Beginners and Beyond

Icy TuesDAILIES (Read 22 times)

LRB

I just ran into the chip timing dude from East Side Racing. He says some of the events with fields of 2,000+ will likely disband (I think the current limit is 500 which is released in waves). I guess for some if it don't make dollars it don't make cents sense.

LRB

I have not seen it anywhere, yet, but I can't wait to read one of those threads 

I'm really surprised Boston is doing this. After 125 years of cultivating the "you need a certain level to run Boston" thing, and that IS what makes Boston Boston, I don't get why they are doing this. Aren't they afraid the die hard fans will lose interest? That their brand will lose its luster?

And what will marathon investigations dot com do with 70,000 "sub-3:00" marathon finishes?? The site will implode. lol

sdWhiskers

After 125 years of cultivating the "you need a certain level to run Boston" thing, and that IS what makes Boston Boston, I don't get why they are doing this. Aren't they afraid the die hard fans will lose interest? That their brand will lose its luster?

I hope that happens. I mean, hitting an aggressive qualifying time is a great accomplishment for many runners--but what do you win? (besides the privilege of running with Cyber )  a ridiculously overpriced weekend with horrible marathoning weather and an ugly jacket. At least that is my takeaway over the past few years.

DavePNW

a ridiculously overpriced weekend with horrible marathoning weather and an ugly jacket.

Well yeah, all true, but still one of my top all-time memorable life experiences. YMMV.

Dave

onemile

I hope that happens. I mean, hitting an aggressive qualifying time is a great accomplishment for many runners--but what do you win? (besides the privilege of running with Cyber )  a ridiculously overpriced weekend with horrible marathoning weather and an ugly jacket. At least that is my takeaway over the past few years.

The Q times aren't exactly aggressive.. especially for women.  I actually enjoyed running the race - the course and the spectators. And my weather wasn't horrible. The jacket is ugly, sure, but it's part of the fun (seeing everyone in their year's jacket.)

sdWhiskers

Well yeah, all true, but still one of my top all-time memorable life experiences. YMMV.

Baboon

delicate flower

an ugly jacket

Speaking of said jacket, I actually wore mine on a few runs this winter, and holy shit that thing is like a heater.

<3

DavePNW

Speaking of said jacket, I actually wore mine on a few runs this winter, and holy shit that thing is like a heater.

That’s funny, because it’s pretty thin, so when worn as a regular jacket (the only way I’ve worn it) doesn’t keep you very warm. 

Dave

Cyberic

the privilege of running with Cyber 

That is something to consider, though...

DavePNW

Incidentally, LRB’s description of the fit of the Boston jacket is on point: it’s like wearing a paper bag with sleeves.

Dave

Cyberic

I've enjoyed my Boston marathon experience. It is special. I say it is in my top 15 or 20 most memorable life experiences. One of them, for sure, but there are many others.

DavePNW

I've enjoyed my Boston marathon experience. It is special. I say it is in my top 15 or 20 most memorable life experiences. One of them, for sure, but there are many others.

Yeah my wedding day and my kids being born were OK too I guess.

Dave

sdWhiskers

I have a few top running life moments, not sure how they compare to overall Life Moments though.

CIM 2018: everything came together, not an awesome time by any qualifying standards, but I felt great during the whole race and like a Rockstar passing almost a thousand people in the second half.

Running with kid is pretty awesome also, like his first mile race and 5k.

sdWhiskers

my kid being born were OK too I guess.

Memorable in a terrible car crash kinda way 

DavePNW

Memorable in a terrible car crash kinda way 

One of them particularly so, but that’s a whole other story.

Dave