Beginners and Beyond

Unlimited BEER thread. Who's game? (Read 199 times)

Love the Half

Mentioning aging, I have some 120's that I plan to age for several years.  About a year ago, I managed to pick up a flight of DFH Worldwide Stout.  For $50, I picked up one each of a bottle from 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, & 2008.  They are all aging at 54 degrees in my wine refrigerator and I intend to open them in 2014 just to see what a 10 year old bottle tastes like and then compare it with the rest.  I'm also going to put a decade on one of the 120's and see what happens.  Most bottles, I age for 2-3 years.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

What happened to the pic posting icon? Why can't post a pic anymore?

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Nice, LTH.  Refrigerated may be the way to go with those 120 mins -- I opened a room temp stored '07 in 2010 and the hops were totally shot, ended up marinating chicken with it. I was a bit surprised, as I age Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout at room temp for years and open up awesomely smooth nectars of the gods with all the alcohol heat gone.

Nice, LTH.  Refrigerated may be the way to go with those 120 mins -- I opened a room temp stored '07 in 2010 and the hops were totally shot, ended up marinating chicken with it. I was a bit surprised, as I age Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout at room temp for years and open up awesomely smooth nectars of the gods with all the alcohol heat gone.

All hop aroma dies with aging regardless of temp. Maybe it's faster at room temp, but it's wisest to drink most IPA's or IIPA's relatively fresh. Now, the 120, maybe that's a different beast and aged for a different reason. I'd love to hear the results of that.  The bitterness will remain, the aroma will likely be mostly if not entirely gone.. the malts are the wildcard.

LRS

Chasing Muses

All hop aroma dies with aging regardless of temp. Maybe it's faster at room temp, but it's wisest to drink most IPA's or IIPA's relatively fresh. Now, the 120, maybe that's a different beast and aged for a different reason. I'd love to hear the results of that.  The bitterness will remain, the aroma will likely be mostly if not entirely gone.. the malts are the wildcard.

That's what I understood too. ATST does the same apply to Barleywine too?

ETA: LTH, I appreciate the discipline it must take to not open each of those 120 Minutes by the end of the week. One of these days, I'll get my hands on a bottle.

Ken WD

Had my first DFH Burton Baton this evening. It's an oaked Imperial IPA, that caught my eye at the LWBS today (because it's the only DFH offering they had in stock that I had not tried). Excellent aromatics and the oak seems to blend the hops perfectly. I know IPAs dont age well, but I'm tempted to put one of these away for a while and see what it does in the bottle.

It wouldn't shock me if this one would age better than most because of the barrel aging. Would probably be similar to a barrel aged barley wine. It certainly has a high enough abv to age, but it will lose the hop aroma. The double IPA's that don't age well are the ones that are lighter on malt and are just a showcase of hops.

Love the Half

Opened a Rochefort 10 last night just for the hell of it.  Gawd it was good.  Like, "this shit should be illegal" good.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

anyone try Bud Black Crown amber lager? Looks ok in the SB ads.

Mmmmm...beer

anyone try Bud Black Crown amber lager? Looks ok in the SB ads.

Haven't tried it, looks like Bud's first real beer. Smile Drinking Yuengling Black & Tan for the game.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Dave, you deserve several beers.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

this is one of te best beers I've ever had

Opened a Rochefort 10 last night just for the hell of it.  Gawd it was good.  Like, "this shit should be illegal" good.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Mmmmm...beer

Dave, you deserve several beers.

I'm working on it.  Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

I don't know a lot about beer, but I do know that I'm enjoying a Samual Adams Winter Lager. I know that it won't be around too much longer, since winter will undoubtedly end, but I do enjoy it when it's in season.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

LRS

Chasing Muses

Haul from today's trip to the wine shop.

DW left a nearly full Sierra Nevada Torpedo open on the counter before going to bed.

Score!