Beginners and Beyond

Work Release FriDAILIES (Read 41 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Fuckit, it is somewhere.  Let's do it!

Another RD.  Spent far too much time on google last night, and ended up in tears.  What I came away with is if I've got a stress fx (which looks like a very distinct possibility) any running will make it worse and keep it from healing, so it's a cold turkey situation.  If it's the OP, which I still think is the forerunner, any running will make it worse and keep it from healing, so cold turkey.  Stress fx looks like a 16 week time sink, OP looks like 3.5 months, which is basically the same.  Either way, I'm not running another step until I know what it is.  We're counting these weeks starting yesterday.

Got an appointment for Monday at 10 for films and exam, if it's OP, they'll also do the PRP injection.  If it's a stress fx, then I'll continue to beat myself up mentally for not taking calcium, not drinking enough milk, not getting enough iron, and all the other shit that I have probably done to create this situation.

I'm going to have to learn to swim   Last time I had to take time off I attempted to replicate my training volume by substituting my hours of running with equivalent hours of spin.  I ended up with saddle sores 7 days into this poorly thought out plan.  Now I know I have to alternate with something else, and I don't know of any other non-weight bearing activity.  Just now Imma drink the triathlon kool aid.  It was only a matter of time 

Bert, I read your race report last night, and it. was. amazing.  I did not skip or skim, it was hilarious and a really fun read.  Super happy for your results and the saving of the season.  You're the best half-asser I know Wink

Hoping for the best!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I was also able to switch to neutral shoes immediately.  But I was a light pronator.

So, the low on Sunday is 45F and therefore I signed up for a HM on Sunday. And my coach wants me to go for it.  Sigh.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

4 miles on the treadmill. Now waiting for the damn snow to start falling. Went from maybe some snow showers to 2-5 inches. Or more.

LM, hope you can get answers on Monday. The saddle sores sound awful and worse than whatever the injury was.

Onemile, I like the key chain AG award.

Hog, my theory on shoes is if they feel comfortable, wear them and ignore the label.

LRB, I think I gained 5 lbs reading your meals for the day.

GinnyinPA

I started out with stability shoes (Adrenalines) but switched fairly early to neutrals. I had fewer injuries with the neutral shoes, but I don't pronate much.

Runshortii

Do you live in Chicago?

It's one of my favorites and I sign up for to keep me running through the holidays and winter with no excuses.  But it's a good time and they do a great after party at one of our neighborhood bars.  2 years ago was mid-20s & sunny and was pretty much perfect running weather.  Last year fulfilled the f*cking freezing frozen namesake and I was amazed to see runners out there in shorts and tanks!  Not me though, I was dressed appropriately for the weather!   I also signed up for the Polar Dash 10k on Jan 6.  I haven't done it before, but most people I've talked to enjoy that one, too (they also have 5k & HM options).

I live in WI, about 5 minutes north of the IL border. My mom grew up on the south side so I’ve spent a lot of time in the city. I like the late start to the race too because I could take the train down if I wanted

Had a vendor here at the Expo selling shoes for $20, then later on for $10! I bought 2 pairs for $30. The only catch is they are Neutral, and I usually wear Stability. I have worn a neutral before to about 450 miles without issue, so hopefully I’ll get some use out of them.

Any thoughts on wearing both?

I used to wear only support shoes. I think I'm a pretty mild pronator. I started wearing neutrals relatively recently, and have not had a problem. I was a bit nervous & cautious at the start, but turns out I like the neutrals more, and I put more miles on them. But still rotate with support shoes. My theory (based on nothing) is that it may actually be better to rotate shoes that work a little differently. Sort of like alternating between road & trail, hills & flats, etc. (which I don't actually do). Anyway it's been fine.

Dave

LRB

Just giving you a hard time LRB.  Yeah, I like gear 3 getting back into the swing of things, and as some easier faster aerobic work in a progression run, or on an easy LR weekend when you want a little "more", but want to keep it aerobic. 10-15 from MP getting back into it is usually around current MP too. So your not that odd.

I like the progression run because you're not putting any pressure on yourself to hit X pace and are taking only what your body is giving you. Beware of unexpected fatigue in the days that follow one though. Those last few miles take a lot out of you. It's weird.

LRB

I switched to neutral shoes pretty much all at once.  Well my speedwork shoes were already neutral. But I went from running 5 easy runs a week in stability shoes to neutral every day without any transition period and surprisingly had no problem.  After wearing stability shoes for 8 years.

But I don't know that neutral shoes are better. So you don't have to Wah.

Not necessarily better, but nearly all the popular models are neutral shoes, so there are more to choose from. When you go to the stability section, you can hear crickets. lol

Cyberic

Not necessarily better, but nearly all the popular models are neutral shoes, so there are more to choose from. When you go to the stability section, you can hear crickets. lol

First time I went to the LRS to buy shoes, the guy asked me what type of shoes I wanted, and I said: the type that I won't get injured with. He said that he'd start me with neutral shoes, Asics Cumulus, and I never tried anything else than neutral. Maybe I'd be better off with stability, but maybe I'll never know as I do not want to risk buying anything else than neutral

GinnyinPA

Cy - you can tell from the wear on your shoes whether you need more support. Look at the bottom of an old pair of shoes. Is the wear in the middle or on either side?

bluerun

Super B****

Did it take longer, or less time?  Nothing specific happened, just gradually started feeling a weird twinge last week in the front of my pelvic bone every time my foot strikes, it's gotten worse and worse.  I took Tuesday off, it felt better by Wednesday morning, but then worse than before after I ran Wednesday.  It's starting to be painful when not running, and I can tell I'm compensating when I run (trying to eliminate impact).  I actually wasn't suspecting a sfx until someone here suggested it, some of the symptoms line up, but I still think it's pretty unlikely.  My pain is exactly mid-line radiating out bilaterally, and I can stand on either foot just fine, no pain.  But seems wise to get confirmation with films.  There's a chance it could be in inguinal ligament strain.  If that's what's going on, I would be more inclined to just tone down the intensity and keep running through it.

Definitely less.  But it initially hurt so badly that I couldn't even put on a pair of pants without sitting down.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

Cy - you can tell from the wear on your shoes whether you need more support. Look at the bottom of an old pair of shoes. Is the wear in the middle or on either side?

The wear on my soles is definitely on the outsides, like under the base of the small toes.