Beginners and Beyond

Saturdailies and more bird (Read 49 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Outoftheblue, sorry to hear that. Hope the meds work.

GinnyinPA

Out of the Blue - I'm really sorry.  I hope the meds work and that you get more time with your puppy.  I know how hard it is.

Lauren - congratulations on a great race, even if you did stop at the wrong place.

Damaris - good luck and have fun tomorrow.  I hope all goes smoothly.

I had a really good MP run today in the rain.  It was a warm day (61) and the showers were light enough it didn't really make a difference. As long as my glasses stay dry, I'm good.  I was able to stay very close to the pace I wanted, though the Garmin was doing very strange things.  Every mile, after beeping and telling me the pace for the previous mile, it would say I was running extremely slowly, like a minute and a half or two minutes slower than the pace I knew I was going.  After .1 or .2, it would get back to the pace that I was actually doing.  Once it told me I was running at 5k pace about 10 seconds after telling me I was running 11 mm.  Say what?  All I could do was keep chugging along and hope that the overall pace was accurate.

The results for my Turkey Trot finally got posted online; I got my placings after the race, but didn't know the field size. Turns out it was 1/20 AG, 10/512 OA. I realize this event was probably mostly people out for a casual Thanksgiving morning jog, but those numbers still make me feel pretty good.

Dave

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

No race today, so slept in until 7 a.m. Then up, ate some breakfast, watched a bit of TV. Then off to Fort Sam Houston for a run. Oops..dang it, forgot my shower shoes...stop at Walmart to get a pair. Get to the base...dang it, forgot my energy gel! Short stop at the exchange. Dang, I hope this is not the way my run is going to go, lol. Nope..run/walk went great! A little windy and 40 degrees, with wind chill of 37, but at least it didn't rain on me. And a couple of my dog pals were out in their yards on my route, so I gave them treats. Aside from stepping into a flippin' semi-deep puddle along the way and getting my shoes, socks, and feet really wet - at least I was almost done at that point, thank goodness - it was a very good outing. 3.2 miles done in 33:04 as a 'shake-out' for my legs for my 5K race tomorrow, after sitting on my butt all day Friday watching football. Race #63 for the year tomorrow, Santa Antonio 5K.

It also helped that, with about a half-mile to go back to the gym, a very nice looking young lady came running past me and then ahead of me, leading me back to the gym and motivating me to keep moving forward. After I got back to the gym I found her inside and did thank her for giving me "old man motivation" and gave her a laugh for the morning, lol. Very nice young lady, one of our "Army Strong" folks.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Cyberic

The results for my Turkey Trot finally got posted online; I got my placings after the race, but didn't know the field size. Turns out it was 1/20 AG, 10/512 OA. I realize this event was probably mostly people out for a casual Thanksgiving morning jog, but those numbers still make me feel pretty good.

Yeah, that is great placing. It would make me feel good too.

Cyberic

No race today, so slept in until 7 a.m. Then up, ate some breakfast, watched a bit of TV. Then off to Fort Sam Houston for a run. Oops..dang it, forgot my shower shoes...stop at Walmart to get a pair. Get to the base...dang it, forgot my energy gel! Short stop at the exchange. Dang, I hope this is not the way my run is going to go, lol. Nope..run/walk went great! A little windy and 40 degrees, with wind chill of 37, but at least it didn't rain on me. And a couple of my dog pals were out in their yards on my route, so I gave them treats. Aside from stepping into a flippin' semi-deep puddle along the way and getting my shoes, socks, and feet really wet - at least I was almost done at that point, thank goodness - it was a very good outing. 3.2 miles done in 33:04 as a 'shake-out' for my legs for my 5K race tomorrow, after sitting on my butt all day Friday watching football. Race #63 for the year tomorrow, Santa Antonio 5K.

It also helped that, with about a half-mile to go back to the gym, a very nice looking young lady came running past me and then ahead of me, leading me back to the gym and motivating me to keep moving forward. After I got back to the gym I found her inside and did thank her for giving me "old man motivation" and gave her a laugh for the morning, lol. Very nice young lady, one of our "Army Strong" folks.

Smile

Zelanie

So sorry, Linda.

delicate flower

OOTB, very sorry to hear about your pup.  Sad

Nice!  You should feel good about that!  Heck, even if half the field was out for an easy jog, 10/250 is still pretty awesome, and we can assume a hell of a lot more than half the field was there to race.

<3

From the Internet.

It's been a tough holiday for me.  On Wednesday, my oldest dog, a 12 year old rottweiler, had a seizure and her hind legs are now paralyzed.  The vet doesn't know what caused it, but suspects a brain tumor.  The only way to know for sure is to put her under anesthesia (risky given her present condition)  and run a cat scan.  We elected now to take that risk  because, if they found a tumor or lesion, there is no way of treating it given her age.

So we have her on anti-seizure medication and steroids with the hope that the steroid might reduce and inflammation spur some increased mobility.  It is not a completely hopeless situation, but it doesn't look very good right now. It's just really hard, given that we lost our other rottweiler last year.   My family was very understanding and supportive, but I'm pretty much sick with worry right now.

Oh no! Sad I'm so sorry to hear that, it sucks when the best course of action is to just watch and wait. I hope you're able to keep her comfortable and happy for a while yet.

Went through a different but similarly-shitty situation with my baby (cat) earlier this year, and my family's first dog had a suspected brain tumor when she got older a couple of years ago. We adopted her when I was a sophomore in high school and she lived to be ~15; family also elected not to pursue diagnosis of the tumor for the same reasons, she did fairly well on steroids for some time before we decided her quality of life wasn't good anymore. No seizures in her case but she was going deaf and very confused/anxious/exhausted a lot of the time.

Ric-G

ootb - sorry about that

lauren - congrats but crazy mat placement...

dave - great no matter what the race...i would take it

D2 and eric - nice long runs

i've been in big bear, cal the last couple of days...it was 17 degrees this morning - i still don't know how you guys survive and run in the winter...i did not run while there, but i did do a few miles after we got in earlier today.

my only running related connection is when i saw a signed photo in a restaurant (teddy bear diner?) of the oft criticized Ryan Hall...i did a double take and wondered why - then i remembered that he lived and/or trained up there...altitude training i guess of about 7000 feet.

marathon pr - 3:16

workinprogress11

Wow, that's awesome. Great job!

OOTB, so sorry to hear about your dog.