Beginners and Beyond

Debut Marathon Training: Solo or Group Effort? (Read 97 times)

Anomalous

I registered for my first marathon and selected a beginner marathon plan months ago. Recently, however, the idea of training with a popular local running/walking club was tossed at me. I never really considered it, but took the time to email them and get some feedback from one of the coaches. I gave him my background info, questions, concerns and he gave me an abundance of information about the marathon training group, recommendations and encouraged me to sign-up for the fall program. So I'm basically looking for some additional feedback from everyone here. Here's just a little break down of what my options are:

A.

• Use the popular generic 18 week beginner marathon plan
    • Run 4 days a week
    • LRs with a marathon friend on some weekends

B.

• Use a 13 week marathon plan customized by a certified coach
    • Run 5 days per week (can be adjusted if  necessary)
    • Meet Wed. and Sat. for group runs

What say you?

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I always run solo so for me there is not even a question.  I meet with the running group but no one runs my pace so even with the group I run alone.  I would do most of the runs solo (especially if you're doing the marathon by youself) but join the group for a run from time to time.

I would also be afraid of running with a group if you notice the group is pushing your runs to be faster, especially the long run.

Damaris

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

13 weeks seems short.  Marathon training plans I am aware of usually consist of at least 16 weeks.

5 days a week may be too much for a beginner, unless you do it very gradually and your body is OK with it.

The important question is whether you enjoy running with a group.  Personally I don't, so to me the answer would be obvious.  However, if you have never run with a group and find it not to your liking after a few sessions, you can always drop out and continue solo.

good luck.

Just B.S.

I think it depends a lot on your personality, goals, schedule and previous running history and ability to stick

to a schedule as a solo runner.

I ran 16 halfs and for 10 years prior to training for my first full (also a few 25k and a 30k race prior to the full).

So my running and training habits were well established and I already knew what I needed to do to get myself

to the finish line.

I learned about myself over the years that I don't like running on someone else's schedule. That I prefer to run

alone, other than with hubby,  and actually run better and pace myself better when I run alone.

Hubby and I start out long runs together and meet up at the end to walk the mile up our hill to home.

For me personally I feel that if I can do all those training runs solo, especially the long ones,  and hit my

paces it gives me a lot more confidence on race day that I don't need to depend on anyone else to get

me to the finish line at my goal time.

Most of our friends are runners and we hang out with them a lot but I rarely run with them.

Other people love to train and run with a group or partner and find it helps their paces. Is there an option to

just join in when you feel like it and do your own thing other times?

I run solo, except for the weekly meetup with my LRS's run club, which is just a fun, easy run to vent frustration after work. Training alone was great. It gave me an excuse to say no when anyone made unappreciated demands of my time.

I'm about to undertake option "A", so yea.....

I can't do LR's by myself. I get kinda bored after 90 minutes or so. Thankfully I have a buddy who will be doing a similar plan to me.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

Wonderful advice you've already got here. I have to agree with them. Personally, I prefer to run alone for all the reasons that have already been stated. You might do better in a group, but you don't know until you try it. I'd say give it a chance because a group might help you stay on track with your training, but that plan sounds a bit aggressive. I'd spend the summer working on building a solid base, maybe see if they offer a regular group run before the program starts. You could check a local run store to see if they host any group runs to see if it's something you like.

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~

Dreamn

I didn't vote in the poll.

I trained with a group for my first and made long-term running friends that I can call up now and say hey, let's go run 14-20 miles Smile.  I couldn't make all of the weekday runs and did those solo.  The weekend long runs were great, because running 16, 18, 20 miles alone for the first time seemed daunting.

It definitely depends on your personality.  The only thing you might want to do is follow your 18-week plan and join the group at week 13.  I followed my group's 14 week plan and it just wasn't enough and was too weekend heavy.

Anomalous

Most of my running/training  has been solo. I've done a few weekend runs with a group before, but usually find myself breaking away.

Also, you guys hit on a key concern that I had and expressed to the coach... the pace of the other runners. I've joined in on a couple of their "open to the public" Saturday group LRs and it was really hard to tell who was actually part of the club and who were just non-club members training on the route. A few were running at my pace, some slower and a lot were faster.

So yes, I can still use them for the Saturday LRs without joining an official training group.

As far as 5 days, I've only subjected myself  to that type of training for some HM goals last fall at it was tough!

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

LRB

I toyed with the idea of signing up with a training group for my first marathon but ultimately decided to go it alone.  There are pros and cons to both so it comes down to what you are most comfortable with.  For me, I like doing my own thing at the times and days that I want to do them.  I did however, meet up with a running club for periodic group runs but for the most part, I trained on my own.

In any event, do not feel pressured or forced into the decision.  Give it some honest thought, weigh the pros and cons as they apply to you, then go with what you think is best.  For you.

Above all else, believe in whatever it is you decide to do.

Good luck!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

If you are doing the marathon solo, you should attempt some of the LRs alone, or you'll be bored after 90 minutes of the race.

I'm about to undertake option "A", so yea.....

I can't do LR's by myself. I get kinda bored after 90 minutes or so. Thankfully I have a buddy who will be doing a similar plan to me.

Damaris

We're doing the same race. We'll be alright.

If you are doing the marathon solo, you should attempt some of the LRs alone, or you'll be bored after 90 minutes of the race.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

Anomalous

It definitely depends on your personality.  The only thing you might want to do is follow your 18-week plan and join the group at week 13.  I followed my group's 14 week plan and it just wasn't enough and was too weekend heavy.

That was a suggestion.

Just B.S.

As far as 5 days, I've only subjected myself  to that type of training for some HM goals last fall at it was tough!

I know this totally depends on the individual runners physical capabilities, years of running, experience,goals

average miles over many years etc. BUT just wanted to say that I never run more than 4 days/week and have

successfully completed 5 marathons with #6 coming on May 12th.

First one at 4:39 and  with a PR of 4:20 last Sept on less than 38mpw average over the training cycle. Probably 

my highest mileage week was about 43 miles.

I do however do a lots of cycling in lieu of a 5th day of running. Probably cycling 3 days/week during training for

a fall marathon. I know lots of people will say this doesn't work but it does for me. One never knows what will

work for them until they try it and I guess that would include trying the group runs.

Anomalous

In any event, do not feel pressured or forced into the decision.  Give it some honest thought, weigh the pros and cons as they apply to you, then go with what you think is best.  For you.

Above all else, believe in whatever it is you decide to do.

Good luck!

Thanks! Smile