Beginners and Beyond

Penguins are not junk food Thursdailies (Read 14 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

It's National Junk Food Day.  Just wanted to alert everyone that Penguins should not be considered junk food!!  I will probably have corn chips, as DH made some salsa yesterday that we usually consume as a meal, with corn chips.  Speaking of DH, he's been on a tear the last couple of days, getting stuff done!!  My car has been serviced, he scheduled the take-down of a dead tree, he made zucchini bread, ordered a new modem, explored getting our DSL speeds upped and our payments lowered, ordered new parts to fix my washing machine, and he's playing with the Roomba we just got.  Ok, that one might be more me than him, but you would not BELIEVE the amount of pet hair that thing vacuumed up!!

Chorus tonight, woo-hoo!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

From the Internet.

Ooh junk food day! Big grin I've been trying to be good about food consumption (more veggies and less junk) after seeing all the gazelle-goddesses who beat the snot out of me at Sunday's 10K. I'd been thinking I had about 5 lbs left to lose but really it's probably more like 10+ to be really competitive. Not smart to go too crazy on weight loss during marathon training anyway, so I will probably treat myself to something at Starbucks when I mosey on over for my free coffee in a minute (DH buys coffee fairly often on our shared rewards account and I reap all the rewards, haha).

17 dang miles in beautiful weather. Got up early enough that I needed my flashy vest and headlamp, looped past the house so I could ditch them in my mailbox along with my first gel wrapper at mile 6. 8:40 average and I was just cruising along feeling awesome. I need some coffee now!

Singer who runs a smidge

Ooh junk food day! Big grin I've been trying to be good about food consumption (more veggies and less junk) after seeing all the gazelle-goddesses who beat the snot out of me at Sunday's 10K. I'd been thinking I had about 5 lbs left to lose but really it's probably more like 10+ to be really competitive. Not smart to go too crazy on weight loss during marathon training anyway, so I will probably treat myself to something at Starbucks when I mosey on over for my free coffee in a minute (DH buys coffee fairly often on our shared rewards account and I reap all the rewards, haha).

17 dang miles in beautiful weather. Got up early enough that I needed my flashy vest and headlamp, looped past the house so I could ditch them in my mailbox along with my first gel wrapper at mile 6. 8:40 average and I was just cruising along feeling awesome. I need some coffee now!

Sounds awesome!!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

My wife has been at a conference at Nashville and is coming home tonite.  i will get a few miles in after work in the evening before I go to the airport to pick her up.

Last night I did a Veteran Suicide Awareness Run/Walk with some of my fellow veterans of San Antonio Chapter of Team RWB (Red White Blue). We go from the VFW on the San Antonio Riverwalk - the oldest VFW Post in Texas - to The Alamo, where we have a brief ceremony and then get a group photo, and then back to the VFW. It's about 2 miles round-trip, but some of us do go back to the VFW on different routes on the way back to get a bit longer in.  I ended up with 2.5 miles.  Since we did it at 6:30 pm, it was pretty darn warm - 96 degree temp, 102 heat index.

This is a monthly run Team RWB does on the day of the month that matches the 'statistics' in order to bring awareness to the fact that so many veterans sadly commit suicide - it is estimated that 18 - 22 veterans a day (this includes ALL veterans, not just combat veterans, etc) commit suicide.  For a long time the VA put the number at 22 but recently that number went to 20.   So whatever the number happens to be....that is the day we run/walk - so we did our event this month on the 20th   Once we got there, a number of my team-mates did 20 pushups in memory of those 20 troubled vets a day that sadly take their own lives.

Then it was back to The VFW on the Riverwalk - the oldest VFW Post in Texas, where we had an after-party social evening with some cold beer - which felt pretty good after running in our Texas heat.

A friend of mine did a photo slide show of the event last night...and this is what we try to do each month, never knowing what day it will be on each month, because the statistical number tends to change - but we hope someday it will be ZERO!

I'm in there somewhere in the group photos, wearing my usual gloves, lol, so look for those, you can probably spot me.    In one photo I am talking to a friend, while his doggie is patiently standing beside me waiting for his treat, lol.  Yes, he finally did get his doggie biscuit.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1620985414880995&set=gm.879369632196093&type=3&theater

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

For Junk Food Day, I am doing crunches!  Nestle's Crunches, that is! 

Sounds like your husband has earned a reward! 

Jeez, Lauren...17 miles!  Congrats!

It's National Junk Food Day.  Just wanted to alert everyone that Penguins should not be considered junk food!!  I will probably have corn chips, as DH made some salsa yesterday that we usually consume as a meal, with corn chips.  Speaking of DH, he's been on a tear the last couple of days, getting stuff done!!  My car has been serviced, he scheduled the take-down of a dead tree, he made zucchini bread, ordered a new modem, explored getting our DSL speeds upped and our payments lowered, ordered new parts to fix my washing machine, and he's playing with the Roomba we just got.  Ok, that one might be more me than him, but you would not BELIEVE the amount of pet hair that thing vacuumed up!!

Chorus tonight, woo-hoo!!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Oh No...Beat the Blerch Chicago was cancelled due to a lack of interest.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Jerry - sad that the blerch race was cancelled :-(

HsM - no junkfood for me today, though I may have had two scoops of (vegan) ice cream last night.  My building had an ice cream truck come to our building and give out free ice cream because they amenities are under construction.  It was a nice perk.

I did a mile easy with DH this morning.  He really didn't want to go but I bugged him enough that he did :-P

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi!  Sorry I have not been giving you updates.  Hubby was released yesterday from the hospital (15 hours post surgery).  It was the new normal for surgeries like that.  This is amazing.  We just went for a walk so he is definitely doing better.

I ran 12 TM miles, and feels nice to be back.

Damaris

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hi!  Sorry I have not been giving you updates.  Hubby was released yesterday from the hospital (15 hours post surgery).  It was the new normal for surgeries like that.  This is amazing.  We just went for a walk so he is definitely doing better.

I ran 12 TM miles, and feels nice to be back.

Smile