Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES: Heard it through the Grapevine (Read 31 times)

LRB

This is basically how I do it. One time at a track I counted 70 steps (total of both feet) to run 100m. So I actually count 70 steps for my strides. I start them every 0.2 miles on my watch, so the recovery jog to get to the next 0.2 ends up at about 200m.

I realize it doesn't need to be that precise, but if I didn't keep track somehow it'd be all over the map. As it is, sometimes I will be in a recovery jog, totally forget I'm doing strides, and blow past the next 0.2.

This is exactly what happens to me so you nailed it.

Cyberic

This is basically how I do it. One time at a track I counted 70 steps (total of both feet) to run 100m. 

I do my strides in seconds. I count 3 foot falls for 1 second (180/minute). So "1-2-1, 1-2-2, 1-2-3, 1-2-4,  1-2-5, and so on". I take huge recoveries when I do strides. Typically 1/2 mile or so.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

After the 5 yesterday, planned on an easy 3 today.   Did a route on-and-near the campus of the university where I work.  So much for planned 3, ended up with 3.8 instead.  Forgot about some construction going on at the campus so had to take the 'long' way back to the gym to get around all that stuff.  It's all good, felt pretty good this morning, even though the high dew-point and humidity was just awful this morning.   We have already had several 100 degree days this summer...and we've still got August to go through, which is typically our hottest month of the year, oh happy happy joy joy! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

DavePNW

I do my strides in seconds. I count 3 foot falls for 1 second (180/minute). So "1-2-1, 1-2-2, 1-2-3, 1-2-4,  1-2-5, and so on". I take huge recoveries when I do strides. Typically 1/2 mile or so.

There may be no "wrong" way to do them, but this seems like the wrong way to do them. Isn't it?

Dave

onemile

Wow, you people take your strides seriously

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I just take mine in stride.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

DavePNW

Running is serious bidniss.

Dave

LRB

I won't be counting them shits again I'll tell ya that. I'll pick a spot up the block and run to it like I've been doing. lol

MTA: It was an interesting experiment though.

onemile

I'll tell ya that. I'll pick a spot up the block and run to it like I've been doing. lol

That's how I have done them. But it's not like I do them regularly.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I just run them by time (30sec) or distance (100m) and be done with.  If I start counting my steps, while stepping and trying to breathe, I might fall off the pavement or TM. LOL

Damaris

DavePNW

I just run them by time (30sec) or distance (100m) and be done with.  If I start counting my steps, while stepping and trying to breathe, I might fall off the pavement or TM. LOL

I decided for me, that counting steps would be less distracting than having to keep looking at my watch when running at max speed.

Dave

GinnyinPA

I do them by counting steps.  I've always been a counter, (a little OCD) so it's easy for me. I'll either run 25, 30 or 50 steps (counting only the right foot). Sometimes I do one every half mile, sometimes I do 25 fast, 50 slow, 25 fast, 50 slow for the last mile of my run.

onemile

I really wish I could run 70mpw without being exhausted

DavePNW

I really wish I could run 70mpw without being exhausted

If you could, then you weren't doing it right.

Dave

onemile

If you could, then you weren't doing it right.

Maybe if I quit my job...