Beginners and Beyond

The LA Marathon (Read 95 times)

Baboon

delicate flower

I'm done.  Apparently I beat Ryan Hall?  Wink  It was hot and horrible and I cramped and walked the last 7 or so, just like last year.  I'm so done with marathons until and unless I can get close to 2 in the half.

Just finishing in those conditions was a huge accomplishment.  Great job!  I ran a HM when it was 90.  Doing double that distance would have sucked.  You > Ryan Hall

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I'm done.  Apparently I beat Ryan Hall?  Wink  It was hot and horrible and I cramped and walked the last 7 or so, just like last year.  I'm so done with marathons until and unless I can get close to 2 in the half.

Famous last words. I am sure you will feel differently later. And BTW, I have never even broken 2 hours in the HM, and still do marathons. It's OK to feel that way after all you went through today. Congrats!

Damaris

happylily

Just finishing in those conditions was a huge accomplishment.  Great job!  I ran a HM when it was 90.  Doing double that distance would have sucked.  You > Ryan Hall

+1  Congratulations, Brilliant! I'm sure you had to battle the urge to stop, like everyone else. But you persevered and finished. Well done!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Brilliant

Thanks for the kind words.  I did want to quit.  It was worse than last year - last year it never occurred to me to DNF.  This year, I kept thinking "this sucks, get me off this course, how the hell does one get off this stupid course?"  Apparently I'm not smart enough to figure out how to leave the course. Big grin

I want to have a 2 hour half before my next marathon, so the next marathon will hopefully not be yet another almost- 6 hour death march....  Or my hubby pointed out that I can try a marathon that isn't in the 80s 3 hours in.

Lots of thinking and training before I make a bitter vow.

Brilliant

I saw her FB picture and she looks fresh as a daisy! she doesn't even look sweaty!

Big grin  My team parks an RV near the finish line, so I had already wiped off with a damp towel and changed my shirt, and had a beer! when that picture was taken.

Now off to burgers and another beer.  Wearing my race shirt because I earned it.

LRB

Or my hubby pointed out that I can try a marathon that isn't in the 80s 3 hours in.

Those are the magic words you needed to hear. Pick a destination marathon and make it happen!

DavePNW

I believe the correct forms of that word are as follows:

Badass (n.) "Brilliant is a total badass"

Badass (v.) "Brilliant is going to totally badass that race"

Badassed (adj.) "Brilliant will run a more badassed race that Ryan Hall"

Badassedly (adv.) "Brilliant will finish that thing totally badassedly"

TOTALLY CALLED IT! Nicely done to tough that thing out.

I support your strategy of refocusing on sub-2 HM. Then the marathon will take care of itself (oh you might have to do some training & whatnot). As well as your strategy of picking a race with cooler temps. My last one was 30 degrees at the start; I had 99 problems but the heat ain't one.

Dave

LRB

As well as your strategy of picking a race with cooler temps. My last one was 30 degrees at the start; I had 99 problems but the heat ain't one.

That was wonderful yo. Absolutely, positively wonderful!

PADRunner

What a way to tough it out! Wear your medal too! Definitely earned it!

GinnyinPA

Brilliant - finishing in those conditions shows your strength and determination.  I am impressed.  Hopefully next time will be much cooler.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

First......Congrats to Brilliant!  I will NEVARR run a full marathon.  EVARR!!  (Did I just jinx myself?)  

Nevertheless, my respect for full-marathoning/marathoners is of the utmost in type!!!  Finishing one is super-human in itself!

As for Ryan Hall.....I've pulled for him forever!  I'm just baffled at what could be ailing him.  It just doesn't make sense to me ESPECIALLY when I consider some of his training runs in between marathon DNF's or injuries. (I've followed him pretty religiously as long as I can remember so know a lot of his training successes & failures).

His & Sara's most recent YouTube post was him pacing her for 16 miles and him continuing to run for about 2.5 hours and doing so quite well.  Game day, however, appears to be a whole nother ball game for him and I just don't know why.

BIG congrats to Sara.  I long-thought she'd jump on the marathon train after marrying Ryan yet she held it off for YEARS!  And now, she's legit!  2:46 is FANTASTIC!  What a pro.  I'd love to sit & talk with her to discuss EVERY detail of her marathon.  If she chooses to do another, I'm sure she'll improve but if she didn't do another, I couldn't blame her!

Marathons are the DEVIL, Bobby!   

Randy

LRB

Has he finished any race the last 3 years?

London 2012 - DNF
                          NYC 2012 - DNS (withdrew before Sandy Hurricane cancellation)
                          Boston 2013 - DNS
                          NYC 2013 - DNS
                          Boston 2014 - 2:17:50
                          Boulder Boulder 10K 30:12
                          Peachtree 10K 2014 -DNF
                          Napa-To-Sonoma Wine Country Half Marathon 2014 - DNF
                          RnR AZ 2015 - 1:14:16
                          LA 2015 - DNF

Zelanie

7/6/13 Correcaminos HM (Costa Rica) 1st place 1:04:09

LRB

7/6/13 Correcaminos HM (Costa Rica) 1st place 1:04:09

Thank you!

I get by with a little help from my friends.

RSX

Told you he would DNF.

Bitch!! (just kidding)