Beginners and Beyond

Wednesdailies......... (Read 32 times)

onemile

Dave, I run 5+ hour marathons in 6oz shoes so it's about what you get used to.

There you go. You can run a marathon in 6oz shoes because Damaris can.

There you go. You can run a marathon in 6oz shoes because Damaris can.

Well of course she can also run a marathon in a 70 DP, and I can't do that.

Dave

LRB

No problem getting my money back. I bought them from the Brooks store, 90 day return policy.

The remorse is just wondering whether I bought the right shoes. Since I was at Brooks, I tried their main 3 racing shoes: Hyperion, Neuro, and Asteria. I liked them in that order. The Hyperions just felt really good, and fast, although only a few minutes on the treadmill. The other two just felt a lot closer to normal training shoes. But maybe that's what I'd need for racing longer distances anyway. If I am still having second thoughts after tomorrow's run and/or Saturday's race, I may pay a visit to the (non-Brooks) LRS to try out some other options.

I've raced a marathon in a 6.4 ounce flat but that was after weeks and months of 6 to 10 mile speed sessions, double digit MP runs, a half marathon or two and all sorts of 5 and 10ks. YMMV

Cyberic

But you are putting miles on a shoe either way and will have to buy another pair of something... With the amount of races you do, yours will last the rest of your life

Your argument looks good on paper, except :

1 - NB shoes don't last ME long because I kinda drag my feet, I guess, and the sole breaks down.

2 - When this specific pair is done with, maybe I won't like the latest version of the same shoe.

3 - In the winter I run both some easy mileage and intervals inside, and I find changing the foot pod from shoe to shoe is not as accurate as not touching it.

And as for racing little, I'm aware of that. I'll make sure to put in the miles before the rubber dries up and starts crumbling Smile

I've raced a marathon in a 6.4 ounce flat but that was after weeks and months of 6 to 10 mile speed sessions, double digit MP runs, a half marathon or two and all sorts of 5 and 10ks. YMMV

So the question - do you need to build your body up to this type of shoe, or is it a situation where either your body can handle it or it can't?

Dave

LRB

So the question - do you need to build your body up to this type of shoe, or is it a situation where either your body can handle it or it can't?

Great question.

You're building trust since the furthest you'll run in them is 16 - 18 miles during an MP run (18 - 22 for the elite hobby jogger, which clearly I am not) and those runs along with your shorter speed sessions cumulatively will give you the confidence that you can go the full distance. In doing this your body is also adapting to the shoes and if there are any issues they should pop up at some point during training. I put emphasis on should because unexpected shit could happen.

One thing with that though is your feet could grow weary of training in what could be compared to ballet shoes in some cases so there is a balance to be found. Another point to consider is some people don't need to train in flats to race a marathon in them, but again, I am not one of those people.

Great question.

You're building trust since the furthest you'll run in them is 16 - 18 miles during an MP run (18 - 22 for the elite hobby jogger, which clearly I am not) and those runs along with your shorter speed sessions cumulatively will give you the confidence that you can go the full distance. In doing this your body is also adapting to the shoes and if there are any issues they should pop up at some point during training. I put emphasis on should because unexpected shit could happen.

One thing with that though is your feet could grow weary of training in what could be compared to ballet shoes in some cases so there is a balance to be found. Another point to consider is some people don't need to train in flats to race a marathon in them, but again, I am not one of those people.

I had no intent to train in them, other than for VO2max intervals (and maybe LT tempos). Of course I don't know WTF I'm doing.

I guess anyway I will know a lot more after doing a 5 mile easy run in the tomorrow, to see how they actually feel beyond the LRS treadmill.

Dave

onemile

I had no intent to train in them, other than for VO2max intervals (and maybe LT tempos). Of course I don't know WTF I'm doing.

I guess anyway I will know a lot more after doing a 5 mile easy run in the tomorrow, to see how they actually feel beyond the LRS treadmill.

I do it this way:

Brooks Ghost for all easy runs including easy paced long runs

Adidas Tempo for long run workouts including marathon paced long runs, longer tempo runs, and marathon races

Adidas Adios for interval workouts, tempo workouts and shorter races (5k thru half marathon)

Cyberic

In my case, running an easy 5 is not a good way to judge a racing shoe. It is a great way to get your body used to the shoe, but not to judge them. I prefer my land yatchs for easy running. It's when I crank up the paces that my 1400s come to life.

I know baboon uses the same shoes for any type of running (well, I think he does), but although I have multi-purpose shoes (light trainers - tempo shoes are good all rounders IMO), I think it's best to judge the shoes in the pace range of their intended purpose.

In my case, running an easy 5 is not a good way to judge a racing shoe. It is a great way to get your body used to the shoe, but not to judge them. I prefer my land yatchs for easy running. It's when I crank up the paces that my 1400s come to life.

I know baboon uses the same shoes for any type of running (well, I think he does), but although I have multi-purpose shoes (light trainers - tempo shoes are good all rounders IMO), I think it's best to judge the shoes in the pace range of their intended purpose.

The easy 5 is just to test whether they cause any major problems. The racing test will be the race (since I didn't give myself enough time to do an interval workout before then). I did tell the store that if I PR, I'm keeping them.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great question.

^ This.

My first marathon was in 11oz shoes.  Now I try to keep mine in under 7oz.  But if you want to make the switch, this is a good way to do so.

At least do one of your quality LRs in them.

Damaris

^ This.

My first marathon was in 11oz shoes.  Now I try to keep mine in under 7oz.  But if you want to make the switch, this is a good way to do so.

At least do one of your quality LRs in them.

Heh. Got 18 w/12 MP next weekend. That'll break in those fuckers. Or me.

Dave