Beginners and Beyond

Icelandic Sundailies (Read 37 times)

LRB

Just over 7, including a mile race.  It is astounding how I can repeatedly suck at the same distance.  (In my defense, the PACER went out way too fast.  Serves me right for relying on someone else, I guess.  Now I know better for next time.)

It's pretty remarkable that you were able to run a 6:00 flat after runninga 5:42 1st quarter. But yeah, lesson learned!

5k race this morning, during which I pondered why I keep signing up for 5k races when I don't really like them.  At the post-race party, once I had pizza, beer, and ice cream in hand, I remembered why I keep signing up for 5k races.  

DavePNW

5k race this morning, during which I pondered why I keep signing up for 5k races when I don't really like them.  At the post-race party, once I had pizza, beer, and ice cream in hand, I remembered why I keep signing up for 5k races.  

Maybe you should just show up for the post-race.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

It's pretty remarkable that you were able to run a 6:00 flat after runninga 5:42 1st quarter. But yeah, lesson learned!

I didn't run 6:00 flat... my mistake was not looking at my watch after I gave up on the pacer, because I thought I was running a lot slower than I actually was, and by the time I was able to read the finish line clock, it was too late.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

No more marathons

Feeling a little better but this crud is hard to shake.  Probably won't run today.

Tomorrow I'll be watching the eclipse totality from my back yard.

that should be exciting.  We'll only have a little over a minute of totality because we're right on the edge - but at least we don't have to travel to get that.  Truly a once in a lifetime experience.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

Just over 7, including a mile race.  It is astounding how I can repeatedly suck at the same distance.  (In my defense, the PACER went out way too fast.  Serves me right for relying on someone else, I guess.  Now I know better for next time.)

For sure.

Back when I could run that fast, my rule of thumb was that for every second better than my overall expected average that I went out in the first mile of a 5K, or the first quarter in a mile race, I would give up 3 seconds over the rest of the race

Using that theory, you gained 4.5 seconds, and would give back 13.5 - for a net loss of 9 seconds.  The 6:04 becomes 5:55.  That's a goal to short for.

Probably pure hog wash - move along, nothing to see here.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Did you actually drink a soda? I don't think I could do that.

18 for me. I was just glad I decided to carry a water bottle, for a change.

62 for the week.

Oh I used to stop at the house to drink a Mtn dew mid LR. Worked like a charm.

Damaris

DavePNW

For sure. I drank a can of diet coke in less than 2 minutes, found a dumpster to throw the can and continued on my way. After running 13 miles with nothing to drink it was amazing.

They do a beer mile, they should also have a soda mile. I would puke either way. I haven't actually had a soda in years.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

For sure.

Back when I could run that fast, my rule of thumb was that for every second better than my overall expected average that I went out in the first mile of a 5K, or the first quarter in a mile race, I would give up 3 seconds over the rest of the race

Using that theory, you gained 4.5 seconds, and would give back 13.5 - for a net loss of 9 seconds.  The 6:04 becomes 5:55.  That's a goal to short for.

Probably pure hog wash - move along, nothing to see here.

Well, I wasn't being quite as analytical as all that -- I KNOW I can run a mile in six flat, so I was going to stay with the pacer until the last quarter and gain my couple of seconds there.  Except that I was operating under the assumption that she knew what she was doing, i.e., running even splits.  (I mean, she probably did finish in six minutes.  I just can't do the "fly and die" method, thanks.)

Never mind that my 5K predicts something like 5:52...

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Runshortii

Oh I used to stop at the house to drink a Mtn dew mid LR. Worked like a charm.

That actually sounds really good, and I'm not a huge mtn dew fan.

Cutback week, I ran 12. 35 for the week. 12 miles used to seem so long, now it feels like nothing.

workinprogress11

I barely scratched together another 20 mile week. I had to run 7 today to do it. My feet hurt, haha.

LRB

I didn't run 6:00 flat... my mistake was not looking at my watch after I gave up on the pacer, because I thought I was running a lot slower than I actually was, and by the time I was able to read the finish line clock, it was too late.

Your 4 quarter mile splits add up to 6:00.9. That's 6:00 flat in my book. Yeah, sure, your official time was 6:04 (or whatever it is/was) but that's a result of the course being longer than a mile.

LRB

That actually sounds really good, and I'm not a huge mtn dew fan.

Cutback week, I ran 12. 35 for the week. 12 miles used to seem so long, now it feels like nothing.

I gave up pop a million years ago but MD was like crack to me back when I drank it. Yum!

LRB

I barely scratched together another 20 mile week. I had to run 7 today to do it. My feet hurt, haha.

I had to look to know but got 13 this week, and those were a struggle lol

GinnyinPA

My run yesterday was late afternoon, with temps in the 80s and dew point in the 60s. I had water, but not enough for conditions (the sun came out and stayed out.)  I took a different route and was very happy to pass a small market I had never seen before. I drank a 20 oz. Gatorade in just a couple of minutes, though I intended to make it last. I kept expecting that to backfire, but my body just absorbed all the liquid and kept asking for more.