Beginners and Beyond

What drives you. . (Read 144 times)

Zelanie

Dark.  Especially dark and stormy.  Am I really the only one?  DH and DD get all up in arms when I want to head outside when it's dark out, especially after two women got attacked in an area very close to where I sometimes run.

Right now, injury.  The TM is a soft, flat surface, so I'm trying to do at least most of my runs on it for the time being.

And then there is the speedwork, if I want to dial in a specific incline, for example, or to a lesser extent pace.  But pace I can do outside with a Garmin or at the track.

sheepla

Only thunder/lightning and flooding would bring me inside, stopping the run.  I don't have access to a TM so if the run is a no outside, it's a no-go.

Agreed. Don't really have flooding issues but thunder and lightning scares me. Plus, I generally run with my dog and she's terrified of thunderstorms and quite pitiful if I take her running and she hears thunder.

sheepla

Dark.  Especially dark and stormy.  Am I really the only one?  DH and DD get all up in arms when I want to head outside when it's dark out, especially after two women got attacked in an area very close to where I sometimes run.

I had to laugh at this.  Other than races, I pretty much run exclusively in the dark.

I highly recommend a German Shepherd running partner to alleviate your DH and DD concerns on this subject.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Me too.  Actually, I hate the sun for running.  Must come with the territory of it being a ball of fire that drains you of all energy.

I had to laugh at this.  Other than races, I pretty much run exclusively in the dark.

I highly recommend a German Shepherd running partner to alleviate your DH and DD concerns on this subject.

Damaris

You Rang?

Most of my treadmill miles have been hotel treadmills, and it is usually on arrival day in a strange, unfamiliar city.  I really don't want to wander too far from the hotel.  I don't want to get lost (again like I did in San Antonio).  The hotel treadmill lets me get the miles in.

Lately child care responsibilities have chained me to a tread mill.  My wife is now working as an auditor at movie theaters where she was paid to watch the first 15 minutes of Fast and Furious 6 twenty-six times on opening weekend.  I don't want to wander too far from home since I'm in charge of the kid, so off to the treadmill I go.

And finally, I'm training for a half marathon with a specific goal time.  The tempo and speed work workouts have proscribed paces.  It's just plain easier to dial in a pace and hang on for dear life.

Rick

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Antipodean

Normally nothing, but today I did 8.8 miles on a treadmill as my long run, only my second time ever to run on one. The first time was as Rick (above)  mentioned - I was in China, it was hot, muggy & polluted outside and as well as not wanting to get lost I was over being stared at. I did 5k on the treadmill and I was the only one in the hotel gym. I had two attendants to wait on me, bringing me towels and water at will. Joking

This morning it was the cold, wind and rain (midwinter here), not to mention my 10 year old DD, that drove me inside to the treadmill. Maybe also this thread had brought the possibility to mind. At the pool where my DD has lessons, they have a gym where I can use a treadmill while my DD swims in the pool. While she wasn't completely happy about swimming without any friends, she did it for me! A good idea I didn't leave my run until afternoon when my DH got home as he worked 2 hours overtime and I would have probably ended up missing it as we have plans for an early dinner.

The gym is a small, pokey one, and the neighbourhood it's in is a relatively poor one with a lot of migrants, so it has a real community feel. I discovered after 20 minutes that all the machines are programmed to run for only 20 minutes. And no, the attendant assured me, it was not able to be changed. So I did almost 9 miles in approximately 4 lots of 20 minutes, which meant I could have a swig of water and towel off in between each session. I would normally run this without water outside but it was really hot.

Afterwards, I decided that using a treadmill there would be a good solution to problems I have fitting in runs, especially long runs, in my build up to my first half in late September. Being winter here, with a high rainfall, it will gvie me more flexibility. I also actually enjoyed the mental discipline of it - different to running outside, but not boring for me - yet. I could see my DD out in the pool and could give her the thumbs up to her water acrobatics! Win, win.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Mmmmm...beer

+1 for lightning, that's the only thing that has stopped me so far.  Rain, snow, heat, I'm fine with those.  I'll just adjust my run for the conditions.  I definitely prefer running outside, but have no problem with a TM if it's necessary or more convenient (usually when I'm at a hotel and don't know the area, or out on a ship).

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

happylily

It's weird... I have run up to 3.5 hours on a TM on many occasions, up to 24 miles. In a stinky garage. With no TV. No problem at all. But this week, I bought a stationary bike. 60 minutes on it is all that my brain can take. I want to break things when I get off of the bike. I am bored to tears on it. Now I understand why people hate TM running so much...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

It's weird... I have run up to 3.5 hours on a TM on many occasions, up to 24 miles. In a stinky garage. With no TV. No problem at all. But this week, I bought a stationary bike. 60 minutes on it is all that my brain can take. I want to break things when I get off of the bike. I am bored to tears on it. Now I understand why people hate TM running so much...

Yeah, it's kind of like that for me!    I am not that dedicated, so I skip a workout or do something else if I can't run outside.   My TM workouts are just so lame because I am ridiculously undisciplined to actually make it all the way through what I intend to do.

The heat has been a killer lately. I don't get enough rain to hide from those storms.

Home treadmill isnt fun, but works in a pinch. The gym TM is better, but I feel bad sweating everywhere.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas