Beginners and Beyond

Wake up you lazy bums, it's the Saturdailies! (Read 43 times)

DavePNW

Yes, your mistake cost you time on the course. I know next to nothing about racing good 5ks, but I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to run half a mile at 5k pace, or even faster, minutes before the start of the race. Then, in your already stressed state, you went out to fast and it hurt the rest of your splits. Arriving late was just an honest mistake, though. And thank God for the national anthem! (that one is for Cy. ) Frustrating turn of events for you, but still a very strong finish time that I would certainly not call an epic fail. First AG is something to celebrate. Congrats on that! And I agree that you must find another 5k so you can redeem yourself soon.

If by "honest", you mean "idiotic", then I will agree with you.

Thanks anyway. 

Dave

happylily

You could also relegate your speed sessions to their own days, twice a weel and run easy the rest of the week. Thereby dropping the intermittent marathon paced miles sprinkled in runs throughout the week that are in addition to the two speed sessions.

I know why you are doing them, but the guy who excels at that is on a completely different level.

I have always trained with a high content of MP miles in my training (and have actually been criticized for training too fast too often...), but I never do more than one speed workout a week (outside of simple strides, hills and MP miles). Two would just kill me.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

Thanks anyway. 

LOL... Sorry... You must feel pretty pissed at yourself. But it's a mistake that won't happen again, I'm pretty sure.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Damn.

Go ahead and kick yourself but you have a lot going on outside of running, so I can see how that happened.

There is no way really to paint it in a positive light, it's just one of those things that happens.

It happened to me once and I can tell you this, it will never happen again.

Little Blue

Rest day.  I went this morning to help my elderly friend clean her house.  Groceries on the way home.  Now it's 92, feels like 102.  I think not.  I anticipate lots of inside puttering today.

Mid to upper 90s all week.  Yay June!

LRB

Two would just kill me.

You know? I do not know how many he is doing now that you mention it. Two speed and one long is what I assumed but you are right, not everyone does that.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have a question regarding the 25-30% MP content of our weekly mileage: are we supposed to run them at what we "hope" our MP will be in 18 weeks, or at what it would be today if we ran a marathon? Because I'd really like to run a 3:25 next October, but I'm only running MP miles for a 3:30 finish time at the moment, because I feel that's where my physical condition really is at now. As it improves over the next few weeks, I will adjust the pace in consequence. Is it possible that you're running your MP miles too fast at this point in the cycle?

I'm confused about all this. Maybe Jay could help with an answer... And don't worry about the group. They are runners, they will understand... You can always go back to them later.

Congrats on another high mileage week!

You are correct.  That's how my coach trains me.  The MP keeps adjusting as we keep improving.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I didn't run this morning, I woke up feeling "blah" and just the idea of going out in the warm and humid yuckiness had me wanting to go back to sleep Sad

I did go to the gym though, for an hour on Biceps, Triceps and Chest.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

DavePNW

I have a question regarding the 25-30% MP content of our weekly mileage: are we supposed to run them at what we "hope" our MP will be in 18 weeks, or at what it would be today if we ran a marathon? Because I'd really like to run a 3:25 next October, but I'm only running MP miles for a 3:30 finish time at the moment, because I feel that's where my physical condition really is at now. As it improves over the next few weeks, I will adjust the pace in consequence. 

I have always tried to use my goal pace throughout the cycle. But I don't know if that's the right thing to do. I have assumed if you can run the paces, you should. I thought what you are building as your fitness improves is the number of MP miles you run. In general I have been able to hit all the various goal paces in training, but achieving goal MP on race day has never happened. Someday.

Dave

From the Internet.

My sweet girl is gone. Watched her try to play earlier this morning and then she really struggled to catch her breath, had to sit up. I'm going to miss her a ton, but I'm glad I didn't wait for her to get any worse. She left peacefully with me petting her and looking into her eyes.

Need to eat something and then I'm going to go run some trails to clear my head.

Little Blue

RIP sweet kitty.  ((Lauren))

Half Crazy K 2.0

AC is repaired, under warranty or the maintenance plan, so no cost.  6.8 very rough miles. I stopped at a gas station for Gatorade after 4.5 cause I was beat.

DaveP, nice AG win. Getting to a race late is my nightmare.

Lauren,  RIP kitty. Hope the run can help clear your mind, the run I took after we put our dog really did that.

LRB, hope you found a restroom or a tree. Or if you resorted to a Gatorade bottle, you did not share that with the runners.

LRB

LRB, hope you found a restroom or a tree. Or if you resorted to a Gatorade bottle, you did not share that with the runners.

That it was chilly exacerbated the matter but yes, I was able to find the little boys room where I promptly sat on the toilet to pee.

Cyberic

I have a question regarding the 25-30% MP content of our weekly mileage: are we supposed to run them at what we "hope" our MP will be in 18 weeks, or at what it would be today if we ran a marathon? Because I'd really like to run a 3:25 next October, but I'm only running MP miles for a 3:30 finish time at the moment, because I feel that's where my physical condition really is at now. As it improves over the next few weeks, I will adjust the pace in consequence. Is it possible that you're running your MP miles too fast at this point in the cycle?

I'm confused about all this. Maybe Jay could help with an answer... And don't worry about the group. They are runners, they will understand... You can always go back to them later.

Congrats on another high mileage week!

Since I don't run on a treadmill, the paces I run at don't need to be dialed in. The way I see it, there is the McMillan equivalent MP, and the MP I more realistically expect to hold. Those are my training MP miles limits. If I'm running faster than McMillan MP, I slow down, and if I run slower than the MP I expect to hold, I go faster.

I don't consider MP running as speed running. To me, speed is Daniels' Threshold pace and faster. But MP running is harder than Easy paced running. So my body probably feels it, even though it's not really speed running. Sigh. There is always something.

LRB

Need to eat something and then I'm going to go run some trails to clear my head.

Good, take care of yourself. Hope you feel better.