Beginners and Beyond

So frustrated (warning: rant) (Read 181 times)

Jess runs for bacon

Bear with me here, didn't want to cry so I figure I'd post here. As some of you know, I've been dealing with ITBS since January. I took a break from running from feb to march, got some new shoes that seemed to help (lunar glides), and have been doing therapy. The past two weeks have been great, no pain. The only thing I noticed was my calves cramp most of the time, but usually walking a bit helps clear it up after the first mile or two. This happened when I first started to run an another time I took a break and it got better over about two weeks then.

Anyway, last week I noticed my shins were getting tender. I bought compression sleeves to see if they might help. They haven't. Just got worse. Calf pain is also getting worse. I just tried to do a 4 mile run with the LRS (shit, even Amby Burfoot was there) and I didn't even make it a mile before I had to stop. The cal plus shin pain was too much to handle, it felt like my leg was going to snap in half.

I am going to try an easy run tomorrow sans sleeves. I have a half on Sunday that I was really looking forward to but now I am just terrified. I am just so sick of constantly being hurt and with such measly mileage (I've rarely broke 20 mpw).

Sorry for the rant, just need to get it off my chest. Any advice would be appreciated.

Love the Half

You say you got new shoes but did you change the type of shoes you were using?  I don't know if Lunar Glides are neutral, stability or motion control.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Ball of Fury

Hugs to you!!  I am so sorry you are dealing with these injuries and I know how frustrating it is to have the drive to train hard, and your body just doesn't cooperate.  Have you been to physical therapy at all?  I am still having trouble with ITBS, but PT really does seem to help.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

If your ITB is better and it's only your calves, maybe you should get them worked on by a sports massage therapist? You might have tons of knots and lactic acid in there. I go every few months. It hurts like hell but it really helps.

Trail Monster

Have you tried Graston or ART? I had a nagging knee pain that wouldn't quit (and it's still there but I can run on it now) and Graston got me back on the road in just a few sessions. I would also get checked for compartment syndrome which causes fluid build up in pockets throughout the leg which can lead to pain and inflammation that won't heal. Good luck!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Jess runs for bacon

You say you got new shoes but did you change the type of shoes you were using?  I don't know if Lunar Glides are neutral, stability or motion control.

Yes. I had the NB 1260 which are high stability. The LGs are stability too but not as much. I have been wearing them since march with no issues until last week.

as a test yesterday I took my Kinvaras (neutral) to a 5k yesterday. Still had calf pain pretty badly in the 1st mile.

Jess runs for bacon

Thanks on the massage. I will do that. I have a very good therapist who can make me cry. Last time I saw her in Feb she told me to use a steam shower to get out the lactic acid, and I did that this week to no avail. I can't argue with getting a massage though.

i'm mostly worried about my shins for this weekend. the calves should clear up in the run fairly quickly, but shin splints is new territory for me.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ugh, sorry you're going through that.  Are you sure you need stability?  I usually blame shoes or TMTS for shin and calf troubles.  Hope you find the answer.Cry

Damaris

LRB

It sounds like despite your best efforts, you have not zeroed in on what the true root cause of your problem is.  Sorry to hear that but do not give up.  You gotta keep investigating until you find out what it is.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

aww so sorry Sad I definitely sympathize....my first 5 months of running I was plagued by calf cramping and pain...and the past 4 months with ITB issues (and still, occasionally, calf issues). I actually switched from Nike LunarGlides (stability) to Mizuno Wave Inspire 9s (also stability) withthe help of the LRS. Same type of shoe, but the Inspires controlled my overpronation better. My physical therapist thinks my calves and ITB issues are actually related.... and all come back to my finky body mechanics, which all derrive from muscle imbalances. With stretching, foam rolling, occasional deep tissue massage, heating pads, and strengthening I am able to combat the issues at least somewhat. I love my calf sleeves too... I do about half my runs in them and sometimes wear them at night or to work on days where my calves have been particularly cranky. I don't have all that much advice just sympathy. I'd say find a good sports PT....mine specializes in athletes, is also an athletic trainer, and has worked with many pro athletes. A PT with a sports specialty may be more helpful than a general practitioner. My ortho helped me find mine, and he was a godsent. Good luck!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

LRB

Ugh, sorry you're going through that.  Are you sure you need stability?  I usually blame shoes or TMTS for shin and calf troubles.  Hope you find the answer.Cry

She runs low mileage though, can it be too much too soon still?

My shin troubles were due to the type of shoe I wore, Nike Shox.  I did not have calf troubles, but tight calves gave me achilles problems....boy I swear, if it ain't one thing it's a damn 'nother with running those early years!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Oh....do you warm up before running?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Zentastic

Chasing Rainbows

It sounds like you may be trying to come back too quickly after taking a break from running.

First, I'd recommend that you skip the HM you were planning to run on Sunday.  Second, try replacing some of your running with biking or elliptical work until your legs start feeling better.

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

+1 to bike and elliptical. It heloed me keep cardio and strength up when I took a month off because of ITB

It sounds like you may be trying to come back too quickly after taking a break from running.

First, I'd recommend that you skip the HM you were planning to run on Sunday.  Second, try replacing some of your running with biking or elliptical work until your legs start feeling better.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Everyone kept putting me in stability shoes when I started running. I couldn't figure out why I kept getting shin splints. I switched to neutral shoes on my own accord and the problem went away completely.

I'm so sorry, Jess. I can see firsthand how frustrating it is for you and I wish I could help. Sad