Beginners and Beyond

SaturDAILIES; There's a first time for everything (Read 33 times)

DavePNW

Dave:  One mile can be part of settling the butterflies and the start of your warm up.  I did the shuttle bus and the walk after wasn't bad.  Didn't hardly notice it.  They could have changed the drop off point though, that was five years ago.  I can't imagine a mile walk would be much different.

Didn't know you ran it. Supposedly the buses drop off about 2 blocks from the start. Which is less than a mile. 

Dave

Coastal

You're doing Eugene, right?  I did it the year of the Boston Bombing.  Got a BQ.  It's a good course for that.  I've fought injuries ever since.

onemile

That would be me, jogging in shorts in 2018. It is mind boggling, really.

Now it's time for some yummy peanut butter pancakes...which will not be the first time for that.

Really?  I've worn shorts at least a half dozen times including yesterday

onemile

Next weekend. Start is a 1 mile walk from the hotel. Maybe I'm being a big wuss, but it's a bit longer than I'd want to walk before one of these things. There are shuttle buses but the nearest stop is 0.6 miles (in the opposite direction). Wondering if it's worth the bother vs. just walking the whole thing. Although I will be with the family so maybe I can get DW to drop me off somewhere closer to the start (depending on where they will let cars go). I am probably overthinking this.

I have done that before. I think it's fine.  The walk afterwards will suck

KCRuns

Are you tapering for your marathon or training through it?

Tomorrow is my last long run, 22 miles.  I am running the Nashville half next weekend and then will do a 2 week taper.

KCRuns

Next weekend. Start is a 1 mile walk from the hotel. Maybe I'm being a big wuss, but it's a bit longer than I'd want to walk before one of these things. There are shuttle buses but the nearest stop is 0.6 miles (in the opposite direction). Wondering if it's worth the bother vs. just walking the whole thing. Although I will be with the family so maybe I can get DW to drop me off somewhere closer to the start (depending on where they will let cars go). I am probably overthinking this.

I live 1 mile from most of my race start lines, including the Chicago Marathon. I always walk it slow and call it an easy warm up to get blood moving. I’ve never thought it too long, but I hate walking home afterwards.

DavePNW

The walk afterwards will suck

Ha, no. Family will be there. They are all even less likely to want to walk a mile under any circumstances, than I would after a marathon. Either there will be a car, or we'll take a shuttle. Post-race shuttles are open to both runners & spectators.

I agree the post-race walks suck, but at least you've got the feeling of being done, and not in a hurry. Which is good because they're always very, very slow. I've done plenty of pre & post marathon walks, but never really measured the distance.

Dave

DavePNW

You're doing Eugene, right?  I did it the year of the Boston Bombing.  Got a BQ.  It's a good course for that.  

That was an initial attraction for me; I was going to shoot for BQ there last year, but was dealing with some injuries so ended up running Newport in June instead. I am currently not in any kind of shape, I plan to just go with whatever I've got (as if I could do anything else). The finish in Hayward Field should still be cool (assuming I, you know, finish). Just yesterday I stopped at the LRS to pick up some socks, and talked to the guy there who's also running it (and has before). He mentioned that this is the last year doing that (for a while), since it will be undergoing a major renovation.

Dave

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Little of 8 miles today - really gorgeous running weather here in Ohio too...makes such a difference in the enjoyment factor!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Really?  I've worn shorts at least a half dozen times including yesterday

That’s because Baboon wears tights when I would wear shorts.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats, Jay!

Ran 1.93 at OTF and it was Run/Row which always makes me run less than normal. Finishing 5 on the TM now.

Damaris

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Ran five today. Started off kind of slow, but felt good enough at the end to throw in seven strides.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

Baboon

delicate flower

Then I bought me a NY strip steak for dinner, on sale for $12.99/lb ($8 off!).  Looking forward to that tonight!

That was GOOD!  Got a triple chocolate cupcake to eat once that steak settles in a bit.

<3

sdWhiskers

3.5 miles, shakeout + strides. HM tomorrow morning! I'm glad it starts at 7am since it was around 80 degrees today. No real goals just want a solid hard effort. Goal HM is first weekend of June.

Half Crazy K 2.0

4 miles. Still feeling sluggish.