Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES: In Search Of (Read 39 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Why no TM?  Just curious.  It is probably the softest surface you can run on.  They are designed to absorb shock.   Good news though!!

ETA:  When recovering from knee surgery, I was told only treadmill.

I was wondering about that as well.

Damaris

Zelanie

My Doc says TM is actually the hardest surface, worse than concrete. That doesn't match what I've heard either but fuck, the guy is head sports doc for OSU athletics so he probably knows stuff. Also, one change this cycle is how many more TM miles I had been doing.

delicate flower

the guy is head sports doc for OSU athletics so he probably knows stuff

No, I know more than he does.  I read an article.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My Doc says TM is actually the hardest surface, worse than concrete. That doesn't match what I've heard either but fuck, the guy is head sports doc for OSU athletics so he probably knows stuff. Also, one change this cycle is how many more TM miles I had been doing.

I will say all that BS about surfaces does not help shin splints but most doctors believe it does (including my husband when he first got them).  At least they did not help husband at all.  He never got better in soft surfaces nor "good" surfaces.  His took a year to go away and only after he said fuck the surface and run.

There are some people that change their gate on the TM so much they get the shin splints.  I don't think it's surface, though, just depends on the person.

Damaris

LRB

Oh yeah, well if he's so smart why isn't he on any running forums?

LRB

There are some people that change their gate on the TM so much they get the shin splints.  I don't think it's surface, though, just depends on the person.

Over-striding, it's actually quite common. Back in my early days of running I made it a point to run near the console to prevent this.

Zelanie

Oh yeah, well if he's so smart why isn't he on any running forums?

Maybe he is. I know he's BQed.

LRB

Maybe he is. I know he's BQed.

You do know I was BS'n, right?

Zelanie

You do know I was BS'n, right?

As long as you don't BS your BQ, we're good.

DavePNW

I get it, I just don't consider 3 miles worth paying that much money and waking up before dawn for that purpose. never run 5k's anyway.

FYP.

Dave

LRB

Hey there. On the topic of HMs in 30 mph wind and snow, with sleet thrown in for good measure? Yeah, that was my Sunday. Wink

The intended goal of running it at MP didn't work out so well...avoiding broken bones took precedence.

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/watch-syracuse-half-marathon-runners-go-through-hail

Last long run (with pace) of the cycle is in the books.

Cyberic

Hey there. On the topic of HMs in 30 mph wind and snow, with sleet thrown in for good measure? Yeah, that was my Sunday. Wink

The intended goal of running it at MP didn't work out so well...avoiding broken bones took precedence.

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/watch-syracuse-half-marathon-runners-go-through-hail

Sheeeet! Interesting weather for a race.

Half Crazy K 2.0

4.45, felt better than yesterday.

Zelanie, good news that there is no stress fracture. Are you able to wear running shoes (or anything with support & cushioning) to work? If you work in a school, walking around the hard tile on concrete floors in non-cushioned shoes can be brutal (aka, why I no longer wear heels).

Jay, your weather sounds worse than mine was this weekend. I only had to deal with the 30 mph winds (and 50 mph gusts). I would have hit the snooze alarm had there been rain or snow in that mix. That came 8 hours before the race.

LRB

How the winner ran a 5:36 pace in that for 13.1 miles is mind boggling!

You didn't do too bad for yourself either.