Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies - Finally a break in the Heat! (Read 33 times)

sdWhiskers

One mile, if it's not a goal race, I'd go with the most convenient option.  To me, that looks like I Love WI.

I agree. I like flat and close and RPs. A short course is annoying but this isn't a goal race, just checking where you are, right? So it gets the job done.

onemile

I am more worried about the 7pm race time. It will probably be hotter in the early evening than in the morning (at least it is down here).

So, I would say the August 31st since it's in your backyard might be good especially if paced by your RPs.

7pm might be less humid but probably warmer yes.

onemile I think I'd be leaning toward either of the 8/31 races. The 9/7 race sounds ideal except for the long drive; depends on what you want in a race environment and what local competition is like - I don't like paying to basically run a time trial unless the race is REALLY right in my backyard. Certified vs. not bothers me less for shorter races/non-goal races but still a consideration when trying to decide between a few.

In any of the local small races I'll probably be in the top 1/2 females but there should be some guys around me at least.  None of these are REALLY in my back yard. The closest one (I love WI) is 20 minute drive)

One mile, if it's not a goal race, I'd go with the most convenient option.  To me, that looks like I Love WI.

Yes, that would be most convenient and no, it's not a goal race. My coach just said she wants me to do one. I assume as a fitness test

Sept 14, Al's Run 8k.  That one would be the clear winner for me, except for the one week before your goal HM.

The one in Chicago is rough with a 90 min drive + 7:30 start... but I would consider it. 7:30 start, the heat has less chance of being a big factor. Of course it could, though.

Tough call. I personnally want my race's courses to be very well measured and timed, so all the uncertified courses I wouldn't do. When I pay for a race, my result better count.

Agree with all of this.

Personally I’d go with one of these. For a 10k, I look for convenience and PR potential, not necessarily excitement. I think the Chicago one would be coolest race environment, but I imagine more challenging logistics.

If I was trying to PR I would be pissed if the course is short though. Which is potential for most of these.  Chicago is definitely coolest above all but definitely a PITA in a lot of regards (getting up early, finding parking, long drive)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Sept 1, Buffalo Grove Stampede 10k: This is about an hour's drive. Certified course (although it looks like they are changing the 10k for this year). 2 loops (yuck). Smaller race. Looks pretty flat. 7:30am start.

Not sure what you have against a 2 loop course, but this looks like the best choice. 7:30 am will be cooler, course is flat, and it's certified.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

Okay B&B.

What do you say?

Where absolute PRs are concerned, I'd go with the flattest, most convenient option. That comes with the caveat that I would like to avoid having to wake up at stupid o'clock to race at velocity if at all possible.

Lake Country 10k. I think that evening running is more conducive to race ready legs without having to work extra hard to attain and maintain race pace. For that reason, I see a big fat ass juicy PR burger in that event. 🍔

LRB

Not sure what you have against a 2 loop course, but this looks like the best choice. 7:30 am will be cooler, course is flat, and it's certified.

Oh gawd, mentally it's sooooo hard for me to race a 10k that has a loop course. I find myself spending way too much energy trying to talk myself out of dropping out after one loop that I rarely have anything left to race the second loop. lol

But you're right, 6.2 miles is 6.2 miles. Except sometimes there's mental baggage that has to be accounted for.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

When we have pizza at work, my female coworkers eat like one small slice and then salad. Meanwhile I'm over here shoving it in my pie hole with the guy that mountain bikes 100s miles each week.

I knew we were related...

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oh gawd, mentally it's sooooo hard for me to race a 10k that has a loop course. I find myself spending way too much energy trying to talk myself out of dropping out after one loop that I rarely have anything left to race the second loop. lol

But you're right, 6.2 miles is 6.2 miles. Except sometimes there's mental baggage that has to be accounted for.

Me too, yet my 10K PR was a two loop course.  Ironic that I considered dropping at the 5K point because I was struggling, then the last 5K felt super easy, so glad I didn't.

Passing the finish line was fucking hard.

Damaris

onemile

yeah that's my thought with the loop thing.  Actually have never done a 2 loop 10k before.  well, one time I attempted it but I felt awful and way off pace from the second mile so I just ended up calling it at 5k 

onemile

Where absolute PRs are concerned, I'd go with the flattest, most convenient option. That comes with the caveat that I would like to avoid having to wake up at stupid o'clock to race at velocity if at all possible.

Lake Country 10k. I think that evening running is more conducive to race ready legs without having to work extra hard to attain and maintain race pace. For that reason, I see a big fat ass juicy PR burger in that event. 🍔

I have run an evening race a few times and that feeling better in the evening thing never seemed to materialize. Even though I fully expected to.  I don't know

Half Crazy K 2.0

My 5k this weekend was 2.5 ish loops around the lake. Cranking the AC in my car every time I passed it seemed like a great idea. It also breaks it up differently--ok, one more loop to go, you could see the finish area for a good chunk of the race.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have run an evening race a few times and that feeling better in the evening thing never seemed to materialize. Even though I fully expected to.  I don't know

I run in the evenings and the three evening races I have raced didn't go as well as my runs do.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

If I'm doing a loop, it better be on trails or at the very least 3 miles each loop. I think the Peace, Run & Harmony half marathon this past May was a "looped" course, or at least we ran the same route twice. Other than a 1 mile out and back, it was ran through the small "village" of Harmony, IN.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

DavePNW

my 10K PR was a two loop course. 

+1. Also my 3rd best time (same course). If you’re going to have a good day, you’re going to have a good day.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

I've done an evening 5k a few times. It's tough trying to time when to eat that day. It's a summer race, so usually hot and humid.

DavePNW

I immediately eliminated the evening option. Maybe it would be OK, but 99.5% of my runs (and 100.0% of races) are in the morning, so I think I’d be totally off kilter.

Dave