Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race Number 40 Beards vs Beans Longest Day 5K 10K (Read 8 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Below is yet another of my photo reports.

Link to photos only:

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252040%2520Longest%2520Day%25205K%252010K?sort=2

Before My Start

My 40th race of 2019 was the Beards vs Beans Longest Day 5K held on June 22 at Comanche Park in San Antonio, TX.  This event raised funds for the Altzheimer's Association Two brothers put this one on, as well as a couple of other events during the year, as a friendly sibling rivalry whoraise money for the cause.  One likes beans, the other does not, so whomever raises the most funds, the other one has to either eat a plate of beans or shave off his beard.  This was considered a 'fun run' 5K, so if I remember correctly, there were no age group awards, but all finishers got medals.  Race start time of 7:30 a.m.   When I got to the part about 45 minutes before start time, it was already in the mid-70s but we did have some cloud cover, and it had rained in the early a.m. hours so made it feel a tad cooler.  Already had picked up my race packet the day before, so wandered around getting some pre-start photos.

With my friend Stephanie, who volunteered today.  In a race a couple of years ago she was my half-marathon relay partner for the San Antonio Rock n Roll Half Marathon

photo IMG_0485_zpsfsnx3nc8.jpg

With friend Woody who did the 10K today

photo IMG_0486_zpsopqmyrwb.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, etc

photo IMG_0480_zpsbwj7zdgn.jpg

photo IMG_0481_zpsehaqbmaz.jpg

photo IMG_0482_zpsq4emfxiw.jpg

photo IMG_0483_zpszrhqikns.jpg

photo IMG_0489_zpsbgezxchv.jpg

photo IMG_0490_zps8eheply9.jpg

photo IMG_0491_zpsmnn0onup.jpg

photo IMG_0492_zpshtalr1td.jpg

photo IMG_0493_zpsowbexysj.jpg

photo IMG_0495_zpsplnsaijc.jpg

photo IMG_0496_zpssx3tkau3.jpg

photo IMG_0497_zps9bom7ty7.jpg

photo IMG_0498_zpsmgfrk9i6.jpg

photo IMG_0499_zpskaduphb7.jpg

photo IMG_0500_zpsvcba6dul.jpg

photo IMG_0501_zpsckjyqvox.jpg

On The Course

the 10K and 5K started at the same time.  Unfortunately, most of we 5K participants turned the same way the 10K folks had.  After the race we found out we 5K folks were supposed to have made a right turn to go down a different trail than the 10K folks did...so we kept going and going, wondering where our turn-round point was . I've done this course at past races so when we passed what I knew was the usual 5K turn-round I knew something was not right here, especially as there was no water-stop on the course, no volunteer, and no marks or signs telling us this was the turn-round point. .  Finally the 10K-bike-lead guy came toward us and told  all us 5K folks to turn round and head back, we had gone way too far.  So we did.  However, this put us as a pack right ahead of some of the 10K folks coming back so the speedier ones ended up coming right against what  was now the 5K pack of runners.  Well, we all managed to get back to the finish, and I ended up with 3.3 miles instead of 3.1, so not bad.  Some of the front-runner 5K folks - like my friend Bernadette - went even longer since they were out ahead of the rest of us, I think she ended up with 4 miles and change.  Found out from friends that some of them actually had gone onto the correct 5K course and on that one there was a water stop and a volunteer at the half-way turn-round. And also found out the 10K course had actually been short, per some of my friends who did that one.

photo IMG_0502_zpshzlvb1ed.jpg

photo IMG_0503_zpslu8jtvha.jpg

photo IMG_0504_zpsno4nt655.jpg

photo IMG_0505_zpszjmbwyee.jpg

photo IMG_0506_zpsg8grrmoc.jpg

photo IMG_0508_zpsrprwypnq.jpg

At the back of this photo for a 'normal" 5K done on this trail, that open space is usually the turn-round point for a 5K. 

photo IMG_0509_zpssvc0r2nv.jpg

We've gone a bit far....my garmin had 1.7 at about this point....."Somethin dunt feel right here, Lucy..."

photo IMG_0510_zpsfgut4mva.jpg

photo IMG_0511_zpssrsjmg9r.jpg

photo IMG_0512_zpsjuqiwemz.jpg

After one of the bike pacers got us turned round, here we are heading back toward the finish area.  Some of the speedier folks that were out there were 10K participants.

