Beginners and Beyond

Freezing FRIDAILIES (Read 50 times)

B-Plus

Toronto is harder than Boston? Do you mean #STWM or the other one? Maybe I should go to Hamilton then!

onemile

Scotty...

NYCM is definitely harder, by about 3 or 4 minutes for a runner like myself. Toronto is about the same difficulty as Boston, maybe a minute or two more difficult. Most of my other marathons were in the tropics, so not comparable because of the weather. Chicago was easier, so was Amherstburg and Hamilton. Ottawa was freaking hard, but only because it was my first, otherwise it's comparable to Boston. Prague was so much fun that I remember nothing of the difficulty of the course (except that we ran about 25% of it on cobblestones and tram tracks). Where else have I run marathons?  I can't remember... Oh yeah, Nova Scotia was hard, because hot in June and four boring loops with one stupid big hill (4 times). Fredericton is about as easy as Boston. And Niagara-on-the-Lake is hard because of June and an almost 2 mile incline. There, the story of my life, bro.

Of those, I have only run Chicago and I think pretty much anything is harder than Chicago.

LRB

It sure does...

I know what it's supposed to be but artichoke comes to mind instead. lol

happylily

Toronto is harder than Boston? Do you mean #STWM or the other one? Maybe I should go to Hamilton then!

Similar, but a tad harder. Less linear, less of a cheering crowd, often windy by the lake... Also many train tracks!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Ric-G

Good distinction re Boston. I never did allow myself to feel good because I knew the "hills" were looming. They just show up at a sucky time. And I do think NYCM was a more difficult course than Boston especially with those sucky undulations in central park.

It's a difficult course to run well, but it's not a hard course as marathons go. NYC from what I've heard and read is a much harder course.

marathon pr - 3:16

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Good distinction re Boston. I never did allow myself to feel good because I knew the "hills" were looming. They just show up at a sucky time. And I do think NYCM was a more difficult course than Boston especially with those sucky undulations in central park.

Boston was my first marathon back in 1970. I was scared to death of the Newton Hills. In hindsight that was amusing, because I was at the top of Heartbreak still looking for the "killer" hills. The ones I'd just finished running were nothing to speak of after training in the CT hills around UConn.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

StepbyStep-SH

Sorry to interrupt all the rah-rah, running, Boston, blahblahblah, but this involuntary swimmer has something to say.

I have to recognize good customer service when I get it. A swim cap (very inexpensive one) that I had ordered from SwimOutlet.com tore when I tried to put it on for the first time, and when I received an email invitation to write a review, I posted that.
                Within hours, their customer service department emailed me saying they were refunding the cost of the cap AND sending me a free replacement. That is customer service done right.

You may resume running.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

Sorry to interrupt all the rah-rah, running, Boston, blahblahblah, but this involuntary swimmer has something to say.

You're funny.  The only sin in the dailies is not posting. lol

Good news!

happylily

I have to recognize good customer service when I get it. A swim cap (very inexpensive one) that I had ordered from SwimOutlet.com tore when I tried to put it on for the first time, and when I received an email invitation to write a review, I posted that.
                    Within hours, their customer service department emailed me saying they were refunding the cost of the cap AND sending me a free replacement. That is customer service done right.

You may resume running.

Impressive!

happylily

Boston was my first marathon back in 1970. I was scared to death of the Newton Hills. In hindsight that was amusing, because I was at the top of Heartbreak still looking for the "killer" hills. The ones I'd just finished running were nothing to speak of after training in the CT hills around UConn.

When I ran Boston with Peter, I remember asking him "When are the hills starting?" His reply: "We've already done two."

onemile

When I ran Boston with Peter, I remember asking him "When are the hills starting?" His reply: "We've already done two."

Did you run a lot of hill workouts on the treadmill?

outoftheblue

Debbie-downer alert.  I've been in a running slump lately.   I just can't seem to shake off all the little aches and pains I seemed to have acquired since my marathon.   I thought I was making progress, but my first real temp run last week left me feeling stiff-hipped and achy again.   I am debating  whether just to take a week or two off.

I was keeping it to myself, but according to LRB it's a sin not to post , so I might as well share my whining.

Life is good.

happylily

Did you run a lot of hill workouts on the treadmill?

I don't know if it's smart of me to give all my TM secrets... Hmm... Meh... you're already faster than me anyway, might as well share.  I would do one workout a week, during an easy run, with hill intervals. They would vary according to my mood or the length of the run. Sometimes they were mile intervals, sometimes they were just a bunch of 800m intervals, but at an higher incline. The Boston hills are between 3 and 5% incline, btw. Nothing big.

LRB

I was keeping it to myself.....

You know better than that! 

I actually suffered a setback during a quality run myself and dialed it back so I feel you on that.  You may just need to do a pelvic realignment to reset your hip. Have you tried that?

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

thought I posted.  Hmmm just so damn much going on with work!

I did 4.1 with 3 or so of it a Tempo

Marjorie