run race, I think everyone should do it at least once.

RunningOnSand

Thank you all!!  I'm still on cloud 9 and just so happy with the results Smile

Dave, you def need to add it to your list.  It's bigger than what you say you like, but it's such a great experience and a well run race, I think everyone should do it at least once.

From what everybody says, it really seems like a fun race.

Well done on a marathon perfectly executed! I love how you factored in stopping for potty breaks/reapplication of Aquaphor, etc. I don't know why I've never done that before, but what a smart idea. And, how amazing that you had a lot of crowd support from several friends and Mr. KC along the way--I know that can really perk you up. Great job!

DavePNW

Well not that I can plan this far ahead, but next year is Boston, then if I can qualify for NYCM next year that's 2020, which puts Chicago at 2021.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

WOO HOO!  Great run, KC!  That is a huge PR.  Think about that in terms of distance...nearly a mile and a half ahead of your previous best.  And I have never had that good a split in my marathons.  24 seconds is some great pacing.

Heh...that was a lot of applying stuff to your body during the race.   All you needed was some sunscreen to complete a trifecta.  Big grin  How's your IT band feeling now?

<3

Baboon

delicate flower

It's on my short list.  Possibly 2021 if current preliminary plans come to fruition.

<3

KCRuns

WOO HOO!  Great run, KC!  That is a huge PR.  Think about that in terms of distance...nearly a mile and a half ahead of your previous best.  And I have never had that good a split in my marathons.  24 seconds is some great pacing.

Heh...that was a lot of applying stuff to your body during the race.   All you needed was some sunscreen to complete a trifecta.  Big grin  How's your IT band feeling now?

Thank you!  I got good at applying the stuff to my arms while running!  And, ha!, I did have sunscreen on that I applied at home that morning.  Even if it's cloudy, I will burn, so had to apply it just in case, but I did not carry any extra.

The IT band feels good now.  In fact, I feel great in general and I want to run, but I'm cautious.  After my first 3 marathons I ran too soon and pretty quickly ended up with some overuse injuries that took a while to get over.  After the last one, I took almost a full week off and felt better than ever, so I'm trying to do that again.

You and Dave are already planning 2021 and I'm just trying to figure out spring of 2019 

Baboon

delicate flower

Thank you!  I got good at applying the stuff to my arms while running!  And, ha!, I did have sunscreen on that I applied at home that morning.  Even if it's cloudy, I will burn, so had to apply it just in case, but I did not carry any extra.

The IT band feels good now.  In fact, I feel great in general and I want to run, but I'm cautious.  After my first 3 marathons I ran too soon and pretty quickly ended up with some overuse injuries that took a while to get over.  After the last one, I took almost a full week off and felt better than ever, so I'm trying to do that again.

You and Dave are already planning 2021 and I'm just trying to figure out spring of 2019 

Good to hear!  And glad you are being smart about it.  Other folks in this forum would not be as smart (Baboon, looking in your direction!).

My two goal races for 2019 are already paid for, so we have to start looking ahead!  It's funny because wife and I are looking at 2021 plans but have not discussed 2020 very much.

<3

DavePNW

Well it's funny that Baboon & I are both thinking about Chicago 2021.

I have my next 6 marathons in mind already, although fully cognizant that I could have an injury ending my running career tomorrow.

Dave

onemile

Well it's funny that Baboon & I are both thinking about Chicago 2021.

I have my next 6 marathons in mind already, although fully cognizant that I could have an injury ending my running career tomorrow.

Boston, NYC, Chicago, London, Tokyo and Berlin?

DavePNW

Boston, NYC, Chicago, London, Tokyo and Berlin?

Ha! Well 3 of them anyway. And, one of the others is outside the US.

Dave