Beginners and Beyond

Working Tuesday Dailies (Read 25 times)

LRB

This is part of the fun.

lol

LRB

DavePNW, that makes sense that a marathin requires more medical resources. It also makes me wonder how Baltimore can happen since the majority of the area hospital ERs seem to be constantly on some sort of alert or diversion.

LRB, ugh. I almost wonder if the work-from-home policy will bite them in the ass? If someone has no time to use, do they come in sick?

I don't know. The person in question is a known obstructionist with lots of baggage so it's really hard to form an opinion. Like, are we even getting the full story. I guess we'll know soon enough.

LRB

I think the animosity towards the non-vaxxed is building as a whole, and the non-vaxxed are digging their heels in.

I literally begin every conversation with, you don't need to give me a reason for why you're not vaccinated. I just don't have the energy for it.

LRB

I am all for shaming the stupid but this policy is silly.

Roughly 50% of people would agree with you, and the other roughly 50% would not. And depending on where you are and when, it could be 60/40, 70/30 or you pick the percentage.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I literally begin every conversation with, you don't need to give me a reason for why you're not vaccinated. I just don't have the energy for it.

I read a good line.  Something to the effect of "If you get seriously ill or die from Covid, it probably won't affect me much, but it will seriously affect your loved ones."  Not sure it actually works on the stubbornly unvaccinated, but it can end the conversation.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

sdWhiskers

I am all for shaming the stupid but this policy is silly.

Yeah, agreed. Let's encourage people to not tell work if they test positive or not even test at all...

There's also talk about health insurance premiums going higher for unvaccinated people and that starts to get into a very slippery slope situation. Pre-existing conditions, anyone?

Half Crazy K 2.0

I suspect this has been building for a while and the latest surge in cases is exposing it like a raw nerve.  I fear it may get ugly in places.

It's weird here in MD. It seems less anti-vax vs vax and yes there is a pandemic vs nope, it's over. The it's over crowd acts like spoiled toddlers any time the slightest restriction is put back (like wear a mask indoors). The it's over crowd has also decided that any breakthrough case is simply "the sniffles" and shouldn't keep people from going to work, doing things in public, etc.

Baboon

delicate flower

So we had to call for service on our months-old oil burner because it had a tiny water leak.  The guy that came out fixed it in like five minutes, and now he is sitting in his truck parked in our driveway because, as he said it himself, he doesn't want to go on another call.  lmao  

<3

DavePNW

oil burner 

LOL @ New England

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I read a good line.  Something to the effect of "If you get seriously ill or die from Covid, it probably won't affect me much, but it will seriously affect your loved ones."  Not sure it actually works on the stubbornly unvaccinated, but it can end the conversation.

It won't. They are even dying in hospitals claiming it's not Covid, so I doubt their brains would actually start working.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

DavePNW, that makes sense that a marathin requires more medical resources. It also makes me wonder how Baltimore can happen since the majority of the area hospital ERs seem to be constantly on some sort of alert or diversion.

LRB, ugh. I almost wonder if the work-from-home policy will bite them in the ass? If someone has no time to use, do they come in sick?

This is why I don't think Chicago, Boston or NY will happen and part of me want them to cancel already so I can rest and take care of this pain in my ass, lol.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

This is why I don't think Chicago, Boston or NY will happen and part of me want them to cancel already so I can rest and take care of this pain in my ass, lol.

I'm not sure if Baltimore will happen. I could see the Baltimore mayor pulling the permit if the hospitals stay busy. Plus, the route basically blocks off some access to Johns Hopkins Hospital, that seems ill advised in a pandemic.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I'm not sure if Baltimore will happen. I could see the Baltimore mayor pulling the permit if the hospitals stay busy. Plus, the route basically blocks off some access to Johns Hopkins Hospital, that seems ill advised in a pandemic.

I guess it will all depend on how bad are the hospitals in each area by the time of the race. And I am no longer hopeful.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

I guess it will all depend on how bad are the hospitals in each area by the time of the race. And I am no longer hopeful.

For Baltimore, MedStar Health handles the med tents. I wonder about the PR of backing out. Would one of the other major systems jump in to keep the event on? MedStar has a pretty good sports medicine program, so they may be worried about pissing off 20,000 runners.

Baboon

delicate flower

LOL @ New England

Ten thousand dollars for that fucking thing.

<3