Beginners and Beyond

NRR: Was I being a jerk? (Read 115 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Moving one seat is one thing, but four?   You did the right thing.

+1

I can think of many different situations when I would move. This one doesn't come close to meeting any of those criteria.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

I can think of many different situations when I would move...

This is me, for example if they were my elders, a family with young children, or a group of ladies and asked politely, of course I would move.  I was just raised that way.

My seats of choice though are always the end two seats regardless of the row, so I can come and go as I please.  Save for the examples above, the chances of me giving those up are between zero and nil, and nil just walked out the door.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I much prefer as close to the end as possible, I have a weak bladder and hate having to cross in front of people.

This is me, for example if they were my elders, a family with young children, or a group of ladies and asked politely, of course I would move.  I was just raised that way.

My seats of choice though are always the end two seats regardless of the row, so I can come and go as I please.  Save for the examples above, the chances of me giving those up are between zero and nil, and nil just walked out the door.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

I much prefer as close to the end as possible, I have a weak bladder and hate having to cross in front of people.

Is your bladder weak or is it you? 

Baboon

delicate flower

The family of 6 or 7 needs to get their asses to the movies earlier than when the lights go down if they except to sit together, especially on an opening weekend.  I think that guy is the jerk for just assuming someone will part the way for him and his inconsiderate family.  I would not have moved, but I also wouldn't have had to say anything because my wife would have told the guy to piss off (well, not those exact words).

<3

happylily

The family of 6 or 7 needs to get their asses to the movies earlier than when the lights go down if they except to sit together, especially on an opening weekend.  I think that guy is the jerk for just assuming someone will part the way for him and his inconsiderate family.  I would not have moved, but I also wouldn't have had to say anything because my wife would have told the guy to piss off (well, not those exact words).

That's not what you said she'd have said the first time, before you edited. So, which one is it, really? 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

That's not what you said she'd have said the first time, before you edited. So, which one is it, really? 

You do not miss much do you?

happylily

You do not miss much do you?

Nope. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I was semi-expecting a gunfight a la a few months ago over the cell phone in a theatre.

If the accommodation is reasonable, why not.  The world is full of dicks so no sense adding to the pile.

You people have issues 

DavePNW

Well there's no question you had every right to not move, and the family clearly exercised poor planning & had no business expecting it.

However what I would do in the situation might just depend on how nicely they asked, because I really don't think moving would be too big a deal.

Moving one seat is one thing, but four?   You did the right thing.

This is the part I don't get. Why is moving 4 seats such an onerous proposition?? Did it put you into obstructed view seats behind an iron girder? It's not like you had to move to the front row where you have to be looking straight up for 2 hours. It was essentially the same view.

Dave

workinprogress11

We must be twins.  I'm an aisle sitter in almost any situation where there is an aisle so I can get up and wander around when I get bored, stiff legs, tired of sitting next to the person next to me, etc....

For the OP, I guess it kind of depends.  If moving 4 seats gave me a really crappy view of the screen, I probably wouldn't have moved but if it's a huge theatre and 4 seats didn't make that much difference, I would have moved.  Of course if I was in a bad mood that day, my answer might change.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It could be that I drink way too much.

Is your bladder weak or is it you? 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Baboon

delicate flower

It could be that I drink way too much.

Would you like the swimming pool size for just 25 cents more?

<3

LRB

I'm an aisle sitter in almost any situation where there is an aisle so I can get up and wander around when I get bored, stiff legs, tired of sitting next to the person next to me, etc...

Especially on a plane.  One of the things that changed post 9/11 is that you are no longer allowed to stand on them anymore.  Back in the good old days though, on flights to Vegas I would sometimes stand for 10 to 20 minutes and BS around here and there to break up the monotony and as you said the boredom of the stupid thing.  Of course coming home you had no strength to stand so that was not an issue!

Speaking of that, it would take a lot for me to give up my aisle seat on a plane.  Like an upgrade to first class and free flights to anywhere in the continental US for life.  lol

hog4life

SO42, my wife would have been embarrassed just like your wife was. I would have done the exact same thing Under the given circumstances. In a different situation, people, tone, etc., I probably would move.