Beginners and Beyond

Still Winter Tuesdailies (Read 23 times)

sdWhiskers

Maybe a month ago, I was slowly gaining on a guy up ahead, who is alternating walking/running on the sidewalk. Of course I get close and go on the road to pass while he's walking on the sidewalk. He sees me, starts running fast and comes out on the road right next to me. He starts trying to chat while I'm running faster and faster, like 5k pace to get past the situation. I feel like such an unfriendly monster but no, give me my space. Also COVID.

Thankfully, I don't have too many of these moments. When I used to run at dark o'clock every morning, I had multiple times where a guy on a bike would circle past me a few times. My heart starts racing just thinking about it.

Cyberic

Interesting. Again, I will pass as a clueless guy, but it has happened to me to exchange a few words with a guy, or a girl, to exchange a few words as I gage their pace, and most often than not, I just go on ahead, as if I have caught up with the person in the first place, I'm probably running faster.

I do not do this often, in fact pretty much never, as I have to feel in a chatty mood, and have to feel like the other person wants to chat. But it happened in a 50K race once. I hooked up with a girl who actually became a regular RP for about a year. I was coming out of a refueling station (forget the name) , and she was jogging slowly, waiting for someone else. So I caught up to her, looked at her when I ran past, she looked at me with a big smile, we chatted a bit, and sure enough I was faster and I took off.

But I never thought that women might feel threatened by me, being a man.

Thank you for reminding me.

DavePNW

i no longer fly, haven’t flown since 2002

Because you don’t go anywhere far, or you don’t like to fly?

Dave

Because you don’t go anywhere far, or you don’t like to fly?

I used to fly a lot for work but started developing fear of flying in the 1990s; then 1995 I couldn’t get on a plane in Wisconsin and took bus and trains back to d.c.   I did therapy, chill pills, SSRIs,  and continued to fly for work...then new job in 2003 I didn’t have to fly... not going back.

trains 😎

DavePNW

It seems unusual to develop a fear of flying after doing a ton of it. But maybe that’s typical. It happened to Brian Wilson and John Madden. I imagine you could name others.

Dave

It seems unusual to develop a fear of flying after doing a ton of it. But maybe that’s typical. It happened to Brian Wilson and John Madden. I imagine you could name others.

Fear of flying can very very weird... once flew out and back to Seattle and was perfectly fine about those flights but the whole time I was on the Seattle flights i was stressing about my next flight which was to LA. and didn’t make the LA flight.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Those men have a phrase for getting passed by a woman. They call it "getting chicked" and their macho outlook is against it. I think that attitude is plain stupid.

Why is vaccination now a political position?

Ran 10½ including 3 x 2 miles slightly faster than HM pace with 800m recoveries.  30 degrees and cloudy with a bitter wind.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

onemile

I ran 12 with 4x2k, and 2x1k

DavePNW

I ran 12 with 4x2k, and 2x1k

What kind of pace?

Dave

Cyberic

Nice workouts Onemile and Fred!

onemile

What kind of pace?

I averaged 6:43 for the 2ks (2min recovery) and 6:25 for the 1ks (1 min recovery). I am sure this is too slow but it's what I had today.

DavePNW

I averaged 6:43 for the 2ks (2min recovery) and 6:25 for the 1ks (1 min recovery). I am sure this is too slow but it's what I had today.

That sounds pretty good to me. I have some kind of workout TBD tomorrow, but I assure you it won’t be nearly that intense.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

The Bears' Super Bowl odds for next year were 40-1.  Today they signed Andy Dalton, and their odds are now 50-1.  lol

<3

onemile

That sounds pretty good to me. I have some kind of workout TBD tomorrow, but I assure you it won’t be nearly that intense.

ideally I want to get down to what I was running for these pre-houston and I am a good 20-25 secs too slow right now

DavePNW

The Bears' Super Bowl odds for next year were 40-1.  Today they signed Andy Dalton, and their odds are now 50-1.  lol

They were trying to get Russell Wilson, and with that not happening I understand they’d have to settle for something less...but that’s a LOT less.

Dave