Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #176 (Read 24 times)

sdWhiskers

Due to the overwhelming number of requests to bring our work chairs home, my company has decided to give everyone $500 to buy one for our home office. I guess that's logistically easier than having thousands of employees pick one up. And also as we transition to doing a little work on-site but most still at home, we need a chair in both places. But a quality office chair for $500 will be tricky. Anyone love their chair?

DavePNW

But a quality office chair for $500 will be tricky. 

Apparently I have not done much office chair shopping, because that sounds like a lot of money to me.

Dave

LRB

Due to the overwhelming number of requests to bring our work chairs home, my company has decided to give everyone $500 to buy one for our home office. I guess that's logistically easier than having thousands of employees pick one up. And also as we transition to doing a little work on-site but most still at home, we need a chair in both places. But a quality office chair for $500 will be tricky. Anyone love their chair?

Hmm, $500 x thousands? I'd let them pick up their chairs. lol

sdWhiskers

Apparently I have not done much office chair shopping, because that sounds like a lot of money to me.

I might have been wrong. When I was at a start up company, I looked at pricing for chairs and was shocked. But right now, browsing through the Staples website, looks like $200-300 is reasonable. BUT ARE THEY COMFORTABLE!?!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am sure the government spends like $200. Which is why my chair sucks.

Damaris

DavePNW

I am working in a chair which we probably picked up for free off a curb somewhere, lol. It seems fine.

One office chair beef: a lot of them are made out of that webbing material, you probably know what I'm talking about. It's super abrasive - they've worn out the fabric on the belt loop in the back of my pants, from rubbing against the back of the chair. Of course now working from home I don't need to wear pants, so problem solved.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Mine is as well but I don’t wear a belt and most of my pants don't have a belt insert thingy. Smile

Damaris

sdWhiskers

My current wfh chair was from a friend who moved away. It is comfortable but s l o w l y drops to the lowest height every hour. Not ideal.

DavePNW

My current wfh chair was from a friend who moved away. It is comfortable but s l o w l y drops to the lowest height every hour. Not ideal.

LOL that would be annoying. Like you don't notice anything, then at some point your chin is on the desk.

Dave

KCRuns

That's very generous!  We just bought a new wfh desk chair for me from Modway Inc.  Very comfy and I don't think it was expensive.  Adjustable height, tilts and arms move.  I keep one arm down to rest one elbow on and have the other arm up because I'm short and it makes it easier to use my mouse.  And it rolls.  We also bought one of those clear floor mats for hardwood so I don't scratch up the floor.

Half Crazy K 2.0

DH's company is offering $250 for home office stuff. He's going to look for a new chair and I'll take his. I doubt he can take the money to cover a portion of the ER visit related to my desk.

sdWhiskers

LOL that would be annoying. Like you don't notice anything, then at some point your chin is on the desk.

I'm constantly shrinking! And I have to stand up awkwardly to fix it--which is extra awkward on Webex meetings.

Cyberic

Our company bought us good chairs like 17-18 years ago and I still have mine. Most of us do. After 4-6 weeks of working at home on a cheap chair I was starting to have back problems so I went to the office to pick mine up.

The Woman bought an office chair of decent quality about two years ago, in a specialty store and she paid 1000 or 1100 CDN$ for it, so maybe 750-800 USD. Although it is quite a decent chair, it is in no way luxurious. It is simply well built, with good adjustments possible in many places. Much better than what you find in normal stores but still inferior to what she has at the office.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I'm constantly shrinking! And I have to stand up awkwardly to fix it--which is extra awkward on Webex meetings.

I didn't know you were Johnny English!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQrD5lkN18o

Damaris