Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES: Slower than slow (Read 39 times)

Cyberic

LM, get gn Apple Watch 3. Has a digital SIM card card that syncs with your iPhone, so you have the same phone number on your watch. No need to carry the phone, there's a cell chip in the watch. If you don't already own an iPhone, it does does make the bill a little steeper 

LRB

And the stupid chafing thing, it's just my lower back where I carry my phone.  I've tried lubing it up with all sorts of products (I've tried Body Glide, Aquaphor, Blue Steel) but they aren't cutting it. 

Aquaphor blows. I still have the small tube I bought 5 or 6 years ago. It's awful. That experiment led me back to the tried and true, which has me curious; was petroleum jelly just an omission on your part, or have you seriously not ever used it for chafing??

LM, get gn Apple Watch 3. Has a digital SIM card card that syncs with your iPhone, so you have the same phone number on your watch. No need to carry the phone, there's a cell chip in the watch. If you don't already own an iPhone, it does does make the bill a little steeper 

My friend, some of us have not drunk (drank?) the iKoolaid.  That watch will sync with exactly zero of the things I own, and I have no plans to defect from my PC Android Google world of awesome.  But I do appreciate the thought!

LRB, no PJ because it completely wrecks my clothes.  That shit will not come out, it leaves horrible stains.

I totally agree that Aquaphor has no place as a chafing deterrent (tried once on vacation because I forgot the Blue Steel), but it's great for healing the damage I do every Sunday.  By Thursday, you almost can't tell I had open sores, lol.  It also prevents scarring, which I've got from the days before I knew about it.  I use it on my face though, gloves + snot rockets = effed up nose area without some sort of preventative measure.

My problem is the amount I sweat is simply beyond what any product is designed to withstand.  Anything over 2 hours, and I've sweated off every balmy thing I applied pre-run, my clothes are soaked and dripping, and I'm not sure there's much that can be done for that.  Whiskers, this is why I've never considered carrying a Camelback or similar, I don't think I could deal with the chafing that I'd inevitably get from it, plus I think it would make me run even hotter.  And I know lots of people think they sweat a lot, but seriously, we're talking several pounds per run of lost fluid.  The 20 miler I lost about 9 pounds, despite drinking a few times during.  A normal easy 7 I lose about 2.5 pounds.  It's not normal.  I know there are people out there who share this particular drama, but it's seriously way past what is generally considered "sweaty."  This is next level.  It's not like I need to go to the hospital or anything, I've been like this forever, but it creates some logistical problems with chafing.

Cyberic

My friend, some of us have not drunk (drank?) the iKoolaid.  That watch will sync with exactly zero of the things I own, and I have no plans to defect from my PC Android Google world of awesome.  But I do appreciate the thought!

LRB, no PJ because it completely wrecks my clothes.  That shit will not come out, it leaves horrible stains.

I totally agree that Aquaphor has no place as a chafing deterrent (tried once on vacation because I forgot the Blue Steel), but it's great for healing the damage I do every Sunday.  By Thursday, you almost can't tell I had open sores, lol.  It also prevents scarring, which I've got from the days before I knew about it.  I use it on my face though, gloves + snot rockets = effed up nose area without some sort of preventative measure.

My problem is the amount I sweat is simply beyond what any product is designed to withstand.  Anything over 2 hours, and I've sweated off every balmy thing I applied pre-run, my clothes are soaked and dripping, and I'm not sure there's much that can be done for that.  Whiskers, this is why I've never considered carrying a Camelback or similar, I don't think I could deal with the chafing that I'd inevitably get from it, plus I think it would make me run even hotter.  And I know lots of people think they sweat a lot, but seriously, we're talking several pounds per run of lost fluid.  The 20 miler I lost about 9 pounds, despite drinking a few times during.  A normal easy 7 I lose about 2.5 pounds.  It's not normal.  I know there are people out there who share this particular drama, but it's seriously way past what is generally considered "sweaty."  This is next level.  It's not like I need to go to the hospital or anything, I've been like this forever, but it creates some logistical problems with chafing.

NP about about the iKoolAid. I'm a PC, Android, Garmin guy myself. I was saying, just in case.

