Beginners and Beyond

Running in Costa Rica (Read 70 times)

GinnyinPA

I enjoy running on vacation.  I love exploring new places and running brand new routes.  Since we almost always camp, vacation means a lot of trail running in parks.

but probably the drunks with cash and gold would be easier targets than the runners.

There are drunks rolling around with cash and gold? This vacation could easily pay for itself!

onemile

There are drunks rolling around with cash and gold? This vacation could easily pay for itself!

What if I carry gold in my bra while I run?  Will I be safe?

bluerun

Super B****

Can you go diving for me?

Have a great trip!  (And I think I will save this post for future reference since I will eventually make it there myself...)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

onemile

Update:  So I ended up running 5 times.

Twice on the hotel treadmill (There was a Gold's Gym attached to the Radisson in San Jose.  It was dreadfully hot and the treadmill had a 20 minute limit and would actually start slowing down after 18 minutes.  But I just restarted it and no one kicked me off).

Then I ran twice in Arenal - it was very hilly, hot and humid, and the road had no shoulder. I kept having to hop off when there was traffic from both directions and inhaling the car fumes was great.

I ran once in Quepos from my hotel down to the beach.  This was extremely hilly - one hill was so long and steep that I had to stop for several breathers on my way up.  And going down made my legs like jello.

I could have run more (I almost went for a run on the hilly gravel road in Monteverde) but 1) my legs were sore from the hills plus our other hiking activity and 2) I was in Costa Rica and didn't want to skip out on seeing / doing stuff and be a slave to running.  Since I probably won't be back.

But overall, it was a great trip and I saw so many amazing things. Went kayaking twice, Zip lining in the cloud forest (so fun), hiking in the rainforest, boat rides, walked along the beach, and hiking by the volcano in Arenal.  And we saw sloths, 4 different kinds of monkeys, crocodiles, caimans, lizards, snakes, poison dart frogs, toucans, macaws and a ton of other kinds of birds.

happylily

Now you're ready to run with me the very sticky and humid Reggae marathon in Jamaica, or the very hot and hilly Bermuda marathon. Why do it the easy way when it can be done the hard and painful way?

Your pictures are extremely beautiful. I'm glad you had a great time. And I'm glad you're back.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Thanks for the sharing the photos.  It's beautiful.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Cyberic

Nice pics. Cool that you had a nice vacation.

happylily

How was your Spanish, btw? Did you find that people could communicate with you in English?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

tracilynn

Wow great pics!  Welcome home 

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Sounds like a fantastic trip!  Glad you had a good time.  It's funny- one of the members of our running club just went to Costa Rica.  She raced her son up from the beach in Manuel Antonio on one of the first days, and was so sore that she didn't run again while she was there!

Did you do the ziplining with the tarzan jump?  I thought the ziplining was scary, but loved the jump.  Incredible!  Those photos are fantastic!  So much detail.  How did you like Zarcero?

onemile

How was your Spanish, btw? Did you find that people could communicate with you in English?

My Spanish is not good. I took 2 years of it in high school but remember very little. Thankfully the Costa Ricans were much better with their English. Smile

And I only do easy races. Cool and flat.  Because I am a wimp.

onemile

Sounds like a fantastic trip!  Glad you had a good time.  It's funny- one of the members of our running club just went to Costa Rica.  She raced her son up from the beach in Manuel Antonio on one of the first days, and was so sore that she didn't run again while she was there!

Did you do the ziplining with the tarzan jump?  I thought the ziplining was scary, but loved the jump.  Incredible!  Those photos are fantastic!  So much detail.  How did you like Zarcero?

Ha yes - that was the route I did - down to the beach at Manuel Antonio and then back up.  My legs were pretty sore the next day and I had time to run again but didn't want to because it was so so hard!

Yes, it was the ziplining with the tarzan jump at Selvetura but I chickened out on doing the jump.   I had been ziplining before but this was much faster and the lines were longer and they moved us through so quickly, it was a little scary! But that's what made it so fun.  You'd finish one line and they would hook you right up to the next before you had time to catch your breath and say Vamanos! Sit down and go! And you were like....uhm, wow, okay!  

Zarcero was beautiful - we only stopped briefly there but I enjoyed it.

LRB

Welcome back yo.

Such clarity in those pics! I am not a fan of hot places but it looks inviting, plus I would love to try my hand at zip-lining so who knows...

Since I am a lover of all things yummy, I must ask was there anything tasty and delicious that stands out from your trip?

Zelanie

Ha yes - that was the route I did - down to the beach at Manuel Antonio and then back up.  My legs were pretty sore the next day and I had time to run again but didn't want to because it was so so hard!

Yes, it was the ziplining with the tarzan jump at Selvetura but I chickened out on doing the jump.   I had been ziplining before but this was much faster and the lines were longer and they moved us through so quickly, it was a little scary! But that's what made it so fun.  You'd finish one line and they would hook you right up to the next before you had time to catch your breath and say Vamanos! Sit down and go! And you were like....uhm, wow, okay!  

Zarcero was beautiful - we only stopped briefly there but I enjoyed it.

I found the ziplining terrifying, but the jump was what made it all worth it.  You step off and have that horrible feeling like "Oh no, I've really done it this time" because you're in freefall, then all of a sudden the line catches you on the other side and the feeling is GREAT!  I'm usually pretty quiet, but I hollered. What a rush.  But on the ziplines I just kept feeling like I was going to lose control and go into a spin or something at any moment.  The ones where you are not needing to hold on were much better.

I don't think there's that much to do in Zarcero other than a quick stop, but it was very cool!