Beginners and Beyond

7/4 Firecracker 10K (spoiler alert, did not get my goal....lots of pics at least) (Read 109 times)

happylily

Congratulations,Kristin! Your pictures are great, as always and your mom and dad look like really nice people!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

GinnyinPA

Love the skirt.

Given conditions, you did well.  If you do this same race in winter, you'll ace it.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks for the positive words everyone.

I realized I forgot an important pic! The "swag" was a NYC Runs beer glass! Appropriate for a race on a day often associated with BBQs and beer! (but they didn't have anything at the race to put in it other than water....boo....but I filled it after in my apartment, not to worry!!) At my December 10K by the same people it was the Hot Chocolate 10K and the swag was coffee mugs.... I like these useful swag items. As an avid beer and coffee drinker I would rather things to pour my beverages into than a crappy cotton T-shirt that I probably won't wear to run anyway.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

On days like that survival is often the best goal. To come that close to your PR is quite an accomplishment.

With the NYRRs putting on the race, I would assume the course is certified and therefore accurate. We know Garmins have about a 1-3% margin of error, so a reading of 6.3 miles for a 10K race is well within tolerances. I ran a 15K (9.32 miles) on Thursday on a certified course and my Garmin read 9.43 miles.

I use McMillan times very cautiously because the assumptions behind them aren't usually valid for many recreational runners and especially low mileage runners. They also aren't really meant to predict times though runners often use them that way. The intent is more to compare times since the times generated are equivalent times. They can show which of your races are the best performances or at which distances you race best.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I like it that your father is proudly wearing his NY Run of Champions shirt which you guys ran together.  Cool photos of 59th St Bridge.  Cute puppy - what type is it?

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I like it that your father is proudly wearing his NY Run of Champions shirt which you guys ran together.  Cool photos of 59th St Bridge.  Cute puppy - what type is it?

She's a "Morkie" Maltese/Yorkie mix! Yeah, he loves his shirt!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

On days like that survival is often the best goal. To come that close to your PR is quite an accomplishment.

With the NYRRs putting on the race, I would assume the course is certified and therefore accurate. We know Garmins have about a 1-3% margin of error, so a reading of 6.3 miles for a 10K race is well within tolerances. I ran a 15K (9.32 miles) on Thursday on a certified course and my Garmin read 9.43 miles.

I use McMillan times very cautiously because the assumptions behind them aren't usually valid for many recreational runners and especially low mileage runners. They also aren't really meant to predict times though runners often use them that way. The intent is more to compare times since the times generated are equivalent times. They can show which of your races are the best performances or at which distances you race best.

That's good to know about McMillan. I know it does also assume similar training, course, and race conditions too. My 5K PR of 28:16, and my second best 5K 28:30 were both set in very cool, crisp mornings....I think one was in the high 30s and the other in the low 50s. And while my runs are getting longer and my mileage getting higher, I am still more comfortable running 3 miles than 6, and I have run more than twice as many 5Ks as 10Ks so I guess training isn't exactly equal either.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

FWIW, my 5K PR was in the high 26s when I was able to break one hour on the 10K.  It might be that you are close but with a bit more training and the Summer passing by, you can slam through the barrier.

Damaris

YAYpril - B-Plus

Don't let it bother you too much. You absolutely have sub-60 in you. You just need good conditions.

I ran a super hilly 10k last February in 1:00:17. I trained my ass off through the summer and fully expected sub-60 on a flat course on Labor Day. It was warm and humid and I PR'd by 6 freaking seconds. 1:00:11. But, when I ran my next 10k this past February, even in horrible slushy conditions (same hilly course, too) I nailed it in 58:32.

So, just be patient. You'll get it. Summer blows.

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Love all the pics, what a cute outfit and glad your parents could cheer you on. Like the others say, you'll have that sub 60 when the conditions are better. The heat and humidity are no joke. It's tough this time of year, but you'll be that much stronger for keeping up with your training.

LRB

The fact that there was no mention of knee pain or any other injury issue = win.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

That is a good point....thanks for that silver lining..... with my ITBS history an injury free race is a huge bonus!

The fact that there was no mention of knee pain or any other injury issue = win.

but plan a Fall 10K to finally break the 1 hour.

Agreed.  Cool pics Smile

outoftheblue

I think you did great considering the weather.   Love the pictures and the skirt!    I agree with everyone -- wait until the weather cools down and you will ace that 10K.

Life is good.

bluerun

Super B****

I'm sorry you didn't get to your goal this time, but it really WAS a brutal day!!  You're totally going to come in way under sixty minutes when you get to run a 10K in decent conditions.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog