Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - Segways for Vets 5K (Read 13 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below. 

Link to photos only:  http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2064%20Segways%20for%20Vets%205K

BEFORE THE START

This was my 64th race of 2016 and my 3rd 5K of the Veteran's Day long weekend.  Segway for Vets, put on by local Freetail Brewery, raises funds to purchase and donate Segways to Disabled Vets (DV).  A nice turn-out for this one, with lots of veterans participating for this good cause. This event has gone on, I believe, for 2 or 3 years, but this is the first time I did this event.  The brewery, located near the downtown area of San Antonio and quite close to the Mission Reach part of the San Antonio Riverwalk, is about a 20-minute drive from my house.  9 a.m. start time, so I was able to sleep in a bit - but not too much, because in the downtown area anywhere parking space is always 'at a premium"...so I arrived with about an hour to go, found a nice spot to park and then wandered around taking some pre-start photos.

One of the first people I saw - my friend Mitch, co-owner of iRun Texas, local race management company/running store.  For this race, iRun did the course setup, timing, results, etc.

photo 011_zpsvaadesrv.jpg

Race Directors Charito and Mitch

photo 012_zpsfuumxedm.jpg

photo 013_zpsxil9x8b2.jpg

Some of the team members of Project Phoenix San Antonio, of which I am also a member.  Check 'em out on their facebook page.

Close, closer, close-up.

photo 022_zpsqsx4frri.jpg

photo 023_zpsamfkibrq.jpg

photo 024_zps5nzwmmjg.jpg

Team RWB (Red White and Blue) veteran's organization (I'm also a member); some of the team members.  This organization has chapters in several cities across the US.

photo 025_zps92jfdw90.jpg

photo 026_zpsi2muhdin.jpg

Me and friend, Cecy

photo 028_zpsmiiiu8c5.jpg

Me with bud Roy, co-founder of Project Phoenix San Antonio

photo 029_zpswwk7rbq0.jpg

Friend Max (orange coat) with friends/family

photo 001_zpsf4kmhbmj.jpg

Some of the other runners, walkers, vets, sponsors, volunteers, supporters, etc.

photo 002_zpswd8mv4a3.jpg

photo 003_zpsw8iaxcnd.jpg

photo 004_zpsw4ekgtci.jpg

My friend George was a bike volunteer making sure everyone on the course was ok.  He got a workout going up and down the course several times.

photo 005_zpse34bmxmb.jpg

photo 006_zps6nkc74pu.jpg

photo 007_zps1fcemlfi.jpg

photo 008_zps7on2zefz.jpg

photo 009_zpsyngn3dcb.jpg

photo 014_zpsgqb9m2eb.jpg

photo 015_zpsr62knxqe.jpg

photo 020_zps775l8zhn.jpg

photo 030_zpsdnkudops.jpg

Got to get the flags in...

photo 031_zpszn1rci4x.jpg

photo 032_zpsbyd6iy6y.jpg

My friend, Trinne, who just did the NYC Marathon, and one of my fellow Air Force retirees

photo 033_zps4teodn0h.jpg

photo 034_zpsm4eye9tm.jpg

photo 035_zpsp0hgwhbl.jpg

photo 043_zpsqbwzalea.jpg

photo 037_zps0l9lnjx8.jpg

My 4-legged friend, Abbie, and her human.

photo 036_zpsqczpxbfq.jpg

My friends Margaret and Rocky, who is one speedy little dog!

photo 041_zpsmuf85aum.jpg

My friends John and Jennifer.  Not only did they race, they were volunteers too.

photo 039_zpsdlncjsq3.jpg

My speedy friend, Tanya, who was first overall Masters female

photo 044_zpsxyfqzjr9.jpg

Inside Freetail Brewery...do we get to tap these kegs after the race?

photo 016_zpsf6dvujzg.jpg

Race Day registration volunteers

photo 018_zpstgzofgnp.jpg

Darn, I got my friend Bart, here, a bit blurry...and I hadn't even had any beer yet!

photo 038_zpsub2gghpz.jpg

Getting ready for The National Anthem - Color Guard

photo 040_zps7mjv5ca5.jpg

Lady on the left sang The Anthem beautifully

photo 042_zpsj8eh0s7h.jpg

Getting ready to start....

