Beginners and Beyond

Woman accidently wins marathon (Read 124 times)

gernblanston

I see you just created a new account. Just another troll...

How perceptive.

Not L&O. I post here but I like Brad and wanted to hide my identity on this one. He has posted about this 5K win before and I think its disingenuous to not tell the whole story. The race was made up mostly of children. Not something I would be boasting about time and again.

Go ahead and hate me.

happylily

Brad taught me that it's just the internet, not worth losing sleep over it. And those 10-12 year old kids can be damn fast. They're a pain to all of us. I'm glad he beat them all.Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

How perceptive.

Not L&O. I post here but I like Brad and wanted to hide my identity on this one. He has posted about this 5K win before and I think its disingenuous to not tell the whole story. The race was made up mostly of children. Not something I would be boasting about time and again.

Go ahead and hate me.

How brave of you.

90 minutes and it'll be friday.  You're trolling a little early.

RSX

I just don't think that it is all that terrible. (maybe I should hide my identity?) I volunteer at a race that has 2 distances. Every year some people mess up and run the distance that they didn't sign up for. The RD adjusts for it all. I'm sure this happens in bigger races like BayState which has a half and full here in MA but they haven't placed as far as I know.

Hip Redux

The thing is the RD could have said "No, it wouldn't count".   Since she at least had the sense to ask about the screw up - I can't really place any blame on her.  Makes for a crazy ass story either way.   Why can't I accidently win anything? lol

Love the Half

The thing is the RD could have said "No, it wouldn't count".   Since she at least had the sense to ask about the screw up - I can't really place any blame on her.  Makes for a crazy ass story either way.   Why can't I accidently win anything? lol

I don't blame her.  Hell, she's just out there running.  Now, I don't for a second believe that she'd get anywhere remotely past Mile 14 without realizing something was wrong.  Any runner with any experience at all is keenly aware of where they are in terms of miles.  It's more than a bit disingenuous to suggest that she was 15 or 16 miles along before she realized something was amiss.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Baboon

delicate flower

My takeaway from this is that the winner of the marathon raced with headphones.  SEE, IT WORKS!

Edit:  Oops, I see this article doesn't mention that.  But another article I read said she was zoned out listening to her music and missed the turn for the half.  Big grin

<3

happylily

I don't blame her.  Hell, she's just out there running.  Now, I don't for a second believe that she'd get anywhere remotely past Mile 14 without realizing something was wrong.  Any runner with any experience at all is keenly aware of where they are in terms of miles.  It's more than a bit disingenuous to suggest that she was 15 or 16 miles along before she realized something was amiss.

Does it say in the article that she was past mile 13 when she realized what had happened? I remember the fork being at around mile 7 or 8... She would have been first female, already ahead of whoever would have finished first female in the marathon otherwise...

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Every race I've ran so far that had 2 distances had signs leading up to the fork, and then 3 or 4 signs at the fork AND a bunch of volunteers letting you know which way to go and they would  yell at the ones going the wrong way because they could tell by a color on the bib. Either that was a horribly done race course, or she really didn't pay any attention whatsoever, or though what the hell, I'll go for the full and then made up the story that she missed the turn around point............. eh, oh well.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

I stole a post from RWBF which I think explains well what happened:

She did realize pretty quickly.  When she realized she'd screwed up her half, she decided to turn it into a long run.  When a race director pulled up alongside on a bike, in a "doesn't hurt to ask" moment she asked if she could officially be in the full.  He said okay so she went for it.

It's not an elite type race.  She won in 3:11. She ran the whole race, paid an entry fee and had a bib and insurance and all that.  So the bib was the wrong color and she paid somewhat less.  It's a fluke.  Good for the race director to go with the flow instead of being officious about it.  It's a nice story.

happylily

Also, apparently, she ran the second half in 16 minutes slower. So it's not like it was a scam and she was planning to run the full in the first place...

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I've been in a small race where I knew I could place.  I identified my competition, and when I had a comfortable lead on the guy in 3rd and knew I couldn't catch the leader I eased up a bit.  Now, if you told me someone that paid a lesser entry took a wrong turn and they weren't supposed to be in my race and I didn't know they were competition because their bib said otherwise...well, I would trash that race director.  She ran well.  Kudos to her, but the race director was wrong and I would like the story more if she gave her medal to the rightful winner.  I don't think the fact that it was a small event makes it any better.

I stole a post from RWBF which I think explains well what happened:

She did realize pretty quickly.  When she realized she'd screwed up her half, she decided to turn it into a long run.  When a race director pulled up alongside on a bike, in a "doesn't hurt to ask" moment she asked if she could officially be in the full.  He said okay so she went for it.

It's not an elite type race.  She won in 3:11. She ran the whole race, paid an entry fee and had a bib and insurance and all that.  So the bib was the wrong color and she paid somewhat less.  It's a fluke.  Good for the race director to go with the flow instead of being officious about it.  It's a nice story.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

happylily

Yes, I get what you say. But I think she was always in the first female position, right from the start. So the second female to finish the marathon was always aware that there was another woman ahead of her on the marathon course. It's not like it was a surprise to her... She had ample opportunity to pass her if she had been able to. She knew that they were competing together for first place and she knew it early in the race too...

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

If a woman in a hm bib is ahead of you and running a pace 16 minutes faster than she ran the second half, how do you know she didn't turn at mile seven and got clearance to compete with you?

Yes, I get what you say. But I think she was always in the first female position, right from the start. So the second female to finish the marathon was always aware that there was another woman ahead of her on the marathon course. It's not like it was a surprise to her... She had ample opportunity to pass her if she had been able to. She knew that they were competing together for first place and she knew it early in the race too...

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

RSX

This was a small race. Unless the half marathon folks lined up in a different area the 2nd woman may not have even known she was a contender. Would she have been checking bib colors before the turn?