Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES and kicking (Read 31 times)

DavePNW

That after 10:00 shit Boston pulls though is borderline criminal. 

Especially some years. 

Dave

DavePNW

7am

You probably won't even hit 65 by the finish, so not too bad. Although I turn into a pumpkin in any marathons >60.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

6 with 4 x 800. They sucked.

Bluerun, congrats on the PR last night!

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

It doesn't always translate from runner to runner and it's not easy to run slower than you want to or what comes natural to you. Easy running is and always will be what is easy for the individual on a given day during a given period. I wouldn't change anything.

completely agree - sometimes, trying to run especially slow makes me more tired. Maybe it helps physically, but mentally it's almost harder than running fast!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

completely agree - sometimes, trying to run especially slow makes me more tired. Maybe it helps physically, but mentally it's almost harder than running fast!

That’s actually beneficial. Running slower than your mind wants is an exercise unto itself that will help

later to pace better.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I remember that. I find that a bit too late and was in the high 60s when I finished even if 35 when we started. Maybe I should get faster.

I wholeheartedly agree, all races should start at 5 or 6 am.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

GinnyinPA

13 with 8 at MP. The heat and humidity made it very hard.

Wolvmar - have you tried some of the different kinds of Superfeet? I know they're expensive but if the Spencos don't work you might try the orange or pink superfeet. I can't wear the green - they're too hard - but the pink were more comfortable when I used them for hiking, while still providing support.

Cyberic

That’s actually beneficial. Running slower than your mind wants is an exercise unto itself that will help

later to pace better.

I don't see the correlation. Pacing yourself is about knowing yourself enough that you know what you're able to do, both by pace and by feel. I don't think the pace that I run my easy runs at will help me pace myself better. When I blew up in races, I knew exactly what I was doing. I was not surprised by how fast I was running. It was not because I lacked the mental strength to slow myself down. It was because I thought I could hold that pace.

DavePNW

When I blew up in races, I knew exactly what I was doing. I was not surprised by how fast I was running. It was not because I lacked the mental strength to slow myself down. It was because I thought I could hold that pace.

Yep.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I think Meb said something similar in his book, or was it Deena's. I'll check at some point but all my books are packed because I'M MOVING, yay. 

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Deena Kastor will be speaking at IMM 🙂

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Deena Kastor will be speaking at IMM 🙂

I KNOW. Big grin  Unfortunately, she is speaking on Friday, I think, and I'll be at work.  But I think the expo is in downtown near my office...

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I KNOW. Big grin  Unfortunately, she is speaking on Friday, I think, and I'll be at work.  But I think the expo is in downtown near my office...

Yeah, we'll be getting there Friday afternoon, our hotel check in is at 3 PM so unfortunately I doubt I'll make it there, she is speaking at 2:30 and I probably won't make it to the expo until later in the afternoon/evening.

PRs