photo 045_zpsgvxev8b2.jpg

ON THE COURSE

The Segway riding participants started first, and then the rest of us started about 10 minutes or so later.  Start at the brewery, wound around a couple streets through an adjacent neighborhood, and then onto the off-road Riverwalk paved trails,  the "Museum Reach" part, with the San Antonio River beside us and the course taking us down to a turn-around point; then back on the Riverwalk to the streets we had started out on, which took us to the finish back at Freetail Brewery.   I had seen several of the 'speedy people'  in my age group (60 - 69) here, so knew I was not getting an award today.  My strategy continues to be to just try and outlive them.     After two other 5Ks this weekend done already, I thought I did pretty good though, finishing in 34:02 chip-time, 7th in my age group.   And, as usual, took photos on the course during my walk breaks.   The weather cooperated very nicely...cloudy/overcast, around 64 degrees at start time, low humidity and dew-point.  Thank you Mother Nature!   Also, I'll tell you what...you start to get a bit tired on this course..and then you see a DV coming toward you...and your motivation gets all rejuvenated.

photo 046_zpsmdawkczc.jpg

photo 047_zpsuj3ieyok.jpg

photo 048_zpsslizfvnk.jpg

photo 049_zpswee5wks3.jpg

photo 050_zpshdvotovv.jpg

photo 051_zpsx38hjess.jpg

photo 052_zpsmp9e3og1.jpg

photo 053_zps7pjjg9ro.jpg

photo 054_zpsqsvw0xl9.jpg

photo 055_zpsnupugepb.jpg

photo 056_zpsytaynsgm.jpg

photo 057_zpsj8rgb7ea.jpg

photo 058_zpsxvwhyspa.jpg

photo 059_zps8w60qwub.jpg

photo 060_zpszdtngvdj.jpg

photo 061_zpsqieisqc6.jpg

photo 062_zpscbievroe.jpg

photo 063_zpstvimwlay.jpg

photo 066_zpsnqnxacxd.jpg

photo 067_zpsiytdi4uq.jpg

photo 068_zpsxnhec74z.jpg

After that last photo, it was nonstop running for the last 1.2 miles all the way back to the finish.

AFTER MY FINISH

Going for the beer!   Oh yeah!

photo 073_zps01c6groi.jpg

There were also sausages, popcorn, and other goodies.  Brewery tour was given also to any of the participants who wanted to do that - and more free beer.  And an enjoyable time was had by all.  At least, as far as I could see where I was at any given time.

Happy Finishers, supporters, volunteers, etc.

photo 069_zpsaih6npkb.jpg

photo 070_zpsfipovwny.jpg

photo 071_zpsiquixdqc.jpg

photo 072_zpsvddnvets.jpg

Ahhh, Bart is clear this time..and he is even wearing a halo...  

photo 074_zps3t7xtbts.jpg

photo 075_zpst9gfubiu.jpg

photo 076_zpsvnqdqm1w.jpg

photo 077_zpsbp2itl5t.jpg

photo 078_zpsupobofau.jpg

photo 079_zpsivx58b6e.jpg

photo 080_zpsvqfupxsi.jpg

photo 081_zps8j4bjyqk.jpg

photo 082_zpsrjfo52l6.jpg

photo 085_zpsgbanyrp9.jpg

photo 086_zpsi5tvd65y.jpg

photo 088_zpsvt6uztof.jpg

photo 089_zps4ft8zhka.jpg

photo 090_zpsrxpoka7n.jpg

photo 091_zpsc68es31g.jpg

photo 092_zpsnse5eoxn.jpg

photo 094_zps7j3dlh0s.jpg

iRun Texas crew.  Thanks guys!

photo 084_zpsvtwcasbp.jpg

Our MC for today's event, who did a great job.

photo 087_zpsfjihbq2q.jpg

EPILOGUE

Well done, Mitch and Charito and Freetail,  the organizers of this event.  This is a quality event for a very good cause. Very nicely thought-out and well-designed course; nice race shirts; lots of post-race goodies, nice medals to the age group winners; and door prizes too - none of which I won, darn the luck.  This one is definitely going to be a keeper on my race calendar. Mucho thanks to all the people who made this one happen for us - Segway for Vets, Freetail Brewery staff,  Mitch and Charito and all the volunteers, "my man" and friend, Mannie, who cooked up the sausages, all the sponsors, all the law enforcement folks that were out there for us, etc.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

Sounds like a great cause and race. Did you test out any Segways?

GinnyinPA

Looks like a great course and a nice turnout.  Congratulations on another 3 race weekend.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sounds like a great cause and race. Did you test out any Segways?

Umm, nooo..I'd be a hazard to others...I'm a klutz, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt