Beginners and Beyond

Iron Man rockz Monday Penguins.. (Read 42 times)

Dad on the run.

Ginny - did I say Trail? I meant trial. Or, his practice run would have been a less confusing term Smile And yes, I am going to pace him for that race. He wants to run 32-33 then I will make sure it happens Wink

Hog - That's intense, probably going to be walking that one. Also, are you running the Talladega half?

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

SheCan

She Can: are you going to sign up for the Tucson marathon? I am still considering it but I need to get a handle on the kids' sports schedules.

I haven't yet, but am seriously considering it.  Plus it'd give me a chance to meet you and your wife if y'all do it also.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

run in the forest preserve, that sounds scenic, Jerry.

Good luck with all the (yuk) yardwork Margo.  I have to mow my lawn after work.  Not looking forward to it.  Maybe I can get a flock of sheep and they can eat all the grass, keep it cropped short all the time...

Congrats on your half 2FBoy!

Jimmy, you sure do stay busy!  Good luck with upping the weekly mileage. I need to do that too.  I want to get up to doing 20 miles a week regularly.

Jeez, Tomas, you did the half on Sunday and then went right back to work today?  YOU are Ironman, lol.  I would've taken the day off today, between the half, travel, etc.  Bet you will sleep well tonite!

Hope the weather behaves for your walk, HsM,and good luck with your knee!  Mowing is not fun!  Unless I had a riding mower, yeah....but probably would be overkill for my tiny yard, lol.

SO42, sorry about the cancelled race!   I have no doubt, though, you will get sub-30 in the future.

How much distance do you think you put in mowing?  lol, Vance.  Not much at all, probably, since I have  a 'subdivision' home, and the yard is not all that big. Takes me about an hour to do the front and back yard.  I'd really like to cement the whole darn thing, lol.  I really just hate yard-work of any kind, so it wouldn't matter if the yard was only a thin strip, I'd still hate it, lol.  Soon as I get a couple more bills paid off, I'm gonna get one of those 'services' to do my yard.  Then I'll be free again, free, free, FREEE, bwaaaahaahaaahaaaaaha! Big grin   Congrats on getting your hills done...even if it was in daredevil fashion. Wink

Well, I responded to you in the Dailies, Jack, about this, so I won't 'wimp' at you again, lol.   Good luck with your upcoming 10K!

Mitch, 74 last year.  If I stay on course this year, probably will end up with 75 to 76 for the year.  However...there is no close event for May 18 - May 19th!  I might - GASP!!!!  - not do a race for that whole weekend!  The horrors, the horrors!  Shocked   My old wrinkled body would probably appreciate it, though, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jeez, Tomas, you did the half on Sunday and then went right back to work today?  YOU are Ironman, lol.  I would've taken the day off today, between the half, travel, etc.  Bet you will sleep well tonite!

I did a full not a half. That's what adds to. The stupidity of my race weekend Smile

Scotty you would have been pleased with the legs on my new friends.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I love being out in the backcountry, though around here, it's hard to be really alone.    I think it would be scary too, Ginny.  There are some real crazies out there at times and, unfortunately, their primary targets seem to be lone women.  It's sad to me that a lone lady runner can't just go out and do her thing and enjoy her run without having to worry about the possibility of  some guy who's about 15 slices of bread short in the brain of making a full loaf coming along and bothering her.   Stay safe out there!

Coralie, don't just strengthen your quads, you should also work your hamstrings, and your adductors and abductors. The back and sides of your legs, all those supporting muscles that interconnect, should all be strong to help keep those thighs from getting sore. So make sure to work all the parts.   For your abductors and easy workout at home is just get  a small workout ball, put it between your knees/thighs, just above the knee and squeeze..hold for a few seconds, release, repeat.  For the adductors, have your DH put his hands on the outside of your knees and then you push against his hands, while he gives resistance against your knees.  Push for a few seconds...release...repeat.    Or you could just go to the gym and use the adductor/abductor machine, lol.  But the above comes in handy (no pun intended) when you can't get to the gym.    Good luck with your upcoming race!

Congrats on the 10 miles, SheCan.  Yeah, the weather is nice now, and we will be getting some rain the end of this week.  But come June...let the 100 degree days begin!  Shocked

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I did a full not a half. That's what adds to. The stupidity of my race weekend Smile

Scotty you would have been pleased with the legs on my new friends.

A FULL?  You really are nuts!  Especially with those hills along The Pig course, sheesh!  Hope you have lots of ice at work today for your legs, lol.

Off to read  all the race reports!   Back in a while.  Have a great day Penguins!

hog4life

Scotty, I'm with ya on the yard work, I hate it too!

Jimmy, there is a half here in Hartselle that is part of the Depot Days festival on the 21st. I plan to run this one, but will consider Talledaga also, it will depend on the funds.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - I'm with you on the mowing.  We tried hard to find a house that was in the woods, so we wouldn't have to mow, but the ones we found were either too rustic (e.g. dilapidated) or too remote.  I didn't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere in the winter.  My husband hates townhouses/apartments, which was the alternative.  Trouble with lawn, besides the effect on our allergies, is that it ties us down so much in the summer.  We can't afford to hire someone to take care of it for us, so we have to be around at least once every ten days to cut it.  Makes it hard to do the kind of travel we'd gotten used to before we settled down again.

I had a lovely four mile run today.  Cool and gray skies, on roads that were still damp from a light shower.  I wanted to keep it easy, so I found a loop that has only one big hill and the rest mostly flat or downhill.  Sweet.

Jimmy - my first half is in September too.  It's earlier than yours, so heat may be an issue, and it's quite hilly, so that will be the focus of my training over the next four months.  I'm currently running 25-30 mpw and don't really plan a big increase from here - maybe 35-40 with a longest run of 14-15.

Fitfatboy - good luck on your mission trip.  My husband and stepson have both been to Haiti on mission trips and have some interesting stories to tell about the experience.  It is a very different world.

Mitch - that's a heck of a hill! Yikes.

sirdizzy

Do I get any extra ironman awards today haha I tried to go see ironman 3 with my ironman medal on yesterday to see if I could score a popcorn or something wife wouldn't go for it though.

Sloooow.

Coralie, don't just strengthen your quads, you should also work your hamstrings, and your adductors and abductors. The back and sides of your legs, all those supporting muscles that interconnect, should all be strong to help keep those thighs from getting sore. So make sure to work all the parts.   For your abductors and easy workout at home is just get  a small workout ball, put it between your knees/thighs, just above the knee and squeeze..hold for a few seconds, release, repeat.  For the adductors, have your DH put his hands on the outside of your knees and then you push against his hands, while he gives resistance against your knees.  Push for a few seconds...release...repeat.    Or you could just go to the gym and use the adductor/abductor machine, lol.  But the above comes in handy (no pun intended) when you can't get to the gym.    Good luck with your upcoming race!

Thanks so much for the tips! I'm sure DH will be happy to help. I'm sorest in my outer thigh (Vastus lateralis according to Wiki) I'm sure more outdoor running would help too, I just don't always have the time.