Beginners and Beyond

Sick ass SaturDAILIES (Read 31 times)

LRB

Good morning!

My sympathies to all those under the weather.

I ran 7.3 miles this morning.  I wanted 10, but the body said 7.3 was all I could have.  The running parts are feeling great, but the head is still being stupid.

Have a great day folks!

Speaking of training, doesn't yours start soon?

Cyberic

So my 630 shut off during a run today for the third time since I've had it. I went through a similar phase with my 410 & 620, where learning when I couldn't run with the battery at a particular percentage was a process. It appears for this watch, that's around 20%.

The good news is, you can go into the menu and shut off all of the notifications, wifi upload, bluetooth, light, sounds, vibration and continue the run without losing what it recorded. The bad news is, I'm an idiot for not figuring this out one of the other two times it happened.

Although I do not have as many gadgets to turn off as on the 630, that is a great idea.

The 620 showed me the low battery thing while on my outside run in the cold Thursday, but I was done. If not I would have freaked out and not thought of turning off all the bells and whistles. Winter running is hard on the watches. My old Timex couldn't stand the cold. The 610 was good, but the 620 has shown me a first sign of difficulty. I charge the watch to 100% every day. It is not supposed to be possible for me to drain the battery in one day.

Looking at the Fenix 3 right now. When the 5 comes out, maybe I'll get a good  deal on the 3, and that has a huge battery,

LRB

Although I do not have as many gadgets to turn off as on the 630, that is a great idea.

The 620 showed me the low battery thing while on my outside run in the cold Thursday, but I was done. If not I would have freaked out and not thought of turning off all the bells and whistles. Winter running is hard on the watches. My old Timex couldn't stand the cold. The 610 was good, but the 620 has shown me a first sign of difficulty. I charge the watch to 100% every day. It is not supposed to be possible for me to drain the battery in one day.

Looking at the Fenix 3 right now. When the 5 comes out, maybe I'll get a good  deal on the 3, and that has a huge battery,

Yeah the low battery alert on the 620 was so powerful (light, soind and vibration), that it would do more to drain the battery than the damn satellite did!

Good point on the effect of the cold. 23% should be more than enough for a 4 or 5 mile run.

DavePNW

I am really feeling fucking lazy today. It is 11:30 and I am finally thinking about getting my shit together. Partially fear of how it will feel, but mostly just lazy.

Dave

onemile

I ran 5

onemile

My left achilles hurt all day at work yesterday, although I didn't feel anything happen during my run. Still very painful today, just to walk around. Debating on whether to try a run or not. Never had an achilles problem before. I have been more worried recently about the pain on top of my right foot. And I have tried going without my Advair (pricey asthma meds) for the last few days, which doesn't seem to be working out so great for my lungs right now. Oy, I'm falling apart.

I've had it where it hurt while not running, particularly in the morning and any time after first getting up but was ok running and I have had it where it hurts more and more as my run goes on. Hope you have the first kind..

LRB

I've had it where it hurt while not running, particularly in the morning and any time after first getting up but was ok running and I have had it where it hurts more and more as my run goes on. Hope you have the first kind..

I've had those as well. The second one required a two week break to allow the egg shaped knot on the back of my heel to go down, then an every other day running protocol of 4 miles for a week or two. I was actually training for Detroit at the time and managed to make it to the start and finish lines no worse for the wear.

DavePNW

6 miles in 44 degree rain.

Well it seems closer to the first kind, which is encouraging. It didn't completely go away while running, but was sort of a manageable dull ache. I was fully prepared to abort, but did not feel the need to.

Meanwhile - the pain on top of my other foot does seem to be shoe-dependent. It had felt more aggravated by my new Ravennas, so I took several days off them (including a run with the old Ravennas), and it was a bit better. Went back to them today, and it was worse. Of course I have been wearing Ravennas forever, but these are my first 7's. You would not think that would make a difference, but you never know. Not sure what to do.

Dave

onemile

6 miles in 44 degree rain.

Well it seems closer to the first kind, which is encouraging. It didn't completely go away while running, but was sort of a manageable dull ache. I was fully prepared to abort, but did not feel the need to.

Meanwhile - the pain on top of my other foot does seem to be shoe-dependent. It had felt more aggravated by my new Ravennas, so I took several days off them (including a run with the old Ravennas), and it was a bit better. Went back to them today, and it was worse. Of course I have been wearing Ravennas forever, but these are my first 7's. You would not think that would make a difference, but you never know. Not sure what to do.

I switched from the Ravenna to the Ghost. I think they are a pretty similar fit and while the Ghost is a neutral shoe I haven't noticed any difference or felt a lack of support in the Ghost

DavePNW

I switched from the Ravenna to the Ghost. I think they are a pretty similar fit and while the Ghost is a neutral shoe I haven't noticed any difference or felt a lack of support in the Ghost

Maybe I'll try that. Seems like a lot of people like the Ghost. I bought these from brooks.com, which has a 90-day return policy. Which is pretty amazing - "try our shoes for 90 days" - when my typical shoe life is 60 days. We have a Brooks store here (the company headquarters, in fact) maybe they'll let me take them back there & try some others.

Dave

onemile

Maybe I'll try that. Seems like a lot of people like the Ghost. I bought these from brooks.com, which has a 90-day return policy. Which is pretty amazing - "try our shoes for 90 days" - when my typical shoe life is 60 days. We have a Brooks store here (the company headquarters, in fact) maybe they'll let me take them back there & try some others.

You should be able to get the Ghost 8 on sale (current model is 9)

I wore them for the great majority of my easy miles this past marathon cycle and I previously wore the Ravenna, and Adrenaline before that (your favs)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Dave, hope the foot (feet?) feel better.

Rode my bike trainer for 30 minutes (around 5 miles) to work on leg turnover.  Range seems better today and no pain at all.  Light effort.  Will repeat or go a bit longer tomorrow.

Damaris

No more marathons

I've had those as well. The second one required a two week break to allow the egg shaped knot on the back of my heel to go down, then an every other day running protocol of 4 miles for a week or two. I was actually training for Detroit at the time and managed to make it to the start and finish lines no worse for the wear.

I've been fortunate and only had one problem with my achilles - but of course that was at the beginning of marathon training.  It was a looooooooog time ago - before my first marathon in 1981.  About 2 weeks into the start of my training, while out on a run I felt (and heard) a pop in my left ankle.  Being young and foolish, I decided to not let that sideline my training.  Before and after every run I would forceably massage the area - essentially breaking up the knot of tissue.  I guess that was the precursor to rolling.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

Got in my long run of the week -  11 miles with a pickup over the last three.

Felt pretty good about the run and went to check the data as soon as I got back.

MF- the watch said it was syncing with my garmin app, but there was no run there.  MFSB.

That's the second time that has happened - and I think the last time it was also a longish run.

Went to Mr. Google and found I could hook my watch up to the computer and upload the .fit file.

Well yeah - except I kept getting an "error - fail to load - try again" on the garmin site.  GDMFSB.

Upload to RA and Strava went OK.  Tried GC again and this time it went.  All is now right with the world.

Although I hope I don't have to go back to manual loads every time.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Not sure why Strava is not accepting my bike workouts.  Not sure why as they are a fit file like my others.  Weird.  I keep getting a note of bad upload.

Damaris