Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILIES: Two shifts to freedom (Read 37 times)

sdWhiskers

I also went to bed before 9pm last night. Seeing the Patriots win again crushed my spirit.

6 miles and the humidity is dropping. Like it was normal and now it is heading toward super low (i.e. welcome to fire season). I woke up with a stiff/sore neck. Apparently, I am at the age where this is a thing?

sdWhiskers

The first couple of times I saw bears, it scared me and I detoured off my routes.  I've gotten so used to them now that I'll just stop, wait for them to move along, and continue on my way.  I don't carry anything for protection.  These are black bears that are so used to people that they just don't care about us.  There are so many black bears roaming around my town that there are ongoing discussions about allowing an annual bear hunt to pare down the growing population.  They are becoming a domestic nuisance, making a mess out of garbage cans, killing farm chickens and ducks, and getting into people's garages and patios.

That's how I feel about seeing coyotes. But, ummm, bear >> coyote

Half Crazy K 2.0

Baboon, yikes on the bear. Sounds like us with deer now. At one point, it was kinda cool to look out and see a whole herd of deer in the back yard. Once they started eating gardens and flowers, the fuckers aren't so cute. I'm pretty sure they know they are in the no shooting part of the county. If they go about 2 miles north, they lose that.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

So speaking of runs, last night's run was interesting.  About halfway in, a bear scared the hell out of me.  I was just running along on the bike path, kind of zoned out, and I ran right past it just a couple of feet away.  Like if I took one step to my left, I could have touched it.  I started him and he grunted at me, which startled me and I jumped.  But I just kept running and shouted to the walkers behind me "Heads up...BEAR!" and so they turned around and walked back in the other direction.  Good times.  I like seeing bears, and I see them a handful of times a year.   Then near the end of my run there was a young couple walking their cat on a leash.  lol

Lived in CT for 5 years, often ran the trails around UConn in Storrs and never even saw any bear sign.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

DavePNW

The first couple of times I saw bears, it scared me and I detoured off my routes.  I've gotten so used to them now that I'll just stop, wait for them to move along, and continue on my way.  I don't carry anything for protection.  These are black bears that are so used to people that they just don't care about us.  There are so many black bears roaming around my town that there are ongoing discussions about allowing an annual bear hunt to pare down the growing population.  They are becoming a domestic nuisance, making a mess out of garbage cans, killing farm chickens and ducks, and getting into people's garages and patios.

There have been periodic bear sightings in our area. People post pics on the community FB page to track whereabouts, like a Where's Waldo thing. I would be completely mortified if I got anywhere near one. Although no reports of attacks of any kind. I should really be more terrified of people. Yesterday a guy was shot multiple times in the parking lot of a Fred Meyer store (PNW chain kind of like Target), a few miles from us.

Dave

LRB

Then near the end of my run there was a young couple walking their cat on a leash.  lol

From one extreme to the other!

LRB

Morning!  I went to bed at 9:30pm!  And slept on and off through 5:45 when Sammy decided to scare the shit out of me by running real fast all over the second floor like a bat out of hell.  Anyway, left the cats again inside the blue room because they are coming to the house to check the fans and I have 5 miles tonight.

That's hilarious!

LRB

If I ever see a bear...

DavePNW

If I ever see a bear...

or this.

Dave

DavePNW

Fred Meyer store (PNW chain kind of like Target)

Incidentally for you MI people, Fred Meyer is also very much like Meijer. Which despite the name similarity is completely unrelated, but Meijer was in fact founded by a Fred Meijer.

Dave

DavePNW

That's how I feel about seeing coyotes. But, ummm, bear >> coyote

My wife has much greater fear of coyotes, because they are more likely to attack small dogs. Like ours.

Dave

LRB

sdWhiskers

My wife has much greater fear of coyotes, because they are more likely to attack small dogs. Like ours.

I've come to respect the coyotes. They help enforce people keeping their dogs on leashes and not leaving their dogs in the backyard barking all day. Based on what I've read on our local next door app, coyotes can basically scale any type of wall that you can build around your yard. No (smaller) dog is safe.

onemile

my only problem with the coyotes is that the high pitched yipping and howling sets Bruno off barking in the middle of the night 

LRB

Incidentally for you MI people, Fred Meyer is also very much like Meijer. Which despite the name similarity is completely unrelated, but Meijer was in fact founded by a Fred Meijer.

That's a clever way to put that.