Beginners and Beyond

Work Release FriDAILIES (Read 41 times)

I hate everything other than running. When I've had to take time off, it's been pretty brutal.

I'm hoping that in addition to whatever else the doc prescribes, he also sends me off with a shitton of anti depressants.  Because this is not going to be pretty.

It's better than the last time I had to take time off though, which coincided with my quitting a 15 year smoking habit and trying not to get fat because no smoking + no running = disaster.  So I was hungry, pissed off, and unable to access my go-to cure for being pissed off.  Hopefully I can be less of an asshole to people this time around.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I don’t blame you. There’s a HM in Chicago I really want to run in January, but I don’t want to run it if it’s snowing/ice. But Midwest in the winter there’s a chance it could be 45 and sunny, or 20 with a foot of snow

Go for it. It could hardly be much worse than a 30K in Cambridge, MA in January which I ran years ago.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Runshortii

Are you talking about the F3?  I love that race and will be running it in January for the 3rd time!

That’s the one. It seems to be popular, I’ve been wanting to run it for a few years now

KCRuns

That’s the one. It seems to be popular, I’ve been wanting to run it for a few years now

Do you live in Chicago?

It's one of my favorites and I sign up for to keep me running through the holidays and winter with no excuses.  But it's a good time and they do a great after party at one of our neighborhood bars.  2 years ago was mid-20s & sunny and was pretty much perfect running weather.  Last year fulfilled the f*cking freezing frozen namesake and I was amazed to see runners out there in shorts and tanks!  Not me though, I was dressed appropriately for the weather!   I also signed up for the Polar Dash 10k on Jan 6.  I haven't done it before, but most people I've talked to enjoy that one, too (they also have 5k & HM options).

DavePNW

I'm hoping that in addition to whatever else the doc prescribes, he also sends me off with a shitton of anti depressants.  Because this is not going to be pretty.

It's better than the last time I had to take time off though, which coincided with my quitting a 15 year smoking habit and trying not to get fat because no smoking + no running = disaster.  So I was hungry, pissed off, and unable to access my go-to cure for being pissed off.  Hopefully I can be less of an asshole to people this time around.

And the #2 cure for this, alcohol, does not exactly help keep the weight off. (If you're doing it right.)

Dave

GinnyinPA

LM - you're right, what you describe sounds more like OP than a sfx. Since sfx don't show up on xrays and I was too cheap to pay for an MRI, it was diagnosed by the fact that it hurt when weight bearing but not when I was not weight bearing. I could not hop on one foot. Just the thought hurt. The OP I thought I had (again, too cheap to go to doctor who would only tell me to rest) was center of the pubis rather than to the side as the sfx was. The sfx pain radiated down the leg. Bluerun heals really quickly. It took me 7 months in all before I could run normally. I tried at 5 months and the pain came back. You might try pool running. My orthopedist said that was better than swimming for the sfx. He also said I could do a stationary bike. No walking though, even if it doesn't hurt.

oldfartrunner

Fuckit, it is somewhere.  Let's do it!

Another RD.  Spent far too much time on google last night, and ended up in tears.  What I came away with is if I've got a stress fx (which looks like a very distinct possibility) any running will make it worse and keep it from healing, so it's a cold turkey situation.  If it's the OP, which I still think is the forerunner, any running will make it worse and keep it from healing, so cold turkey.  Stress fx looks like a 16 week time sink, OP looks like 3.5 months, which is basically the same.  Either way, I'm not running another step until I know what it is.  We're counting these weeks starting yesterday.

Got an appointment for Monday at 10 for films and exam, if it's OP, they'll also do the PRP injection.  If it's a stress fx, then I'll continue to beat myself up mentally for not taking calcium, not drinking enough milk, not getting enough iron, and all the other shit that I have probably done to create this situation.

I'm going to have to learn to swim   Last time I had to take time off I attempted to replicate my training volume by substituting my hours of running with equivalent hours of spin.  I ended up with saddle sores 7 days into this poorly thought out plan.  Now I know I have to alternate with something else, and I don't know of any other non-weight bearing activity.  Just now Imma drink the triathlon kool aid.  It was only a matter of time 

Bert, I read your race report last night, and it. was. amazing.  I did not skip or skim, it was hilarious and a really fun read.  Super happy for your results and the saving of the season.  You're the best half-asser I know Wink

What about pool running?  Or maybe elliptical? I think darkwave has a pool running blog, and is a lawyer too. Might ask her? It might not be as bad as you are thinking, so try not and lose hope yet. Smile

Here's a link to find her.

http://wellimtryingtorun.blogspot.com/

https://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/6c6e5d5df2a543e4937b0257244f8fb4/0?pgctx=0Cw1NEZj7SD5Y5X5JwTrTb42TWA

LRB

I don't know LRB, that is like 2% beer or near beer to a 5K racer.  But yeah, MP is pretty well like gear 3. Here's the gears: #1.Revovery/Granny. #2. Normal/easy. #3. MP. #4 1/2 pace. #5.TH/10mile/15K.  #6.10K.  #7. 5K. #8 2mile/3K.  #9 1mile. #10 BTW/finish line sprint!

