Beginners and Beyond

Newb intro and training question (Read 116 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hello! Love live the BLT!

I was born and raised in Fresno, then fell in love with a tech/geek and moved to San Jose. Funny I'm just getting around to noticing the gorgeous weather now that I'm away from the couch and out of my cubicle Cool

Are you in SoCal or just a night owl?

Yes, I am in SoCal and looking to get out. There are about six people from CA,that I know of, that frequent here.

MrNamtor

Great advice here from people smarter about running than i am.

All I'd  add is that in my view the most important aspect of getting into shape for anything is consistency. Don't get into the pattern of taking days off because you don't feel like working out and then going extra hard because of guilt or to make up for lost time. Be consistent and establish a habit.

Amazonian Princess

Love, love, LOVING the welcomes!

In explaining my feelings about running to my family of non-runners, I've compared it to dating. For the first few months I said that I like running but I don't know if I'll stick with it. I flirted with Zumba and boot camp but all I talked about was running. I bought running magazines and studied running language but wouldn't commit to a race. I visited running stores and learned the bittersweet pleasure of foam rolling but would wait until dark before going out. I had great workouts then nearly broke up when I plateaued in C25k. After that bump we grew closer. Graduating C25k was like having The Talk. Now, joining this forum is like meeting running's family and liking them! Might be Garmin shopping soon...

I can. I will. I am. 

Zelanie

Hehe, I get it.  I can talk and read running a lot more than my actual running ability would imply. Wink

Still, if you think about it in terms of the time I spend doing it (when not having knee issues, ugh!) and the amount of enjoyment I get out of it, then it makes sense.

MrNamtor

Hehe, I get it.  I can talk and read running a lot more than my actual running ability would imply. Wink

Still, if you think about it in terms of the time I spend doing it (when not having knee issues, ugh!) and the amount of enjoyment I get out of it, then it makes sense.

You have knee issues? My right knee has been giving me problems for the past 6 weeks.

Zelanie

You have knee issues? My right knee has been giving me problems for the past 6 weeks.

That's right, I forget you're not really a dailies guy.  I haven't been able to run without pain since my half last month.  Just got a diagnosis of patellar tendonitis today, and I start PT next week.  What's up with your knee?

MrNamtor

Anyway to the OP i suggested establishing a habit and you already have a habit. If you run more days a week though the strength of your habit will increase. Running is the kind of thing that you need to do a lot of to get good at. Not like weight lifting or something like that. At one point i lifted heavy heavy weight 2 3 times a week and i got strong as hell. Running doesn't work that way though.

MrNamtor

That's right, I forget you're not really a dailies guy.  I haven't been able to run without pain since my half last month.  Just got a diagnosis of patellar tendonitis today, and I start PT next week.  What's up with your knee?

oh so sorry to hear that. Well I'm sure and i hope you will recover quickly with PT and rest.

I don't know what's wrong with my knee. Just that I have pain around the knee cap the day after a hard workout and also the kneecap is inflamed so that i cant kneel on that knee without pain.

EDIT: I just googled patellar tendonitis and this might be what i have too, or at least the pre condition of it.

Baconista- I have only been at this running stuff for 13 months, but I totally agree with Namtor. Make running a habit. Once you committ to doing something, do it. Make it fun and enjoyable so that you wont ditch workouts. I dont think I ditched a single workout in the first 11 months. I missed one durring spring break and then I started missing more than I should have.

Have fun, make it a lifestyle change. it really is awesome Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

happylily

I remember being a young teenager and being told in school that daily exercising was as important as brushing one's teeth a minimum of twice a day. Exercising has been part of my daily life since the age of 14. I was on my stationary bike 60 mins the days before I gave birth, and I was exercising again immediately after leaving the hospital. I exercised the day I was told I was losing my job and I exercised the day I found a new job. I exercise when on vacation and I exercised when I was awaiting heart surgery. I would never forget to brush my teeth, even if I'm out in the wild and I have to use leaves and water, or whatever... Same for exercising. It doesn't have to be running, it can be a lot of other things. And it's not even about weight, or looking a certain way, for me. It's about wanting to live in a healthy manner.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

I remember being a young teenager and being told in school that daily exercising was as important as brushing one's teeth a minimum of twice a day. Exercising has been part of my daily life since the age of 14. I was on my stationary bike 60 mins the days before I gave birth, and I was exercising again immediately after leaving the hospital. I exercised the day I was told I was losing my job and I exercised the day I found a new job. I exercise when on vacation and I exercised when I was awaiting heart surgery. I would never forget to brush my teeth, even if I'm out in the wild and I have to use leaves and water, or whatever... Same for exercising. It doesn't have to be running, it can be a lot of other things. And it's not even about weight, or looking a certain way, for me. It's about wanting to live in a healthy manner.

i can top you lilly- i run before i brush my teeth Smile

this is good stuff.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Amazonian Princess

Thank you for the advice and perspective, I really do hope to make running a habit and to continue exercising for life. A year ago I thought my days of being fit were over so I didn't even try, and today I can't imagine going back to the twelve hour days in my cubicle then holding down the couch every night. I'm very lucky to receive such wonderful support and I'm grateful that it's not too late.

Who knew runners would be so nice? Wink

I can. I will. I am. 

SheCan

Welcome!   Sounds like you're doing pretty darned good so far!  There's lots of smart, helpful runners in here,  that can help with most things that come up.  Thankfully, however, running is pretty simple, and the main thing is, is to just get out there and do it, and get that routine established.  BTW, anybody who has bacon in their name is not only delicious, but also a friend of mine!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson