Beginners and Beyond

National Running Day - What Running Means to Me (Read 101 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Running has a few meanings for me, time to myself, therapy without the expensive price tag, and to burn some extra energy so that it doesn't become negative energy. Most of all, running to me is Freedom. I love being able to use my body to get me somewhere, I like that it slows me down and I can enjoy the scenery but at a good pace, running gives me a sensation so primal, so wild that my body feels it long after the run is over and a peaceful serenity washes over me. There are so many activities out there but running is as old as time itself, running to survive, running to cover a distance whether it was to find new territories, to keep up with our food source, or running from a predator, or just running for the sheer enjoyment of it. Running is in our blood, and when I run I can almost feel ancestors long dead and gone running with me, and sometimes when out on a trail I can almost see them and hear them. 

My reasons might be different from others, but during races and group runs we're all together and none that of that matters. Our differences are set aside and we are out there, breathing hard and steady, our footsteps sometimes in sync and sometimes not. Our hearts beat strong, using our bodies to push forward and forsaking all contraptions that have encouraged lazy behaviors in us. Even after crossing the finish line or finishing up the group run, the feeling lingers and I feel empowered. Running gives me an amazing feeling, and there isn't anything else quite like it. Happy National Running Day to everyone.

If you'd like to, please share what running means to you.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Buelligan

Running lends creedence to my sense of superiority over the rabble I have to endure my time on Earth with.  It also increases the physical health of the people around me because it keeps me from strangling them.  Running means I don't have to give lost people directions (Hey... I'm running here) and lets me glower at pedestrians with impunity.   Running gives me the opportunity to see the worst in people in the most beautiful locations.  Running has given me an irrational hatred of GU and the littering bastards who think it's okay to throw those goddamned foil wrappers anywhere.  Running reinforces my attitude that some people shouldn't have children or dogs... or bicycles.

My favorite part of running? It's the stopping part at the end.   Nothing feels better than the stopping part.

I can't wait for my run today so I can get to that stopping part.  There should be a day for that.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol those are good reasons. My running has definitely saved lives, I have to say if I must take a few rest days I have to be careful otherwise I am biting someone's head off.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

SheCan

FreeSoul, this is a great post.  Thank you, and happy National Running Day to you too!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Running lends creedence ....

Yes, any time you can add classic rock to your senses, it's a good thing.

Run through the jungle?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
            FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

FreeSoul, this is a great post.  Thank you, and happy National Running Day to you too!

Smile it came straight from the heart. Big grin

PRs

Learningdaily

Fibromyalgia Fighter

FreeSoul - Great post. If you don't mind me hijacking your thread, I'd like to add.

Since being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia Syndrome (fibro, FMS) just before Easter this year, running has come to mean something different to me than it used to mean.   I've gone from running 5 easy miles as a short run without even thinking twice about it, to being knocked on my ass after pushing myself too hard on a two mile walk/jog.   My rheumatologist told me that I would have to revise my image of myself as a runner and that I would quite likely be unable to participate in marathons and ultras any more ( not that I'm ready to concede that point to him just yet!).

So why do I keep trying to run?  Because, no matter how little ground I cover during my jogging segments, and no matter how slowly I cover it, every inch, every foot, every yard that I manage to cover in some semblance of something approaching a run, I flip FMS the bird. I can feel, for a minute or two, like a normal person.   I can forget for a while that I wake up tired every morning. That I hurt all the time.  That just going to the grocery store can leave me sweating and exhausted.  While I work to find the balance between what my heart, lungs, and legs say I can still do and what my overactive central nervous system will tolerate me doing, running helps me say a couple times a week, "I may have fibromyalgia, but fibromyalgia doesn't have me!"

Relentless forward progress

Walk-Jogger

. . . 

My favorite part of running? It's the stopping part at the end.   Nothing feels better than the stopping part.

I can't wait for my run today so I can get to that stopping part.  There should be a day for that.

That's why I love running intervals. I get to STOP RUNNING, over and over and over again . . .

Retired &  Loving It

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

LearningDaily - great post, this thread is for everyone to say what running means to them. It is awesome to see all the other reasons that everyone has. Smile

PRs

Love the Half

Running means I can drink beer and eat ice cream without looking like this:

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Walk-Jogger

Running means I can drink beer and eat ice cream without looking like this:

Pretty sure I saw that guy running on the University track this morning, except he was wearing Vibrams and no shirt.

Retired &  Loving It

Buelligan

Pretty sure I saw that guy running on the University track this morning, except he was wearing Vibrams and no shirt.

Ewww... Vibrams.

No more marathons

Thank you all, especially Buelligan.  Today was not particulaly a good day at work (is that even possible) so these few posts were a good end to the day.  Wink

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Love the Half

LOL.  I was at the track this morning and I was wearing New Balance MRC 5000's which are lighter than Vibrams but are surprisingly well cushioned for a 3.5 ounce shoe and I took off my shirt about halfway through.  Maybe that was me you saw and you just mistook the shoes.  Smile

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Maybe someday when I am doing 40-50 mpw I can eat just about anything and not worry about being fat.............. but for now I am going to watch what I eat. Smile

PRs