There is also fast easy (20 to 30 seconds faster than daily easy pace, but still 10 to 15 seconds out from marathon pace) which most would probably consider normal. I do not as I am not always able to run it so easily depending on where I am on the training calendar in terms of volume and/or intensity. But anyway, I should have prefixed my comment that for me, marathon pace is a useful tool in my middle distance training arsenal. Poppin' off 4 miles at MP during a 7 mile easy run after a setback is not a walk in the park, but it has been firmly established that I am pretty much an oddball where training is concerned, so that probably only applies to me. As for the faster stuff, one usually knows when they're ready for it without asking the question. Alas, the question was asked, so if it were me (keep in mind that I'm an oddball), I would start off with fast easy, progress to marathon pace, then reassess the injury. But since it's not me, I suppose he should jump right into a set of 200m "R" pace intervals, and enjoy the return to flight.

hog4life

Had a vendor here at the Expo selling shoes for $20, then later on for $10! I bought 2 pairs for $30. The only catch is they are Neutral, and I usually wear Stability. I have worn a neutral before to about 450 miles without issue, so hopefully I’ll get some use out of them.

Any thoughts on wearing both?

LRB

I had a pile of pasta for breakfast, rice and beans for lunch, caramelized sweet potatoes for an afternoon snack, and just plowed through some pasta salad and four slices of grilled french bread. I don't know where that urge came from, but dammit, I liked it.

LRB

Had a vendor here at the Expo selling shoes for $20, then later on for $10! I bought 2 pairs for $30. The only catch is they are Neutral, and I usually wear Stability. I have worn a neutral before to about 450 miles without issue, so hopefully I’ll get some use out of them.

Any thoughts on wearing both?

At the same time? No, I wouldn't do that.

I would ease into the neutral shoes, like one day a week, and just look out for anything out of the ordinary where pain is concerned. Each time I've tried running in neutral shoes, it has failed. Wah.

LRB

Did it take longer, or less time?  Nothing specific happened, just gradually started feeling a weird twinge last week in the front of my pelvic bone every time my foot strikes, it's gotten worse and worse.  I took Tuesday off, it felt better by Wednesday morning, but then worse than before after I ran Wednesday.  It's starting to be painful when not running, and I can tell I'm compensating when I run (trying to eliminate impact).  I actually wasn't suspecting a sfx until someone here suggested it, some of the symptoms line up, but I still think it's pretty unlikely.  My pain is exactly mid-line radiating out bilaterally, and I can stand on either foot just fine, no pain.  But seems wise to get confirmation with films.  There's a chance it could be in inguinal ligament strain.  If that's what's going on, I would be more inclined to just tone down the intensity and keep running through it.

Something I read on the web once cost me $1,500, and wasn't anywhere near the ballpark geezus.

Another time I was told I had three stress fractures in my shin. And still another time, I was told I may not be able to run again after suffering a groin injury, which resulted in pain on my pubic bone where the muscle attached. That one really fucked me up mentally!

It sounds scary, but until you know, you just don't know. I've found that the search for answers sometimes leads to more questions than answers. Hopefully, that is not the case for you. But if it is, in those instances, you are the likely link to the answer.

oldfartrunner

There is also fast easy (20 to 30 seconds faster than daily easy pace, but still 10 to 15 seconds out from marathon pace) which most would probably consider normal. I do not as I am not always able to run it so easily depending on where I am on the training calendar in terms of volume and/or intensity. But anyway, I should have prefixed my comment that for me, marathon pace is a useful tool in my middle distance training arsenal. Poppin' off 4 miles at MP during a 7 mile easy run after a setback is not a walk in the park, but it has been firmly established that I am pretty much an oddball where training is concerned, so that probably only applies to me. As for the faster stuff, one usually knows when they're ready for it without asking the question. Alas, the question was asked, so if it were me (keep in mind that I'm an oddball), I would start off with fast easy, progress to marathon pace, then reassess the injury. But since it's not me, I suppose he should jump right into a set of 200m "R" pace intervals, and enjoy the return to flight.

Just giving you a hard time LRB.  Yeah, I like gear 3 getting back into the swing of things, and as some easier faster aerobic work in a progression run, or on an easy LR weekend when you want a little "more", but want to keep it aerobic. 10-15 from MP getting back into it is usually around current MP too. So your not that odd.

onemile

I had a pile of pasta for breakfast, rice and beans for lunch, caramelized sweet potatoes for an afternoon snack, and just plowed through some pasta salad and four slices of grilled french bread. I don't know where that urge came from, but dammit, I liked it.

Carb loading? 

onemile

At the same time? No, I wouldn't do that.

I would ease into the neutral shoes, like one day a week, and just look out for anything out of the ordinary where pain is concerned. Each time I've tried running in neutral shoes, it has failed. Wah.

I switched to neutral shoes pretty much all at once.  Well my speedwork shoes were already neutral. But I went from running 5 easy runs a week in stability shoes to neutral every day without any transition period and surprisingly had no problem.  After wearing stability shoes for 8 years.

But I don't know that neutral shoes are better. So you don't have to Wah.