Beginners and Beyond

Newb intro and training question (Read 116 times)

Amazonian Princess

Hello,

I was so impressed with the "Before and After" thread that I figured it was time to stop lurking and jump in, even though I'm still just a "during". I'm 42, a former fencer and occasional archer, and one Saturday last August I woke up and decided that I wanted to try running. I did nearly everything wrong that day (crap gear and hideous form) but it hooked me anyway. In October I started C25k and graduated in March. It took me months because I'm a big, slow gal and would repeat each run until I felt confident or I'd just do my own variation of run/walk so I could relax and enjoy how I was feeling. I recently started a C210k program because I want to keep improving and moving toward my 2 very modest goals:

1. Run a 5k without stopping at a Race for the Cure in October (I completed the program at 30 minutes nonstop running but it's short of 5k; currently I can do about 4 miles with 3 or 4 one-minute walk breaks)

2. Run the fastest mile I can at the annual Kona Coffee Festival in November (I'll be visiting Hawai'i for the festival and it sounds like fun, heaven help me)

So I know weight loss will help stamina and speed, and I'm on it, but am I on the right track with building up to 60 minutes of running? Or should I repeat C25k and focus on speed? At this point I'm running 2-3 times a week (in addition to working with a personal trainer, walking with a group from work, and a little cycling) and have months to prep but I would appreciate some good advice. I work well with a plan, even if I ignore it sometimes{#RAEmoticonsDlg.bigGrin}

I can. I will. I am. 

Love the Half

The general advice you hear is to focus just on building your endurance.  I think that's bad advice.  There is no reason why newer runners can't work on speed almost from the day they start running.  Moreover, I think doing so is important for three reasons.  First, I think it helps to prevent injury because it strengthens your muscles.  Second, it adds variety to your running.  Beyond making you faster, variety aids in injury prevention as well because you're not using the exact same muscles in the exact same manner every time you run.  Finally, it's fun.  I'd get bored to tears if I just tried to go out and jog at the same level of effort every day.

Of course, you can't ignore your aerobic development and there is no substitute for putting in the miles.  Moreover, the vast majority of those miles - 75-80% for experienced runners and 90-95% for newer runners - should be done at an easy pace rather than the fast running I just mentioned.  One of the things I noticed in your post is that you only run 2-3 times per week.  It will be very difficult to get much faster on that level of running.  The reality is that running is no different than any other sport in that if you want to get better at that sport, you have to do that sport.  Cycling, fencing, swimming, etc are all great aerobic activities and if what you want is to focus on general fitness, they're terrific but they don't do much to make you a better runner.  To be a better runner, you have to run.  Thus, I would suggest moving to 4 days per week immediately and then to 5 days a week after a couple of months at 4 days a week.

As for speed work, here are some things you can try now and you don't have to go to a track or worry about paces.

1.  Strides - Start these when you have about a mile left in your run.  Over a period of maybe 100 yards, gradually accelerate from a jog to about 90% of all out and then gradually decelerate back to a jog.  The fastest running in the stride shouldn't last more than about 40-50 yards.  Start with 3-4 and work your way up to 6-8.  These work on form and build muscular strength.

2.  Fast Finish - On a couple of runs each week, start picking it up when you have half a mile or so left in your run.  Keep gradually picking up the pace until the last 200 yards is quite uncomfortable.  These teach you to increase the effort even when you are fatigued.

3.  Tempo Run - If you can run 4 miles, you can try this.  Run the first mile easy as a warm up.  Then, pick up the pace to the point where you are running hard but not all out.  Run like that for the next 2 miles.  Run the last mile as a cool down.  Once you work your way up to 5 miles, increase the faster portion to 3 miles.

Hang in there and stick with it.  And don't be a lurker.  Smile

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Pinktastic

Baconista - I am relatively new myself so I really don't have much, but I did want to say hi!  And, welcome!!  Thanks for not lurking anymore!  The best thing I did for my running was stop lurking and start talking to these wonderful people.   My only advice would be to run more often - add a 4th day to your routine.   Any chance that some of the people you're already walking with would want to run for at least part of the time that you're walking?   That might be an easy way to add the extra running time.....

Keep up the great work that you've started!!   You can do it!!  

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Mostly harmless

Not much to add but I just wanted to say welcome.

