Beginners and Beyond

Weekend Penguins Welcome Spring - or not (Read 22 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

It's a beautiful sunny day, but it feels more like summer than spring.  It's supposed to get up to almost 80 this afternoon.  OTOH, the cherries and magnolia trees are blooming, the leaves are filling in on the honeysuckle bushes, daffodils and hyacinths are in full flower and the tulips are just starting to show some color.  I love running through the neighborhoods this time of year, because it is so cheerful and constantly changing.

I only have 4 miles today, so I think I'll run around town and see how the gardens there are blooming.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Woke up with another headache (starting to worry about these).  Some miles with hubby tonight.

Damaris

PADRunner

Morning Penguins!

Rowdy Run 5k this morning. It supports the Rowdy Runner program at the Midlothian elementary schools. My sister is a PE teacher at one of them.

14 sec PR @ 30:02 almost there...

D - Did you get your BP back under control? That used to trigger my headaches.

Afternoon Penguins!

I finished the Garmin Half Marathon in 2:35 (B goal). I stuck with the 2:30 (A goal) pacing group until mile 9 and had to drop back. I knew I was being very optimistic, but wanted to give it a try anyway. After mile 9, I walked a tenth at each mile marker. I'll share a little RR after a nap.

PAD - way to go on breathing down the neck of 30:00!

Ginny - Ah...sounds so lovely. You paint a pretty picture.

Docket - sure wish you could get over all your bothersome ailments!! I'm wishing for you a headache free day with deep, complete full breaths that let you run as fast and far as you want without any health distractions.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Morning Penguins!

Rowdy Run 5k this morning. It supports the Rowdy Runner program at the Midlothian elementary schools. My sister is a PE teacher at one of them.

PAD - It's been a long, while, but I've been to Midlothian. Can still see the town square in courthouse quite vivdly - am I thinking of the same down south of Dallas?

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

PADRunner

PAD - It's been a long, while, but I've been to Midlothian. Can still see the town square in courthouse quite vivdly - am I thinking of the same down south of Dallas?

Yes! Big cement plant down there. My sisters been teaching down there for at least  10 years.

Congrats on your HM!

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

15 mile long run in gorgeous weather, last 4 at MP (8:50). It was awesome and I feel awesome Big grin Just over 43 miles for the week! The rest of my weekend will involve house chores, family party and beer tomorrow, and ESU.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Slow and steady 5k this morning.  Very slow....

Running for TJ because he can't.

hog4life

Robert, congrats on the 5k this morning. That is a great picture of you guys on FB.

Pad, congrats on the PR! I bet you'll get it next time.

Kathleen,  congrats on a good race. There is nothing wrong with being a little ambitious and starting with pacers like you did. If you did not start that way, your time could have been worse than you hoped for.

Damaris, sorry to hear about the headaches.

I did 13.1 miles this morning in 2:05. I wasn't really planning it that way, but when my route ended, it was 13.1, haha. Headed to Nashville for some shopping and eats.

Brilliant

Hello Penguins!

Nice accidental HM, Mitch! 

Damaris, hope your headache went away.

Ginny, I hope you enjoyed the lovely weather and blooms!  I agree with Kathleen; you paint a great word picture.

PAD, nice PR, you've got sub-30 next time.

Kathleen, great job on the HM. I'll look forward to your RR!

Robert, no worries on the slow, hope it was fun!

Lauren, fantastic running!

I ran a super-hard and hilly 10.7 this morning.  Garmin said >1900 foot elevation gain when I uploaded it!  I think it's the hilliest run I've ever done.  It was slow, slow, slow. Lots of walking, but I tried to run a lot of the hills, too.  Then I showered, ate a big breakfast and took a nap.  

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Ran Salt Lake City HM today with DW, niece and nephew.  2:18:49.   Missed PR by a minute, but 7th of 20 in AG.  Nice to be youngest in my AG.  Very nice, well run race in the.foothills of the Wasatch Mountains.

GinnyinPA

Jerry and Kathleen - congratulations on two good HMs.  You did well.

D - I hope you get your run this evening.  It may help the headache.  Running helped mine anyway.

PAD - You're so close to breaking 30:00.  Good job on the PR.

Lauren - your marathon pace is closer to my 5k pace.  Nice strong run.

Robert - slow is good.

Mitch - nice accidental HM.

Brilliant - that is a really hilly run.  Good job.

From the Internet.

D - headaches are the worst Sad Hope it's gone now.

PAD - awesome! You'll totally go sub-30 next time, you're so close!

Kathleen and Jerry - nice job on the HMs, and nice job to Mitch on the accidental HM Big grin

Ginny - hope you enjoyed the garden run! Haha certainly remains to be seen whether I can actually run a marathon at what I'm calling MP, but it works as a training pace for now!

Robert - good job on the 5K!

Brill - holy moly that's a lot of elevation gain!

Zelanie

There is a lot of awesomeness in the thread today!  I ran 10.  Today's run featured: gladiators, street preachers, a bagpiper, a group of people dressed as Arrested Development characters of the opposite gender, and a concession stand giving away free cookie samples (that I somehow managed to keep running by).

I also gave some people directions to a park, then an hour later ran by them in the park I had directed them to. 

Ginny- We are having the same weather this weekend.  Many of the same things are blooming, too, plus there's this lovely dogwood tree downtown that I run by.  Hope you enjoyed the run!

D- Hope the head improved as the day went on.

PAD- Way to go!  You continue to rock.  Sub-30 is yours for the taking.

Kathleen- Nice!  Congratulations!

Lauren- LR with FF, fantastic!  That is awesome!

Robert- Glad to see you're back out there!  How's the tooth?

Nice run!  I have a tough time running 13 without adding the extra .1 on purpose.  Enjoy the shopping!

Brilliant- Wow, tough run!  Sounds like a perfect rest of the day after that!

Jerry- Congrats!  Now time to taper for Wisconsin?   You can start carb loading this afternoon!