Beginners and Beyond

NYC Marathon Dailies (Read 39 times)

onemile

18 miles with 10 at GMP. Pretty much nailed it. Although as always, it was hard work, and felt like no way I could hold that for 26.2.

73 for the week.

I approve of this as GMP 

LRB

Marathons: where dreams and reality collide. Oof.

I am still processing the stupid thing but to Dave's point, my plan was to run conservatively the first half which is something new for me. I am more of a start fast, finish slow type of marathon runner (read, positive split) but everything I read about this course suggested that would be a mistake. I stayed true to the plan and when it was time to go for it (miles 17 - 21) I gave it my best shot.

Needless to say I was disappointed with the finish time but not with my overall effort. That sounds weird but I feel like when the going got tough, I hung in there as best I could.

There was some wacky shit going on with my GPS which I'll touch on later. Not making excuses but that kind of screwed me up, I wasn't running what I thought I was running.

Anyway, I was engaged during the entire race and did not check out mentally once as I've done so many times in the past. Towards the end I didn't let the fact that I had failed at my goal(s) affect the task at hand. I did my best all the way through and anytime you can say that, you can live with the results.

And now, I'm about to get drunker than shit!

onemile

Needless to say I was disappointed with the finish time but not with my overall effort. That sounds weird but I feel like when the going got tough, I hung in there as best I could.

There was some wacky shit going on with my GPS which I'll touch on later. Not making excuses but that kind of screwed me up, I wasn't running what I thought I was running.

Anyway, I was engaged during the entire race and did not check out mentally once as I've done so many times in the past. Towards the end I didn't let the fact that I had failed at my goal(s) affect the task at hand. I did my best all the way through and anytime you can say that, you can live with the results.

All you can do is train your best and give it your best effort on go day and you did both!

My gps was totally whack too and while I expected it on the bottom level of the bridge I didn't after that. I should have warned you but I thought it was just me

Baboon

delicate flower

Totally agree. Being able to say this after a race doesn't go entirely as planned can still leave you feeling satisfied.  It usually does for me.  Nice job toughing it out, LRB.  Enjoy your upcoming full body numbness!

<3

I am still processing the stupid thing but to Dave's point, my plan was to run conservatively the first half which is something new for me. I am more of a start fast, finish slow type of marathon runner (read, positive split) but everything I read about this course suggested that would be a mistake. I stayed true to the plan and when it was time to go for it (miles 17 - 21) I gave it my best shot.

👍👍👍

sdWhiskers

18 miles with 10 at GMP. Pretty much nailed it. Although as always, it was hard work, and felt like no way I could hold that for 26.2.

Same for me yesterday. And same feeling about MP 

DavePNW

Yep. Once you get to the starting line, all you can control is your effort. Based on that, sounds like you did your job. Even though you fell 10 seconds short of my Boston time. 

And regarding your last line - I approve this message. Just stay away from that 26.2 beer.

Dave

DavePNW

Same for me yesterday. And same feeling about MP 

Yeah, everyone says with taper, race day adrenaline, blah blah blah...but still hard to imagine. Even though I’ve done this shit a bunch of times. Of course sometimes you can hold it in the race, and sometimes you can’t. Regardless of how your training runs went.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

LRB, great run, though!  My GPS during my NYCMs was off most of the race which makes it hard to pace.  Still, strong effort.

Damaris

Cyberic

73 for the week.

Cyberic

LRB, your plan to start conservatively was the right one IMO. You don't have the result you wanted, but it still is a great marathon time considering the course.

About your best effort, I totally agree.Awesome multiple months effort. No regrets.

bluerun

Super B****

GPS always goes apeshit around here (or should I say “there,” since I’m currently away?)... that’s why I like pace bands when there’s a market every mile!

The bold part is what matters, if you ask me; hanging in there when you know you’ve missed your goal is a sign of true determination, and not many people can do that. So kudos!

Seeing all these people marathoning today kind of makes me want to do it again. That was not meant to happen...

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Baboon

delicate flower

It's been nearly 3.5 hours.  I am kind of wondering how this is going.

<3

DavePNW

It's been nearly 3.5 hours.  I am kind of wondering how this is going.

I hope we find out, we don’t get enough drunk posting around here.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

3 miles on the treadmill.

LRB, sorry the time wasn;t what you wanted. It is so tough when GPS goes nuts.