Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdaylies are here. (Read 28 times)

DavePNW

Maggie usually posts my workouts for the week on Saturday after I've finished my "long" run.

(I know you didn't ask me - but 

No, curious for anyone with coaches, because it's just a foreign concept to me to not know the full schedule in advance. Of course that is theoretically one of the benefits of a coach, that they can adjust as needed.

Dave

onemile

No, curious for anyone with coaches, because it's just a foreign concept to me to not know the full schedule in advance. Of course that is theoretically one of the benefits of a coach, that they can adjust as needed.

I actually kind of like not knowing. Because looking ahead can be daunting.

I do like to have the whole week at once though, in case I need to move stuff around I like to know what I am working with

DavePNW

I actually kind of like not knowing. Because looking ahead can be daunting.

I do like to have the whole week at once though, in case I need to move stuff around I like to know what I am working with

Ha. Don't I know it.

But yeah that's one of the reasons I like to have it, due to travel etc. I imagine you can share anything like that with her & she'll give you what you need.

Not that I am thinking about getting a coach.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

For me it depends - sometimes she will give me the entire next week on Sunday. Sometimes she just will give me a Monday and Tuesday run and fill in the rest of the week on Monday or Tuesday.

That would drive me nuts.  I like to know so I can plan my week, although my weeks are usually pretty consistent.

Speaking of bad weather, there is an increasing chance of a spring Nor'easter hitting us this weekend.  Of course there is, because that is how my 2017 race weather is going.  Heavy rain, heavy wind, cold temps.  I ain't driving two hours each way to race for an hour in that mess...if they even have the race at all.  They're not going to send people out on bikes in a Nor'easter.  

<3

DavePNW

Speaking of bad weather, there is an increasing chance of a spring Nor'easter hitting us this weekend.  Of course there is, because that is how my 2017 race weather is going.  Heavy rain, heavy wind, cold temps.  I ain't driving two hours each way to race for an hour in that mess...if they even have the race at all.  They're not going to send people out on bikes in a Nor'easter.  

Ugh.

Dave

onemile

I seem to be having bad luck this year too

Riding bike in that weather is just absolutely miserable

Baboon

delicate flower

Riding bike in that weather is just absolutely miserable

Cold, rain, wind:  I've done two of the three plenty of times.  I've never done all three.  The Ironman bike was bad, but at least it was 65 degrees.

<3

Cyberic

Speaking of beer...

Oh wait. Nobody was speaking of beer. Oh well, I am now Smile  Can't wait to get home and have one

onemile

Speaking of beer...

Oh wait. Nobody was speaking of beer. Oh well, I am now Smile  Can't wait to get home and have one

Did you end up deciding if you are going to do that ultramarathon?

Cyberic

I haven't decided yet. Still a logistics problem. I should have registered for the 100K. The starting line is the same as the finish line. I paid for it so I can run it if I want. I'm 80% confident I will.

Beer is good Smile

No more marathons

There are pros and cons, of course.

I do like having the full week, but I tend to only glance at the "quality" workouts and not focus on the detail.

One week I checked out the Thursday workout and then obsessed about it all week.

Now, it's enough to know that I have tough workouts on which days, but I try not to look at the detail until that morning.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Cyberic

I just read a Strava comment from the race organizer of the Ultra I'm registered in on a run from a guy who is a 3:07 marathoner. The race organizer tells the other guy that typically it's the sub 3 marathoners that go sub 4 in his "easy" 50K. He tells the guy that he should expect a 4:10.

So in my case, I'll probably be a 4:20ish in that race. At least it gives me an idea.

Runshortii

Yuck. I don't blame you, that sounds miserable.

I did an hour of body pump, and now my legs feel like jello when I walk down the stairs.

LRB

To me, online coaching services are no different than looking at pages in a book or an online plan, you're just looking at them one week at a time. I pretty much know I'll have two speed sessions and a long run most weeks, not knowing the exact details of those workouts five, six or seven weeks out really isn't anything big. The two times I followed Daniels' plans, I had to look at the workouts again at the beginning of the week anyway.

Having said all of that, the jury is still out on whether having my workouts assigned to me is better than winging it on my own. Going into it, I wasn't sure how long I would go using this method. Heading into my fourth month however, I will probably continue through the summer and see what fruit I can grab (if any) this fall.

Cyberic

To me, online coaching services are no different than looking at pages in a book or an online plan, you're just looking at them one week at a time. I pretty much know I'll have two speed sessions and a long run most weeks, not knowing the exact details of those workouts five, six or seven weeks out really isn't anything big. The two times I followed Daniels' plans, I had to look at the workouts again at the beginning of the week anyway.

Having said all of that, the jury is still out on whether having my workouts assigned to me is better than winging it on my own. Going into it, I wasn't sure how long I would go using this method. Heading into my fourth month however, I will probably continue through the summer and see what fruit I can grab (if any) this fall.

Yep. I have an idea of what's coming (when the RDs are, the long runs, the intervals) but the workouts themselves I know at the last minute almost. Like I have a workout tomorrow, I know roughly what it is, but I'll program it in a few minutes in the watch and really remember it just then. I'm following Daniels. All through winter I'd just make it up about a minute before I started.

Like DaveP,  I'm curious about all of your experiences with coaches.