Beginners and Beyond

Shamrockin 8k - New Orleans (Read 32 times)

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

8k (4.97 miles)

30:54 - 3rd a/g

This was not a goal race and initially a family run / vacation so the day before was family day - 4 hours of zoo walking and 6+ hours walking around the French Quarter.

I was aiming to run a solid 29Tight lippedx but alas it didn't happen. Auto PR.

hog4life

Congrats on the AG. That's a really good time after spending so much time on your feet.

For some reason, I really like this distance, maybe because it was my first race back in 2010.

Congrats on the AG award.  Beignets for the winners?

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Congrats on the AG award.  Beignets for the winners?

Guinness!

Beignets and cafe au lait the day before and after!

delicate flower

Nice race!  Please try not to be so wordy with your next RR.

<3

Mmmmm...beer

Great job, congrats on the AG!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your race, Sly, 3rd in your AG, and the auto PR!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on the AG place, especially after all the walking the day before.  I've never seen an 8k race, but it would be an interesting distance to race.  Did you go all out like a 5k? Did anyone else in the family run with you?

LRB

8k (4.97 miles)

I am not OCD about round numbers but that would drive me crazy. As a result, I could easily see a scenario where I plow through the finish area and bull over the water bottle hander outers while trying to get that 5th mile. lol

Cyberic

Congrats!

I've never seen a 8k race either.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

boon

Right on! I will ttry to be brief on the next one.  Wink

D2 & Scotty

Thanks.  Not near what I wanted but fun none-the-less

Ginny

ayup... I did and did a wonderful fade!    My 5k split was about 15 seconds ahead of my last few 5ks... so right on the markl

The DW and DD did do the event, but as a fun one.  51:02 for the DD and 51:24 for the DW.   They chatted and walked a couple of times looking at the old Garden District homes.  (I met them about 4.5 and DD wanted to push the last 1/2 mile...so I obliged)

Hah I can see LRB plowing through the finish line volunteer kids!

Now 4.97 miles is important!  As we were able to honestly keep telling my DD (8 yo) that it was less than 5 miles!  Wink  She is completely comfortable with racing a 5k or running 4-5 miles easy.  6-7 miles with breaks...  but she has never run anything over a 5k as an event.

Cyber

thanks,  8k is rare but I have seen them.  It is an interesting distance as it truly bridges the 5k/ 10k difficulty and suckage.

As a note the masters winner (and who happened to be in my A/G) ran a 25.2x.    3rd overall.

The event all told was 2 in 1 +1.

ie:  the 8k course was a point to point - there was the Guinness Challenge!  drink 4 oz of Guinness every mile held at the same time/ course as the standard 8k.  (Lemme tell you, the winners were Fing fast...)

The 3rd event was held far after the first two races and was 2.75 laps around the finish area park.  Elites Cup.   Serious speed and serious legs going for the World Records.  Men missed it by 24 seconds and women missed it by 20 seconds.  Damn exciting to watch those guys pound out 4:10-4:20 / mile!

http://shamrockinrun.com/

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

btw: if any of you is interested in that particular race they have a year in advance special:

$17 registration if you do it by midnight tonight.

Makes for a very nice vacation is you havent been to New Orleans or havent been in awhile.

LRB

$25,000.00 for anyone who set a world record? Wow!

Hip Redux

Nice work!

Guinness!

Beignets and cafe au lait the day before and after!

LRB

Man this event shells out the loot! There is boku prize money for a ton of categories!