About sweat, geez, I'm lucky I really don't sweat much. Of course I sweat, but it's less than most people. I I think people who sweat more might be more effective at cooling themselves, sweat sweat being a natural temperature control mechanism.

GC100k

Aquaphor blows. I still have the small tube I bought 5 or 6 years ago. It's awful. That experiment led me back to the tried and true, which has me curious; was petroleum jelly just an omission on your part, or have you seriously not ever used it for chafing??

I use Right Guard Xtreme Sport Gel for chafing. It's never failed me. It's a tip I picked up from ScottyDog 20 years ago. I've tried Bodyglide and a few other similar ones and they work okay, but the Right Guard gel leaves a dry, frictionless surface that seems to last forever and I like better than the greasier stuff. Except the Right Guard kinda dries out my toes and I might get RunGoo or something like that just for toes.

I use Right Guard Xtreme Sport Gel for chafing. It's never failed me. It's a tip I picked up from ScottyDog 20 years ago. I've tried Bodyglide and a few other similar ones and they work okay, but the Right Guard gel leaves a dry, frictionless surface that seems to last forever and I like better than the greasier stuff. Except the Right Guard kinda dries out my toes and I might get RunGoo or something like that just for toes.

Dude, this is something I have not tried.  I'm writing this on a post it and getting some at the store on my way home.  It's the lasting part that I'm looking for.  Since this is totally different from the silicone based stuff, it just might be what works for me.  Fingers crossed, I'm definitely going to try it!!!   I'm not worried about my toes, they do fine.  My body is sweaty, but my feet really aren't.  Makes total sense, right? 

GC100k

Dude, this is something I have not tried.  I'm writing this on a post it and getting some at the store on my way home.  It's the lasting part that I'm looking for.  Since this is totally different from the silicone based stuff, it just might be what works for me.  Fingers crossed, I'm definitely going to try it!!!   I'm not worried about my toes, they do fine.  My body is sweaty, but my feet really aren't.  Makes total sense, right? 

Ya, it's a different approach. You may or may not like it. Remember it's the gel, not the solid.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Went out for dinner with DH at a rotating sushi buffet. Ate way too much. Then did a spin workout afterwards and upper body strength training.

LRB

NP about about the iKoolAid. I'm a PC, Android, Garmin guy myself. I was saying, just in case.

About sweat, geez, I'm lucky I really don't sweat much. Of course I sweat, but it's less than most people. I I think people who sweat more might be more effective at cooling themselves, sweat sweat being a natural temperature control mechanism.

That's not the case in my case. I sweat because I'm on fire.

I ran 7 Sunday in a single long sleeve top in 36 degrees and windy and was drenched at the end. It's an impediment for me.

I'm also a PC, 'Droid and Garmin guy, which puts you in horrible company. lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I hope he doesn't start smiling now

LOL.

6 TM miles done.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I think I would get injured too. I have a hard time recovering after interval sessions as opposed to LRs and longer tempo workouts.

D - That’s awesome!!! So glad to hear. So what do they think is going on?

It's the stomatitis, which is not cured and it's chronic.  We might have to remove the rest of his teeth eventually, but for now, so long as he keeps eating we will try more steroids.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I've tried lots of bras and haven't found the magical one yet, but the search is ongoing.  In the meantime, band-aids are my best friends for runs longer than about 8 miles.

I haven't heard of Bag Balm, I'll have to check that out!

The best ones for me and no chafing are a specific Lulu bra (that they just took out) and the INB Bras.  The lulu bra is amazing.  No chafing with marathons (and I chafe a lot normally).

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I ran 7 Sunday in a single long sleeve top in 36 degrees and windy and was drenched at the end. It's an impediment for me.

THis.  Plus down here, I never dry the sweat from Mile 0.01, so it just accumulates and sweats more.

Damaris

KCRuns

Y’all are hating on my aquaphor. Guess I need to buy Bag Balm, Blue Steel and Right Guard to see what I’ve been missing out on. But LM is right about aquaphor for healing and keeping scars away.

Cyberic

Not sure about the sweat more, better cooling system theory. I think I read that in Tim Noakes' Lore of Running, but not 100% sure. I'm still glad I don't sweat so much.

I would chafe in Damaris country. When my clothes get real wet, and I run long, I chafe.