Beginners and Beyond

Wildlife FriDailies (Read 18 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

A park in town, densely wooded with just trails and a central pond, has been closed due to a coyote sighting.  There have been previous sightings, but this time the coyote in question was seen trailing/tracking someone walking their dog through the park.  So now there has to be an evaluation as to whether the coyote is exhibiting "rabid behavior" or is otherwise a threat.  I occasionally run through the park when I want a change of scenery.  Maybe today I'll run past the entrance to see what kind of signage has been posted.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

RD for me.

Damaris

Baboon

delicate flower

I ran 5 very easy miles before work.  Unlike Fred with his wolverine sightings, I did not see any wildlife this morning...not even a rabbit.  Sad!!

That is all for today.  Basically it's a rest day.

<3

sdWhiskers

A park in town, densely wooded with just trails and a central pond, has been closed due to a coyote sighting.  There have been previous sightings, but this time the coyote in question was seen trailing/tracking someone walking their dog through the park.  So now there has to be an evaluation as to whether the coyote is exhibiting "rabid behavior" or is otherwise a threat.  I occasionally run through the park when I want a change of scenery.  Maybe today I'll run past the entrance to see what kind of signage has been posted.

Ummm coyotes are seen in my area every day. And yes, they hunt animals, that's what they do. I would always rather come across a coyote than an unleashed dog.

sdWhiskers

No miles before my flight but maybe once back in SD. The ABQ airport is a step back in time-- think 1980s doctor office decor but with more brown and less outlets.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Hey Fred, sounds like you are having an exciting morning.  I just got an alert from work about an earthquake in northern NJ.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Hey Fred, sounds like you are having an exciting morning.  I just got an alert from work about an earthquake in northern NJ.

Yeah, 4.8 centered 25 miles west of me.  My house was really shaking.  More of a rumbling up/down than a side to side.  We're OK and there's no apparent damage to the house.  I was on a video call and people on the other end could see me shaking.  I'm still a bit unsettled.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I just heard about it. Glad you are OK, Fred.

Damaris

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I just heard about it. Glad you are OK, Fred.

Thanks.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Fred, glad you're ok. It threw me when my work sent out the alert message since we didn't feel a thing here.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred, glad you're ok. It threw me when my work sent out the alert message since we didn't feel a thing here.

Thank you.  It felt at first like the rumbling you get with a low-flying helicopter, but there was no noise and then it got much stronger.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Thank you.  It felt at first like the rumbling you get with a low-flying helicopter, but there was no noise and then it got much stronger.

When we had the one in 2011, it sounded like a large truck going by and shaking the building.  Not uncommon at the time because they were building a new hospital building across the street. It lasted far too long for a truck.

DavePNW

I ran 7 miles last night with the 6pm brewery group; this morning I ran 5 very slow miles with 5 slightly less slow strides at the end. Do you ever have the situation where you're trying to run fast, and you pump your arms and legs and start breathing heavily, but it doesn't feel like you're actually moving any faster? That's how my strides were. 10k race tomorrow; hopefully I can continue my recent habit of a really shitty Friday run being followed by a solid Saturday run.

Ummm coyotes are seen in my area every day. And yes, they hunt animals, that's what they do. I would always rather come across a coyote than an unleashed dog.

+1 to all this. I don't often actually see them myself, but I have a few times on a run. DW gets nervous about letting our 10 lb poodle in the backyard after dark if we can't see him.

I've experienced ~5 magnitude earthquakes twice in my life. At that level they're not likely to cause much damage, it's just a little disconcerting - if you don't live in earthquake country, you're not sure what it is at first.

Dave

DavePNW

Back to NYCM lodging:

I have stayed in both areas. Near the finish is best. I normally take the train to the ferry station as the bus is too fucking early. And I think one year the bus was in front of my hotel; I still didn't take it.

The closer you get to Central Park, the more ridiculous the prices get. It's probably ~1.5 mile walk from the finish, but if I'm not feeling up to that I'm a couple blocks from the subway line that picks up near the finish. I'm also about a block from a line that goes straight to the ferry terminal. I didn't realize you had to catch the bus earlier than you'd have to leave for the ferry. It's going to be a stupid early morning for me regardless, considering the 3 hr time difference. I think I'd lean towards the ferry for more of a NYC experience, although the bus might be preferable if the weather is shit. Of course you have to decide before you know what the weather is going to be (although I can't imagine they really check?). I mainly hope the weather isn't so awful that I'll feel the need to do a bag check, because that sounds like a total PITA.

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Dave - FYI, at the end of the NY marathon all runners get a hooded cloak that's waterproof on the outside and lightly insulated on the inside.  That should eliminate the need for a bag check in all but the worst weather (i.e. you'll have something to wear for your walk from the finish to the hotel).  Also, in past years, runners have been welcome to ride the subway for free, so if you can go west a few blocks from the park you could catch the 1/2/3 south towards your hotel if you really don't feel like walking.

One of the weird things about the earthquake for me was feeling all the shaking but looking outside and not seeing anything amiss.  I couldn't see anything moving/swaying, but I could feel the whole house moving and could hear something (the house or the quake, I don't know).