Beginners and Beyond

Good Vibes Friday Dailies (Read 49 times)

StepbyStep-SH

Mommy pride moment!

DS just chose to register for the 5k, rather than the kids' races, at an event next weekend. Even knowing I won't be able to run with him, and will instead be walking most of the route. Pride is expensive, though - the kids' races are free, but our 5k registrations cost $25 each. Worth.Every.Penny.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

happylily

Two hours - 7 miles, including two 10-second test jogs - on the rail trail. Beautiful out there this morning!

I wish I had brought a decent camera, especially since I was only walking - could have gotten much better photos than these from my phone.

Below are two of three bald eagles I saw - one of them flew directly over me earlier in the walk - taking off from a tree right beside the trail and not 10 feet away. I saw about two dozen different kinds of birds: blue jays, cardinals, chickadees, a sandhill crane, Canada geese, blue-winged teal, hooded mergansers, red-winged blackbirds, a goldfinch, sparrows and others I couldn't identify, along with signs of some literally busy beavers - one had taken down a tree that blocked half the trail.

What beautiful pictures, Shari! I can almost smell spring's fresh perfume through them. You are lucky to live in such a peaceful rural area. And great job on the 7 miles!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

Mommy pride moment!

DS just chose to register for the 5k, rather than the kids' races, at an event next weekend. Even knowing I won't be able to run with him, and will instead be walking most of the route. Pride is expensive, though - the kids' races are free, but our 5k registrations cost $25 each. Worth.Every.Penny.

Your DS is growing up. Soon, you won't be allowed to call him a "kid".  You have good reasons to be proud of him!

B-Plus

Yeah! Way to go Mrs Sly!

6 x (4 min H w/3 min E). My last Vo2Max session of this cycle. Pretty soon I'll shift into marathon training. Still don't know if I'm going to follow a plan, and if so, if I'll go Hansons or Pfitz. I'm also considering training going on a self-made, change as you go schedule, with a goal miles per week, a percentage of those miles at MP or faster, one long run, one or two HMP or faster workouts (I like Daniels Tempo speed which is kinda 10K speed). But for now, I gotta get this 5K thing done, and done well (hopefully).

Since you like Daniels, have you considered using (or at least loosely following) one of his plans?

LRB

6 x (4 min H w/3 min E). My last Vo2Max session of this cycle. Pretty soon I'll shift into marathon training.

Enjoy the downtime.  I was in a similar place a couple of years ago and if I had it to do all over again I would follow his 5k plan (or a variation of it) for marathon training with one 2 hour MP run and an increase in overall mileage.

But I am not convinced that traditional marathon training is the best thing for me, so ignore everything I just said because it works just great for everyone else.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Louisville races never again, it was hell just after the exit around New Albany to here. Construction and expressway closings and all other bullshit. I was about ready to just head home, I feel like shit, I am sick headed and sick to my stomach  

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

workinprogress11

7 easy.

Cyberic

Since you like Daniels, have you considered using (or at least loosely following) one of his plans?

I have. He also proposes different approaches for the marathon, some of them pretty loose too.

LRB your suggestion is not crazy at all. I will not follow it as I want to log in many miles at MP and all the intervals, Repeats and Tempos of his 5K plans require a lot of Easy paced running, to me anyways. But I'm pretty sure it would work out well.

LRB

I am eating bumpy cake FFS.

Half Crazy K 2.0

5.92 easy.

Step, that rail trail looks so nice. Good luck to your DS at his 5k.

Freesoul, Friday traffic is usually crappy no matter where you live. Hope your weekend improves.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice pics, Steph.

4 miles in horrid humidity.  FFS, it is better to rain than this shit.

Damaris

DavePNW

I am eating bumpy cake FFS.

No one outside SE MI knows what that means.

Dave

happylily

8 easy done, including some hill work.

LRB

No one outside SE MI knows what that means.

Oh...

I guess you have a point. lol