Beginners and Beyond

Still Winter Tuesdailies (Read 23 times)

LRB

People in Michigan are traveling to other states to get the vaccine. From what I've been told, areas in Ohio and Pennsylvania defined as Trump Territory have (had?) a surplus of the vaccine and was offering it to all comers. I personally know of three people who've done exactly that (one in Pennsylvania and two in Ohio).

Cyberic

so you'd have to be over 215 lbs to have a 25 bmi

That’s a bit of a stretch, lol.

onemile

People in Michigan are traveling to other states to get the vaccine. From what I've been told, areas in Ohio and Pennsylvania defined as Trump Territory have (had?) a surplus of the vaccine and was offering it to all comers. I personally know of three people who've done exactly that (one in Pennsylvania and two in Ohio).

huh. I'd drive to Ohio to get one.

mta: it looks like you need to be 40+

sdWhiskers

On another note, have you ever looked through your freezer for something, found some old leftovers and thought "Nobody is ever going to eat this", and then put it back in the freezer?  Yeah.

We were close to eating some of that stuff in the early pandemic days

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

IN is only with a DL showing residency (although not sure if the federal sites have the same but probably not). If another nearby state would have extras, I would drive within a 2 hour radius to do so. If I was in Miami I would be fucked as the drive would be 12 hours, lol.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

mta: it looks like you need to be 40+

Sigh, to be that young again...

Damaris

sdWhiskers

5 miles slogging around the neighborhood in mindless loops

16-64 opened up here for those with "any health condition", basically

My 40 yo brother in MD got his yesterday though he had to drive 90 min. He works as a gov contractor so I think it was based on continuity of government with his job, rather than age/health.

sdWhiskers

IN is only with a DL showing residency (although not sure if the federal sites have the same but probably not). If another nearby state would have extras, I would drive within a 2 hour radius to do so. If I was in Miami I would be fucked as the drive would be 12 hours, lol.

Here, it was strictly by county so I couldn't drive to LA for one. Not sure if that's still the case.

DavePNW

+1

Dave

sdWhiskers

Saw this on the BBC and figured I'd share here:

Former GB marathon runner and two-time Olympian Mara Yamauchi

I'll be out training and ahead of me there'll be a man running a bit slower than me. I catch him up and when I draw level he won't let me go past.

He'll latch on to my shoulder and then run right behind me for several minutes. Usually I speed up to try and drop him. Every time this happens I think, is this man just being competitive? Is he going to assault me? Should I stop and confront him? This has happened to me a few times and it happened to me on Thursday when I was running with a female friend.

No woman being treated like this knows whether this man latching on to them is completely benign or not.

Also, there's a complete lack of consent from the woman. The man is effectively saying I'm going to gatecrash your training session without your permission - tough if you don't like it.

If two women were playing tennis and a man just rocked up and said "I'm going to join your training session for five minutes" everyone would say no, you can't do that. But in running this seems to happen all the time. I think because it's in a public space.

From hearing stories of women who run, it's clear that women are not safe while they're running.

I've had the luxury of being a full-time athlete for many years so I always ran in the daytime. I don't have to often run in the dark, but I completely relate to women feeling fearful.

This can be solved so easily. Men can just not latch on to women. But also education is really important; men just talking about this with their peers, saying "you just can't do this, the women don't know what your intent is". It's totally unnecessary and creates unnecessary anxiety for the women.

We can all do better. It's easy to think "I would never do that, so it's nothing to do with me". But you can help other people to not do it.

DavePNW

I either try to pass, or stay at a comfortable distance behind, or cross the street—something to avoid the appearance of a creeper. But yeah this happens, and I think there is awareness and discussion these days. But as with most things not enough, so a worthwhile message to get out there.

Dave

GinnyinPA

I've never had that happen, but I'm not young and attractive either. That probably makes a difference.

I don't know where in PA they had extra vaccines. The state is still in 1A:  over 65, teachers, healthcare workers and people with health conditions, including obesity and smoking. It is still hard to get online appointments, from what I've heard from people who are eligible but can't find one. AFAIK, I'm still a couple of months from being eligible, at age 64.

It started to rain just before I was heading out so I ran 7 on the TM.

Baboon

delicate flower

I've read stories of this happening to women.  I don't understand the male mindset as to why they would do this, but if anyone I knew ever did, I would certainly let them know that it is not ok.  I pass other runners all the time on our rail trail.  I always try to make myself known as I approach, either by scuffing the gravel with my feet, clearing my throat, or just using the ol' trusty "On your left."  I would never even think of latching on to someone.  If I wanted company, I'd run with friends.

<3

Baboon

delicate flower

Anyway, I just ran 6.2 miles on a hill route.  I had a small block of time to cram it in between meetings, and I got back to my computer as the next meeting started.  Heh.  I love working from home.

<3

30 min pool run, see what tomorrow bring.

I don’t have the Real Id problem, i no longer fly, haven’t flown since 2002