photo IMG_0513_zpsn4csutxt.jpg

photo IMG_0514_zpszuismei9.jpg

photo IMG_0515_zpsq9fdwscc.jpg

photo IMG_0516_zpsmbb6okvv.jpg

photo IMG_0517_zpsqtz12tja.jpg

photo IMG_0518_zpsvdoknjsn.jpg

Crossing over the bridge...this creek is usually pretty dry, but when it rains it fills right up for a few days

photo IMG_0519_zpsjkvuqk3t.jpg

photo IMG_0520_zpswlvcjd6f.jpg

After My Finish

Pretty humid, so first some nice cold water and a bit of a cool-down walk.  Then walked around getting some after photos and enjoying the post-run goodies that included cold beer, water, various other types of drinks, grilled sausage-on-a-stick, fresh fruits, and various other stuff.

This guy was right at the finish line area, entertaining participants as they came in

photo IMG_0521_zpspn9kg2rm.jpg

Super Heroes handing out the finisher medals.

photo IMG_0522_zps6hbaidd6.jpg

Superheroes and some dorky sidekick

photo IMG_0523_zpsdwnp2une.jpg

Happy finishers, supporters, volunteers, etc

photo IMG_0524_zps1zyv6wyc.jpg

photo IMG_0525_zpsyay4intc.jpg

photo IMG_0526_zpsme3khypd.jpg

photo IMG_0527_zpsr9txwdez.jpg

My two friends here actually did the correct 5K course

photo IMG_0528_zpsbk0iuxon.jpg

photo IMG_0529_zpsu2kxinbq.jpg

Lady on the right is a cancer survivor

photo IMG_0530_zpsvozdfrmx.jpg

photo IMG_0531_zpspycarbje.jpg

Found the beer....nice and cold too...

photo IMG_0533_zpsmpinkfef.jpg

photo IMG_0534_zpslm27dnd3.jpg

photo IMG_0535_zps2kkrinj9.jpg

photo IMG_0540_zpsbffg47zw.jpg

photo IMG_0541_zpsxeczregb.jpg

Two speedy ladies.   My friend on the right was first woman overall for the 5K, even though she actually ended up doing 4 miles and change..

photo IMG_0536_zpstonu5tjy.jpg

With one of my favorite running ladies

photo IMG_0538_zpsem58yazj.jpg

With friend Scott of Athlete Guild race management company

photo IMG_0539_zpsfysseiaw.jpg

The finisher medal

photo IMG_0542_zpsfxztevef.jpg

Epilogue

I think the poor Race Director had a shortage of volunteers - either that, or some of the course volunteers did not show up - so that didn't help; no volunteer at the point right after we started to direct 5K folks to the right, 10K folks to the left at a certain point.  So everything got a bit confused..5K runners running with 10K runner son their course, some 5K runners doing the correct course, cats sleeping with dogs, oh my!    I don't know if anyone really got upset about it - pretty much me and my friends just kinda laughed it off; stuff happens and you just gotta go with the flow, and deal with it; so I just kept running and taking photos, lol. The Race Director is aware - he sure got talked to a lot about it - so it will improve next time I"m sure. I've done this one in the past and it went without a  This really is a good event for a good cause and has some really nice post-race goodie, finisher medal, and nice quality race tee.  In spite of this year's confusion, I would still do it again and recommend it to others.

Mucho thanks to the brothers for what they do for the Alzheimer' Association and the running community and thanks to all the volunteers who were out there for us.  Also big thanks to all the sponsors, the law enforcement officers out there, the food preparers, Athlete Guild race management company for timing and results - altho they were obviously skewed for this one, but no fault of Athlete Guild - and any other involved person or group I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you all for doing what you do so we could have this event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

The woman who won the 5k must really be speedy if she did an extra mile and still won. Wow!

Who won, beard or beans?

What's with the guy with two bibs? (183 and 185)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The woman who won the 5k must really be speedy if she did an extra mile and still won. Wow!

Who won, beard or beans?

What's with the guy with two bibs? (183 and 185)

There is one more race in the Fall for this cause...and then we find out if Beards or Beans won.

I think the guy with two bibs has a split personality..   Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt