Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #162 (Read 32 times)

onemile

I agree with you about the "don't deserve to die". Really, I do. Whatever punishment after the fact is not even good enough, actually. A dog who attacks a kid, we've all seen pictures of those. Ok so what if you kill the dog? Kid is still in the hospital. Ok fine the owner? Kid is still in the hospital.

I just don't accept a dog biting someone who is doing something in a public place. I do not care the reason. So from where I stand, whatever measure will scare dog owners enough so that they act in order to prevent dogs biting people is the measure to take. A fine? Euthanasia? I actually think that none of these measures are strong enough for people to simply tend carefully to their dogs, but what else is there to make dog owners understand that it is important, very important, that people should not feel theratened and unsafe because they like to own a dog?

I'm not for or against specific measures AFTER the fact. Just whatever it takes so it simply does not happen. That's what I'm for.

Well I agree with you on that. But I'd just rather punish the owner rather than destroy the animal.

And IMO there is a difference between dogs who bite and dogs who maul (pit bulls). a bite on the hand, or a nip on the butt, not breaking the skin is vastly different from a dog who attacks and won't stop (none should be allowed to happen - let me be clear on that - but the mauling dog is a danger and I am okay with that dog being euthanized)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I agree with you about the "don't deserve to die". Really, I do. Whatever punishment after the fact is not even good enough, actually. A dog who attacks a kid, we've all seen pictures of those. Ok so what if you kill the dog? Kid is still in the hospital. Ok fine the owner? Kid is still in the hospital.

I just don't accept a dog biting someone who is doing something in a public place. I do not care the reason. So from where I stand, whatever measure will scare dog owners enough so that they act in order to prevent dogs biting people is the measure to take. A fine? Euthanasia? I actually think that none of these measures are strong enough for people to simply tend carefully to their dogs, but what else is there to make dog owners understand that it is important, very important, that people should not feel theratened and unsafe because they like to own a dog?

I'm not for or against specific measures AFTER the fact. Just whatever it takes so it simply does not happen. That's what I'm for.

Charge the owner with assault and battery or whatever the appropriate criminal charge would be if the owner performed an equivalent act?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Well I agree with you on that. But I'd just rather punish the owner rather than destroy the animal.

And IMO there is a difference between dogs who bite and dogs who maul (pit bulls). a bite on the hand, or a nip on the butt, not breaking the skin is vastly different from a dog who attacks and won't stop (none should be allowed to happen - let me be clear on that - but the mauling dog is a danger and I am okay with that dog being euthanized)

+1

I don't believe pitbulls are vicious normally, but the good pitbull owners have them under control all the time because when they bite, it's not going to be pretty. Although that goes for every dog and the fucking chihuahuas especially, lol.

Damaris

onemile

Charge the owner with assault and battery or whatever the appropriate criminal charge would be if the owner performed an equivalent act?

sounds good to me.

sdWhiskers

Ehhh, all that is still completely unacceptable. A German Shepard got out of his house, ran up to me walking by and chomped me on the arm...if I had been a kid, that would have been their face. Or if I had my son in my stroller at the time? OMG I struggle to breathe just thinking about what could have happened.

I agree with Cyber that since many people can't be considerate and smart, there needs to be a much bigger incentive (I guess that's the right word?) to follow the laws. Threat of giant lawsuits? Jail time? But I want to see that happening when leash laws are broken, not only after a bite/attack. And if euthanasia is off the table, those aggressive dogs need to go somewhere, and not adopted out to unsuspecting folks.

LRB

I've owned several dogs and for me, it's a mindset that I am the alpha dog and do not tolerate the slightest hint of disobedience regardless of what he or she is being asked to do. This is in the house so when we were in public, it's double trouble! I just didn't play that shit. It ends and begins with me and just like potty training, I put hours upon hours upon hours of time into it.

I did have an odd occurrence once; a female boxer who was in heat and she must've caught wind of a male and took her little hot ass right up the street all the while completely ignoring my commands! It was the funniest thing because I was so upset but she was completely oblivious to me and everything else except them balls she was smelling. lol

onemile

I've owned several dogs and for me, it's a mindset that I am the alpha dog and do not tolerate the slightest hint of disobedience regardless of what he or she is being asked to do. This is in the house so when we were in public, it's double trouble! I just didn't play that shit. It ends and begins with me and just like potty training, I put hours upon hours upon hours of time into it.

with Bruno the first time he showed aggression to me, I shut that down immediately and he has not done it since and I have zero fears of taking anything out of his mouth or handling him in any way. his issue is with strangers touching him on the head (he loves to be pet/touched by his family).  And he gives zero growling / warning.  I've punished him immediately after the fact (and also had a private dog trainer come to my house) but come to the conclusion that not matter what I do, I just can't allow him to interact with strangers because I can't be 100% sure it won't happen again. I really don't think he would run up and bite someone - that's not his style at all but I would never in a million years chance it.    Anyway, I am constantly on guard to keep a bubble around us and consider it my job to protect HIM.

LRB

with Bruno the first time he showed aggression to me, I shut that down immediately and he has not done it since and I have zero fears of taking anything out of his mouth or handling him in any way. his issue is with strangers touching him on the head (he loves to be pet/touched by his family).  And he gives zero growling / warning.  I've punished him immediately after the fact (and also had a private dog trainer come to my house) but come to the conclusion that not matter what I do, I just can't allow him to interact with strangers because I can't be 100% sure it won't happen again. I really don't think he would run up and bite someone - that's not his style at all but I would never in a million years chance it.    Anyway, I am constantly on guard to keep a bubble around us and consider it my job to protect HIM.

You are doing it right. You've got a good read on him.

I got bit in the ass once, right in the middle. I told the chick that he looked like he didn't want any parts of me in their house and she came with that whole, he's a sweetheart, he's never bitten anyone, he loves people, yada, yada, yada. Next thing you know, CHOMP! Stupid ass. Learn how to read your dog lady!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

How about a public lashing?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Runshortii

I just got an email for a local 10 miler every year that I’ve done in the past. It got cancelled awhile ago (well became virtual) but apparently if people are still going to run the real course they want to know so they can have volunteers handing out water. I guess a lot of people are still running the regular course. Kind of defeats the purpose