Beginners and Beyond

Working Tuesday Dailies (Read 25 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

5 miles this morning.

LRB

We have our first positive Covid case in the office in months. This after a close-contact case two weeks ago. Animosity is building as one of the individuals was not vaccinated so they had to use vacation time to be compensated and were not allowed to work from home. It's being viewed as punishment as vaccinated employees are allowed to work from home.

This is going to be an interesting Covid season...

DavePNW

What’s their explanation for canceling the marathon but not the others?

Hey guess what, I have a google machine.

The medical services required for a 26.2-mile event require a substantial number of medical professionals, with a variety of specializations. After extensive review and discussions with professionals associated with the health care field, we believe it would be insensitive to ask those professionals to step aside from their duties to attend to the needs of the race at a time when the medical community is under some significant strain. The good news is that we will be running a race! We are not canceling the event. Instead, we will be modifying the event to a half marathon and a modified relay event. The need for medical support is significantly different for a half marathon, and we feel confident that we will be able to offer a safe experience with such a modification.

This is pretty smart and it's honestly gonna be hard for any marathon to make a case otherwise. 

Dave

Jess runs for bacon

Which one?

The Nordictrack 2950. I had the 1750 for many years and loved it, but had to get rid of it when I downsized. Went for the mac daddy now that I've upsized Smile

Jess runs for bacon

We have our first positive Covid case in the office in months. This after a close-contact case two weeks ago. Animosity is building as one of the individuals was not vaccinated so they had to use vacation time to be compensated and were not allowed to work from home. It's being viewed as punishment as vaccinated employees are allowed to work from home.

Oh lord...

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

The medical services required for a 26.2-mile event require a substantial number of medical professionals, with a variety of specializations. After extensive review and discussions with professionals associated with the health care field, we believe it would be insensitive to ask those professionals to step aside from their duties to attend to the needs of the race at a time when the medical community is under some significant strain. The good news is that we will be running a race! We are not canceling the event. Instead, we will be modifying the event to a half marathon and a modified relay event. The need for medical support is significantly different for a half marathon, and we feel confident that we will be able to offer a safe experience with such a modification.

This is pretty smart and it's honestly gonna be hard for any marathon to make a case otherwise. 

I tend to agree.  It may depend, in some part, on the local Covid case rate and hospital capacity.  Vermont is doing relatively well in terms of cases and vaccination rate, but it's not a populous state, so I can't speak to their medical capacity.  A large city, such as Boston, might have more medical capacity to spare.  Or it may not.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

Half Crazy K 2.0

DavePNW, that makes sense that a marathin requires more medical resources. It also makes me wonder how Baltimore can happen since the majority of the area hospital ERs seem to be constantly on some sort of alert or diversion.

LRB, ugh. I almost wonder if the work-from-home policy will bite them in the ass? If someone has no time to use, do they come in sick?

Baboon

delicate flower

I agree.  I'd ask why they wouldn't just take the HM course and have the marathoners run it twice, but I am sure they have similar reasons for not doing that.  One of their deferral options is Hartford, which modified their race this year.  Typically the HM and marathon are different routes, but they modified the marathon course so the HM could follow it for 13 miles before the routes split.  I made sure the new course was BQ certified before I registered.  Smile

<3

Baboon

delicate flower

I think the animosity towards the non-vaxxed is building as a whole, and the non-vaxxed are digging their heels in.

<3

DavePNW

I agree.  I'd ask why they wouldn't just take the HM course and have the marathoners run it twice, but I am sure they have similar reasons for not doing that.  One of their deferral options is Hartford, which modified their race this year.  Typically the HM and marathon are different routes, but they modified the marathon course so the HM could follow it for 13 miles before the routes split.  I made sure the new course was BQ certified before I registered.  Smile

Makes sense that a double loop course reduces the medical personnel requirements, since you figure they need a certain number per linear mile of race course. But naturally they also need a certain number per runner, and cutting out the marathoners cuts way back on that number. Plus you figure a marathon needs more medical personnel than the same number of people running a half, because marathoners are fucking stupid and will run themselves to the point of requiring medical attention.

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I think the animosity towards the non-vaxxed is building as a whole, and the non-vaxxed are digging their heels in.

I suspect this has been building for a while and the latest surge in cases is exposing it like a raw nerve.  I fear it may get ugly in places.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

Baboon

delicate flower

Makes sense that a double loop course reduces the medical personnel requirements, since you figure they need a certain number per linear mile of race course. But naturally they also need a certain number per runner, and cutting out the marathoners cuts way back on that number. Plus you figure a marathon needs more medical personnel than the same number of people running a half, because marathoners are fucking stupid and will run themselves to the point of requiring medical attention.

This is part of the fun.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The Nordictrack 2950. I had the 1750 for many years and loved it, but had to get rid of it when I downsized. Went for the mac daddy now that I've upsized Smile

Nice. That's the one I have!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am all for shaming the stupid but this policy is silly.

Damaris

LRB

Especially for the mega events.