Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILIES are out the door (Read 47 times)

Cyberic

No. It's completely flat. But am I mistaken in thinking that hill work will make my legs stronger? I haven't done any hills in the last 8 months and I have this nagging feeling that my legs are lacking strength when I try to do my 5k intervals. Do you think that hill work could help me with that in the long run? I'm desperate.  The last time I did hills regularly, twice a week, was when I trained for Boston, 2 years ago, and it was my PR marathon. Coincidence?

I have started running Mt.Royal once in a while to try to make me stronger too, so I won't argue with your reasoning. I once read that running hills is speed training in disguise. Since it's halloween season, I'm all for that!

I dunno if what I do qualifies as hill work, but my halloween joke isn't bad, right? 

Even though there were no men on, the BOMB of a home run that Jose Bautista just hit should really count as two runs.

Why do you pitch to Joey Bats FFS.

Dave

happylily

I have started running Mt.Royal once in a while to try to make me stronger too, so I won't argue with your reasoning. I once read that running hills is speed training in disguise. Since it's halloween season, I'm all for that!

I dunno if what I do qualifies as hill work, but my halloween joke isn't bad, right? 

I don't know if it's funny ha ha, but it's clever. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

onemile

I ran 9.  It was pretty tough to convince myself to go outside in the dark and rain after working from 7:30am-7:30pm today. 

onemile

No. It's completely flat. But am I mistaken in thinking that hill work will make my legs stronger? I haven't done any hills in the last 8 months and I have this nagging feeling that my legs are lacking strength when I try to do my 5k intervals. Do you think that hill work could help me with that in the long run? I'm desperate.  The last time I did hills regularly, twice a week, was when I trained for Boston, 2 years ago, and it was my PR marathon. Coincidence?

That's my understanding - that hill workouts are good for leg strength.

happylily

I ran 9.  It was pretty tough to convince myself to go outside in the dark and rain after working from 7:30am-7:30pm today. 

You're way tougher than I am. No way I would have done it. Especially outside in the cold and dark.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

workinprogress11

Amy, when and where is your HM? If you mentioned it I must have missed it. I know that you have been running consistently lately and I'm so happy for you! Are you health problems all behind you now?

The health issues are stable at the moment which is good.  Thanks for asking.

Im running the Naperville Half Marathon. There is also a marathon. It's a fairly new marathon, only in its third year. It's grown leaps and bounds, though. It's near Chicago.  Maybe next year I can do the full.

onemile

You're way tougher than I am. No way I would have done it. Especially outside in the cold and dark.

You do a ton of runs that I don't think I would be tough enough to do.  Including all those mid-week 15 milers and 20+ long rungs.

Besides, it wasn't really cold. And once I got going it wasn't even miserable;.