LTH offered some good advice but if you aren't ready to jump into the deep end of the pool yet my 2 cents is:

• Transition from 2-3 days of weekly running to 3-4.
          • Keep doing what your doing but add some speed work in just to keep it interesting.
          • Keep working  with the personal trainer. Having strength in your core and upper body will help you to be a better runner.
          • Don't forget to have fun. Smile

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Not much to add but I just wanted to say welcome.

LTH offered some good advice but if you aren't ready to jump into the deep end of the pool yet my 2 cents is:

• Transition from 2-3 days of weekly running to 3-4.
            • Keep doing what your doing but add some speed work in just to keep it interesting.
            • Keep working  with the personal trainer. Having strength in your core and upper body will help you to be a better runner.
            • Don't forget to have fun. Smile

the fun thing will come. workout will can always be hard, but they are alot more fun after a while. My top two goals each month are dont get hurt and have fun. To me this is better than hitting 160 miles or getting in 10 quality workouts. If it sucks you wont do it.

Welcome and there are some good folks here with great advice and good stories. I hope you stick around.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

robinde

LTH and Scott give great advice.  I wish someone was there to tell me those things when I started in March of 2012.  I went on the "just run more at an easy pace" plan.  I was able to build my miles to a pretty good base, but my pace never really improved that much.  At least, I don't think it did.  You can work on both at the same time.  Adding more days to you week will help too.  Welcome and keep at it.

Zelanie

Welcome!  It sounds like you're getting a similar start to what I did.  When I finished C25K, I was running for 30 minutes, but not 3 miles.  So I gradually increased my time running, but kept my pace the same.   By doing that, I increased my endurance and naturally got faster over time.  I kept running at a pace that felt "easy", but over time that got faster.  I think getting up to an hour running is a great next goal for you.  Good luck!

LRB

You are on the right path, interacting and talking running will help with that.

Welcome to the group!

Dad on the run.

Hi! Welcome to the looney bin.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

GinnyinPA

Welcome to the forum.  There are a lot of good people here, who are more than willing to help you improve and cheer your successes and occasional failures.

Moving to an hour of running will help you get to the distance you want. Either c210k, or Bridge to 10k or the One Hour Runner are options.  Running every other day will get you running 3 days one week, 4 days the next.  If you can do that fairly easily, then just run 4 days every week.  When that is easy, go to 5 days.  Increasing your mileage will help both your speed and endurance.  Many years ago I remember being told, 2 days a week is bare maintenance.  3 days a week will see slight improvement.  4+ days a week will see significant improvement.  Cross training is good for developing other muscles and general fitness, and will help you lose weight, if that is part of your goal.  It should reduce the chance of injury.  It can also be a lot of fun.  You're more likely to stick to a fitness program if you're not bored.  It won't really make you a faster runner, just a fitter one.

Amazonian Princess

Thank you for the warm welcome and great advice! My trainer canceled tonight's session so I unleashed my inner Chubbles and tried playing with speed - didn't last nearly as long as I thought I would, but it felt kind of great and actually made me laugh out loud!

I can commit to running three times a week but adding a fourth with take some figuring, maybe switching from the after work walking group to the running group is a good start or hitting the treadmill in the company fitness room. I'm concerned that it won't be maintainable until I drop more weight but I'll only find out if I try.

And apologies for the late night post; I'm in California and end of day is when I get to unwind with the iPad...

I can. I will. I am. 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Welcome, Baconista. I had a BLT just the other day. Where in CA are you?

Amazonian Princess

Welcome, Baconista. I had a BLT just the other day. Where in CA are you?

Hello! Love live the BLT!

I was born and raised in Fresno, then fell in love with a tech/geek and moved to San Jose. Funny I'm just getting around to noticing the gorgeous weather now that I'm away from the couch and out of my cubicle Cool

Are you in SoCal or just a night owl?

I can. I will. I am. 

Mmmmm...beer

Welcome to the forum!  Lots of good advice already, so I don't know that I have anything to add, but I will throw in another vote for increasing your frequency.  Oh, and the fun part too, very important. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Don't call me Buttercup!

Welcome!   I, too, am a slower runner, but I love to run fast, even if I can't do it for very long.  Every now and again, I'll do a "speed session" on the Treadmill where I alternate between slower running (or even walking) and bouts of faster running.  It's not structured, it's just for fun, and it keeps things interesting.    I've also been working on endurance, but I do think that it all kind of goes hand in hand.

I don't really have any advice, just wanted to say hi. =)

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to!