Beginners and Beyond

What I like about Tuesday (Read 51 times)

LRB

She asks me twice a day, and yeah it is part of the fun.

Only twice? She's taking it easy on you, n00b! lol

LRB

Firing this off two days after my HM tells me I didn't (or couldn't) race my hardest obv obv.

Not sure I agree with any of that but I will concede for the sake of the internet.

happylily

I ran.  Interesting workout tonight.

15 minute w/u

15 x 20 second strides with 40 second recoveries

20 minutes steady

50 minutes, 6.6 miles, 7:37 avg pace.  Firing this off two days after my HM tells me I didn't (or couldn't) race my hardest obv obv.

Phil, it just means that you're about 10 years younger than Dave. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Baboon

delicate flower

Not sure I agree with any of that but I will concede for the sake of the internet.

Seems to me that a good hard run like this would be tough to do after racing a HM two days prior, no?  Also, I tend to not know WTF I am talking about most of the time.

<3

LRB

I had to restart my computer to get RA to load properly. I'm sure the noted PC HATER AMONGST US will take glee in that. If such a person even exist.

DavePNW

Phil, it just means that you're about 10 years younger than Dave. 

ABOUT 7, TYVM.

Dave

LRB

Seems to me that a good hard run like this would be tough to do after racing a HM two days prior, no?  Also, I tend to not know WTF I am talking about most of the time.

When it comes to conditioned athletes in this group, I'm not sure anyone here is on your level...except the MBC of course. lol

God bless him, but LTH used to make the argument that if you weren't hobbling around, barely able to run easy pace for 17 years after a race, it meant you didn't race it hard enough.

You (and him) could very well be correct, I just do not know if that is the manner in which a race should be judged is all. I have no real argument against it, other than to say I never really know how I'm going to feel after a race or tough training run until I get out there.

Some days it's a struggle, and some days I can fly. There is no real rhyme or reason to it on *my* end regardless of what I did in the days prior.

Having said that I think you raced your ass off Saturday. And that's a position I'm not budging off of, yo.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Intervals today, fever and sweating followed by chills. Is this just part of psychosomatic taper madness? All that was followed my nightmares during an afternoon nap. It's also making it hard for last minute preparations like grocery shopping and laundry.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Little Blue

Um, that's a normal thing to ask of someone who is running a marathon in a few days.

#thatmomentyourealizeyougottaper

I first read that as #thatmomentyourealizeyouforgottaper

How could one forget to taper?

Baboon

delicate flower

stuff

werd.  I always seem to have a hard time running well for a good 3-4 days after a HM, so I was surprised I ran so well today.  I ain't complaining though.

Intervals today, fever and sweating followed by chills. Is this just part of psychosomatic taper madness? All that was followed my nightmares during an afternoon nap. It's also making it hard for last minute preparations like grocery shopping and laundry.

Sounds like you've got a case of the Daves.  Get better, George!

<3

workinprogress11

In the ongoing experiment of trying to make running not suck, I decided to start out at a pace about a minute slower than my easiest easy pace. My legs yelled at me for going that slow, but other than that it was the best run I've had in a long time. I ended up just shy of my normal easy pace after 5 miles.  Maybe I need another lung check up.

Half Crazy K 2.0

LRB

werd.  I always seem to have a hard time running well for a good 3-4 days after a HM, so I was surprised I ran so well today.  I ain't complaining though.

Well you would know better than I would so again, I concede. Just out of curiosity though, what was your target on the strides?

LRB

I first read that as #thatmomentyourealizeyouforgottaper

How could one forget to taper?

I'm sure it's been done. lol

From the Internet.

When it comes to conditioned athletes in this group, I'm not sure anyone here is on your level...except the MBC of course. lol

God bless him, but LTH used to make the argument that if you weren't hobbling around, barely able to run easy pace for 17 years after a race, it meant you didn't race it hard enough.

You (and him) could very well be correct, I just do not know if that is the manner in which a race should be judged is all. I have no real argument against it, other than to say I never really know how I'm going to feel after a race or tough training run until I get out there.

Some days it's a struggle, and some days I can fly. There is no real rhyme or reason to it on *my* end regardless of what I did in the days prior.

Having said that I think you raced your ass off Saturday. And that's a position I'm not budging off of, yo.

It's an n of 1 so take with a boulder of salt, but the one time that I've raced a half marathon (so far) I felt like I'd bruised my damn lungs and I couldn't even *think* about running faster than easy pace for a good week and a half, and even then my first workout back was a baby workout.

I will concede that things are probably a bit different for a half raced during MRT than for a half that was trained and tapered for specifically, though. And the weather was a factor for Boon's race too - tough to impossible to get up to true half marathon race effort when running in soup, so that probably made recovery quicker too.